Survey says ... oops, missed that >

Survey says ... oops, missed that

Notices

Survey says ... oops, missed that

Old 08-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Survey says ... oops, missed that

I was down cleaning the boat this morning. It's still not ruuning while I wait for carb parts, but I thought at least it could look nice for the storms tonight. While cleaning out the rear below-deck storage I stepped into the one compartment and heard a nice squish and watched the water flow out through a crack along a seam. Some stepping/pounding around shows at least a 12"x18" area of definate delam and I'm sure rot. I'll have to cut back the top laminates and see if I'm at least lucky enough for it to be confined to the inside of the compartment. If it goes forward under the rear fuel tank bulkhead I'll write it off and get out of boating for a few years.

Should have kept the old boat I guess, as this one isn't going anywhere this year.

-Greg
Old 08-14-2004, 06:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Re: Survey says ... oops, missed that

Sorry to hear that Greg..Hang in there, your luck has to change for the better soon!

Craig
Old 08-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Survey says ... oops, missed that

Finally a break ... of sorts. Turns out that it was only the floor in the storage compartment, which had been added sometime after the hull was built and was not structural. Pealing off the glass that held it in a couple places the hull laminations seem solid. Fired up the roto-tool (you can never have too many tools) and cut off the top layer of glass, broke out a couple rotted places of the wood (suprisingly only a small area was really rotten, so maybe it hasn't been wet to long), and was able to pull all the old "floor" out.

Good thing I did, as the compartment below it was full of water. Seems it has drains running into it from forward in the hull, and when whoever glassed in the sub-floor glassed over the drain out of that compartment. Circular saws make a lot of spray when it cuts through into a compartment full of water.

Looking at the true hull inside the compartment everything looks solid. Letting things dry out before reinstalling a drain from the compartment to the bilge pump area, then need to do a more thorough check.

There is a similar floor in the other compartment, but it looks like it may have been factory. I can see where there was an earlier floor that was cutout of the compartment I just opened. I'll probably put an access panel (at least) into the other one just to make sure it's drains are all in place.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

-Greg