Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   PowerBoat Mag's article on Centek bilge filters (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85311-powerboat-mags-article-centek-bilge-filters.html)

NJgr8ful 08-16-2004 01:10 PM

PowerBoat Mag's article on Centek bilge filters

1 Attachment(s)
While reading Sept. issue of PB saw an item that I'm going to pick up and install today :cool: Did a quick search and found no other references to this product on OSO :confused: On pg.56 they install a Centek bige filter kit, looks like a cheap, quick, easy and best of all smart addition to any boat. I don't sell or represent them or even know anyone that sells them ... I just love the idea and think it's a great thing for every boat.

I called down to Ken at CentekIndustries dotcom, super nice guy, and he spent few minutes expaining the technology and product. Seems that this patented Mycelx product was invented after the Exxon Valdez oil spill and this stuff has the ability to remove oil, gas, diesel %99.99 and then allows you to safely discharge water from your hull! And it's 100% better than the soaps and detergents we (I) throw in bilge and then 'think' we are 'safely' removing all the oils etc.. That stuff just wraps around the oil, making it heavier, only to discharge it and leave it on the bottom to kill wildlife from the bottom up :(

This removes it and then you remove the filter and bring it down to the recycler ... I'm no tree hugger, but think this concept is right on! hmmmm ... I may even think about being a distributor in NJ lol :D :D

Check it out ... and what do you think??? click here for their website and some good info.

Ange 08-16-2004 01:15 PM

Re: PowerBoat Mag's article on Centek bilge filters

You have SEPT. issue? Geez, I went to my local Barnes and Noble on Saturday to get one and it was still the JULY issue. What's up with that?

NJgr8ful 08-16-2004 01:19 PM

LOL ange, I have no contacts there either!! hehe :p :p

Hey, I'm done with mine ... If ya want I'll send it to ya!?? ;)

Ange 08-16-2004 01:45 PM

Thanks! lol The bad thing is, I DO know the mag supplier around here. Perhaps a well placed phone call....we'll see!

Ron P 08-16-2004 03:04 PM

You can get bilge filters at www.proroc.com in brick NJ also. Thier own patented brand.

NJgr8ful 08-16-2004 05:44 PM

Thanks Ron! So you can use those brand filters in the Centek application? Does Proroc sell the whole package? I'll check out the website.

Do you have this set up on any of your boats?

Ange ... I'd say a free years subscription is called for ... fer sher :)

Ron P 08-16-2004 09:01 PM

Funny, I just did I write up about the Proroc filter and then PB does a filter from another manufacturer. Go figuere. Call Rolf. His is very different from what's in PB.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-16-2004 09:26 PM

From what I am told, Proroc's system goes one step further.

While sitting in dry dock, they have a unit that will screw into your drain plug hole. This way, any water that drains from the bilge will get filtered prior to hitting the ground. Any boat that is stored on their premises indeed gets one. Prevents the larger headaches later if the property were to become contaminated..... :eek:

NJgr8ful 08-16-2004 10:26 PM

:cool: Thanks sharkey. Maybe I can still pickup the drain plug from proroc. The Centek/Mycelx line sells different sized pads or bilge blankets that you can get down there, but the plug option sounds good.

Looks like PB scooped your scoop Ron :rolleyes:

timewarp 08-17-2004 12:08 AM

I noticed in that install article that they removed the "siphon Break"(I think that's what it's called, it keeps water from siphoning back into the boat if the outlet gets underwater and the pump doesn't come on for some reason) I don't think that's a smart thing to do, the break was put in by the boat manufacturer for a reason.

Just something I noticed, if you have a siphon break don't remove it just install the filter along with it, whom ever wrote the article called it an elbow but it's more than just an elbow.

My $.02

Caleb