Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
22 Foot 1996 Scarab, good? >

22 Foot 1996 Scarab, good?

Notices

22 Foot 1996 Scarab, good?

Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Pennywizz6

Default Re: 22 Foot 1996 Scarab, good?

Wow, haha i cant beleive how many posts there are... I do boat on the st.croix and mississippi river! But at that time ran a small 2002 19 1/2 foot glastron sx, just sold for 13k and ready for an upgrade. I stay at kinnikinkic *spelling?* Do you know if the 21 foot hammer has a cuddy?

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited by Pennywizz6; 08-18-2004 at 03:43 PM.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pennywizz6
Do you know if the 21 foot hammer has a cuddy?
Yes it does, but it had the same crawl-through type access. Not knee-friendly by any means.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Pennywizz6

I did found a baja hammer 21 or 22 foot, i dont exactly remember but it was a marina boat and stored on the water and has the very unattractive green grime around the whole boat, how hard is that to get off? And i think for 18 or 19k it might have even been a 1999. I still have tons of time and was atually planning on buying in spring. When is the best time for boat buying? If I got it in the spring that means you can run it pretty soon but that also might bring the price up a tad. Im also planning on moving to hastings minnesota. Right next to the river

Thanks,

Phil

Last edited by Pennywizz6; 08-18-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Pennywizz6

I was looking at more boat classifieds online at a few different places and I found a 1999 21 foot baja hammer for 19,500 and another for 19,999 They both look great. But were salt water run and on the complete opposite end of the country in florida! I have some thinking to do haha. Ive heard bajas run pretty rough, is this true or just an inaccurate rumor?

Thanks,

Phil

Old 08-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 Boss Hammer and have been very very happy with it. I was going for the Scarab at first, but after looking at the Hammers I was sold. You do have to crawl in the cabin...same as the Scarab, but there's plenty of room, at least for me. 2 can sleep and I think the cabin on the Hammer is a bit bigger. I like the looks of the Scarab, but the interior just turned me off when compared to the Hammer. There's nothing wrong with the Scarab, they are great boats....I just happened to like the overall Hammer package better and ended up going that route.

As far as getting that grime off...there are plenty of cleaners that'll help you out. I mostly use Simple Green but there are some others out there that are stronger if thats what you need.

Not sure as to what you mean by Baja's running rough. I can say that I've hung right in there with some much larger boats in some rough stuff. Now true we're only talking about a 22footer here so your not going to go crushing waves by any means......but either the Scarab or the Hammer will hold their own. I actually thought the Hammer rode better then the Scarab....but again, thats only my opinion and it's just something you'll have to decide for yourself.

I might be selling it soon also.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:58 PM
blackhawk

Originally Posted by robyw1
I also have to take issue with you on the Classic. I looked at the Donzi Classic 3 years ago and was not at all impressed. Great name but they didn't take the care needed to make the lower priced smaller boat.

Roby
Why were you not impressed? The Classic is a much more expensive boat but the are built rock solid!

Old 08-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pennywizz6
Wow, haha i cant beleive how many posts there are... I do boat on the st.croix and mississippi river! But at that time ran a small 2002 19 1/2 foot glastron sx, just sold for 13k and ready for an upgrade. I stay at kinnikinkic *spelling?* Do you know if the 21 foot hammer has a cuddy?

Thanks,

Phil
Either boat will work fine for the St. Croix. They will do pretty good on the Mississippi most of the time if you aren't in a hurry. If you plan to do a lot of high speed running or plan to come down and play on Lake Pepin a lot you may want to look a little bigger.

If it where me I would go for the Hammer hands down. Don't forget there are a lot of other brands out there.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: 22 Foot 1996 Scarab, good?

Take a look at this boat. I have seen it first hand. It is a 1993 Baja 22 with a 1998 454 EFI\Bravo1 installed by Scott Mander\Intense Marine of N Miami. Comes with an allmost new aluminum trailer. He is at $10,500. Not bad if you have 20k to spend. You can set it up how you want it with the difference. No matter if you buy a perfect used boat or a new boat, you most likely will want to modify it to your taste. The owner is at 305.962.1495

Good Luck

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails 22 Foot 1996 Scarab, good?-93baja22-454efi-brav1.jpg  
Old 08-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackhawk
Why were you not impressed? The Classic is a much more expensive boat but the are built rock solid!
The same issues they everyone complains about in other boats. Stress cracks, floor was a bit soft in the rear most portion broken seat bolts. It had tears in vinyl too but I won't hold that against it because that could have been user neglect.

Roby
Old 08-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Pennywizz6

Sorry, I am unable to view the attachment, i dont know if ill get the upgraded user account, but if you are willing to send the attachment to my e-mail ([email protected]) would be greatly appreciated. Ive took some interest on a 1999 21 foot hammer for 19,999$ it is alot for me though, but its at my limit (It better come with a full gas tank ) The interior might be woth it with the race trims and fancy seats, the scarab was perdy darn plain, but thats not the biggest deal in the world. There was a nice checkmate too, but was having some issues of cracking, i think ill stay away from that, its a headache waiting. Still got time still got research, but im sure ill find a great boat... eventually

Phil

Quick Reply: 22 Foot 1996 Scarab, good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.