Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85210-another-fatality-time-up-1000-islands.html)

Audiofn 08-14-2004 05:15 PM

Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

I was up at the 1000 Islands poker run today with TopDJ and Monica. We were waiting for the boats to come back up the lake after the lunch stop. We had JUST seen a Baja LAUNCH, and I MEAN LAUNCH off this large cruiser wake and come down, bow stear and then stop. Then up the lake comes a Fountain, and what looked to me to be a HTM cat. The cat was all red and about 25 feet long. I will try not to speculate any but he (the cat and Fountain) were traveling up the lake VERY fast and then they hit the cruiser wake. The cat flipped. Top, Monica and I checked through our binoculars and noticed that the boat was not right side up and got the the area as fast as possible (maybe 2-3 min tops) The boat was already gone. Some other boaters pulled one girl out of the water but there was another person missing. When we left they had called the dive team.

Jon

Rippem 08-14-2004 05:24 PM

Re: Another fatality up at the 1000 Islands

Very sorry to hear of this. These were NOT poker runners correct?

This happened in the River right, not out on Lake Ontario?

thedonz 08-14-2004 05:25 PM

man, I'm sorry to hear that, terrible news...my thoughts and prayers with them

Audiofn 08-14-2004 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem
Very sorry to hear of this. These were NOT poker runners correct?

This happened in the River right, not out on Lake Ontario?

Yes I should have been more clear about this. They were NOT involved in the poker run as best I could tell. They were headed in the opposite direction of the other boats.

Rippem 08-14-2004 05:37 PM

Jon, living 20 mins from the Bay and having been boating here all my life, I must say your choice of wording makes it sound as though there's a fatality every week. This simply isn't true. The safety record of the area is excellent. Probably one of the best in the nation, considering the traffic and navigation hazards (read: 1000 shoals).

scarabchick34 08-14-2004 05:39 PM

thats terrible...my deepest sympathies go out to them

Audiofn 08-14-2004 05:39 PM

No Rippem just the seemingly LARGE number of them this year nation wide. As for the safty out on the water..... Well lets just say that it is not the worst that I have seen but FAR from the best. People seemed to be all over. Best I have seen as for a place like that is LOTO. You just stay to the right...

OldSchool 08-14-2004 06:16 PM

Re: Another fatality, this time, up at the 1000 Islands

Sad news :(

Sean H 08-14-2004 06:24 PM

ain't that the truth!!!!

Rippem 08-14-2004 06:36 PM

Ageed Jon, lots of bad things happening this season, really in the last 12-18 mos. nationwide. In my area, it's really only a clusterf**k right around Alex Bay (narrowest of the entire Seaway) and Lake of the Isles. There are so many "tourist" boaters and newbies who don't know how to go anywhere else. They are scared to death of all the rocks...it keeps them contained. :) They're missing so much, but then again I'm grateful for that. ;) River Rats and locals get to enjoy the other 99% of the 1000 Islands without the idiots. :)

If open water's what you want it's only 30 mins at cruise to Lake Ontario.
All the room to run you could possibly want, and laid back shore destinations.
I find myself in the Lake more all the time.

I keep my boat in the water right in Alex Bay, and have for a long time.
I've seen all kinds of scary things....

Again, my prayers for those involved in todays accident.