Notices

Everyone in Florida Ok ?

Old 08-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Everyone in Florida Ok ?

Rob, glad to hear your inlaws are okay....the decision to leave the trailer more than likely saved her life.

Hundreds of people are still missing from the areas hardest hit. There is fear that one trailer park may have as many as 60 fatlities but no official announcement as of yet.
The video I saw today taken from a helicopter of the trailer park is beyond description. Nothing but devestation and debris. Nothing whatsoever standing. Just rubble after rubble. There is just not much that can stand up to SUSTAINED 145 mph winds. We had all of our animals in our master bedroom closet with a mattress against the door, and Deb and I were ready to go into the Master Bath with another matress to cover us. Then Charlie decided to follow Charlotte Harbor and we were spared. I believe our home would have withstood it but am certain we would have lost the roof. And of course, the boat. Even as well as I had it tied down, it wouldn't have taken those kinds of winds. No one ever expected it to be a Category 4 storm 12 hours out. By the time it was upgraded to that, it was too late to leave. Many people just got caught, not because of their stubborness or whatever, but because they did not realize just what they were up against. When the storm slowed so much after brushing Key West, that extra time allowed it to grow so much stronger. No one could have predicted that. I've already heard of one lawyer who wants to try to have a class action lawsuit against the Nation Hurricane Advisory Board. My wife's comment to that was "to hang him upside down above an alligator pit". Hurricanes are extremely unpredictable, a fact that the meteorologists kept HAMMERING HOME. It was over Arcadia before our local station stated that we were pretty much out of the woods. They kept stating over and over, this one was so blasted hard to track. It just goes to prove once again, that despite man's accomplishments, we are nothing against "Mother Nature". All we can do at this point is hope and pray.

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 08-14-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:48 PM
Banned

I think they should quit making predictions. It gives some that could be caught in the storm with a false sense of security. They should just say there is a storm out there and everyone should be ready, then keep us updated with the track.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Well,let me tell ya ..........Daytona took a beating.Most of daytona ormond New Smyrna and Port Orange have no power.Everything is closed.ISB west of Clyde Morris is the only place that has power and places to eat and such.
I was at a friends house last night and literally stood out n the storm.AWESOME!
Very quiet and then all hell broke loose.Maybe for an hour it was unreal.90plus in Daytona area.I drove home about 11pm and it took me an hour to drive 7 miles.Luckily and oddly my house has power.Very small area that actually has power.
The only thing that suffered for me was the poor Bayliner... she suffered a shattered windshield.The cover ripped off and the windshield went somewhere...I dunno...it's just not there but some glass is.
\Terry
Old 08-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
I think they should quit making predictions. It gives some that could be caught in the storm with a false sense of security. They should just say there is a storm out there and everyone should be ready, then keep us updated with the track.
I agree.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got in from cleaning up since sunrise. Don't really know what kind of damage is like locally. Phone still works, cell phone works sometimes and Nex-tel (no-Tel) hasn't worked since last night Cable is out and I can't find antenna's for the TV We live 5-10 miles South of Orlando Int Airport (East Lake Toho). Power went out about 1 hr before the start of the storm. Power still out, we had a tornado come down our street about 6 years ago and it took about a week to get the power turned back on then. So I don't have high hopes of having power any time soon. We camped out in the master bedroom and some of the things that hit the boarded up windows were scary. I tried to play it cool because i didn't want to freak out my 7 yr old twin girls. All the girls wanted to do was go to sleep but I made them stay up in case we had to move to a different part of the house. They were pissed that I made them wear shoes in case there was glass on the floor if we had to move. All in all we came out OK, lost shingles, screens on the patio, and a couple of 100 feet of privacy fence. Broke the 4x4's right at the ground level. Kind of strange most broke in the west direction, but had some brake towards the south, east and north. Oak trees took a hard hit still standing but lots of broken limbs, lots still stuck up in the trees. And not very many leaves left on the trees. Seems like there are more leaves on the bottom of the pool than the trees. All in all we did OK. Thanks to the generator we have lights, ceiling fans and running water so can't complain. The girls wanted to sleep in the Suburban tonight with the AC on My heart goes out to all the other people that lost everything
Old 08-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

We are OK, I wish could say the same for alot of other Floridians!
Dean
Old 08-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27mmLoto
Terry Sobo, if you read this check in. I do not want to tie up the area phone lines for a day or 2 but I would like to know that you all made it through in good shape.
Steve Cornwell
I just talked to terry on his cell he's ok the plant is ok but still without power, They just restored power here in naples,
Old 08-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Finally got in touch with ChrisK yesterday. He is without power and they had to cut trees out of the street to get to where they had cell phone service. Other than some tree damage, his area is OK.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is our favorite "perp thumper" Rolly?..... is he up north?...
Old 08-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Registered

Happened to be up here in Pittsburgh for this one. Talked to ChrisK on Friday night and called Hugetime on Saturday. Glad to see Jason is ok. Now I just wonder if my other boat that is for sale just north of Orlando is ok. Havent heard from the dealer so I am assuming so.

Quick Reply: Everyone in Florida Ok ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.