Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
EMI Thunder, Stainless Marine Hi-torque or Lightning Magnum? >

EMI Thunder, Stainless Marine Hi-torque or Lightning Magnum?

Notices

EMI Thunder, Stainless Marine Hi-torque or Lightning Magnum?

Old 08-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EMI Thunder, Stainless Marine Hi-torque or Lightning Magnum?

I had a set of Stainless Marine Dry on a 502mag mpi and picked up 150rpm's, but I also had the ecu changed and some intake work so I don't know what the Stainless gave me. They did sound great and had no problems, but I only put 40hrs on them so I have no long term experience but many others claim they are the way to go if you're in salt water.
Now when I bought mine they were more than $2K and for less than that I could have bought the Lightning Headers, which to me, boating on fresh water, Lightning headers would be a much better deal. Less money, more performance.
Other than the Revolutions, Lightning Headers are less expensive or the same as a cast Al manifold in cost, are a true header simular to CMI's Sport Tube design, plus everyone I've talked to who've installed them has seen a performance gain and that is carb and efi. For fresh water applications..how can you beat that?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

is cmi backed up on orders???friend is trying to get a set of s pipes and seems to be getting the blow off. how many units do they build for mercury with the 525???
Old 08-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

oh , btw , i'm stainless marine 100%. dry
Old 08-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am interested in the Stainless Marine, CMI and Lightnings for a future 550 HP upgrade to my 496 Mag HO. Raylar has had great dyno results with the Lightnings and Stainless Marine Gen III. The advantage in strength handling rough water (no cracking) goes to the Stainless Marine. However, I talked to Stainless Marine and the Gen III only comes with 4 1/2 in collectors that won't match up with my 4" Corsa muffler tips. I asked if they could fabricate a reduction in collector diameter to 4" and was told very unlikely.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Registered

The lightning headers worked great for me so far. I got really lucky, added the headers and roller rockers on my carbed 502 and picked up 7 mph on a GPS so far, consistantly 4 -5 mph faster.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 PM
27mmLoto

I have run the same set of Lightenings since spring of '97. The original engines were 600 HP single 4bbl 496 cid iron block chevy's. This year I went to 800+ hp R-tech super cooled Vortechs on the same blocks with lower compression. I called Lighting to see if I should be buying some new Headers as these had several hundred hours on them, and I didn't want to risk hurting a fresh engine, He told me not to worry about them as they will leak to the outside first. So I sent them to the powdwer coater (Kruses Custom Powder Coating, a great guy doing great work. And no I do not have any interest in his company he has just done such great work for me that I want him to succeed)
I would recommend them to anybody. I have had several friends say that it sounds like a Pro stocker when I light it up. Maybe not as sexy as the full stainless CMI headers but a lot of bang for the buck. They now make a full polished stainless unit so if you want to pay the extra for that look you can get it. However you can get them powder coated for a couple hundred $ The finish lasts, they look better than Gils and you can change the color to match you new paint jobs every few years.
Steve