A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring >

A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Notices

A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Old 08-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Maybe not the story you were expecting from the title but anyway...

Last Sunday morning I was messing around on my boat on the trailer in my driveway. To make a long story I went to hop off the side of the cockpit, something Ive done thousands of times, and my wedding ring got snagged on something on the boat. This ripped my finger apart and nearly removed it from my hand. Id post pics but its pretty gruesome. Now for the good part. Now falling off the boat because of the finger snag I land kind of sideways on one foot and shatter my heel. So there I am hopping on one foot trying to hold my finger on. An ambulance ride later and I'm in the ER getting my finger stitched and my foot x-rayed. Two days later I have surgery on my heel and am the proud new owner of 9 screws and a plate and a very tender bone graft site on my hip.

Enough of the sob story. Not looking for sympathy here. I guess the moral of the story is ...BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS and if you wear rings think about taking them off when around your boat.

So now sitting here in bed recovering from the surgery I am thankful that I am expected to make a full recovery and the fact that I have a wonderful family and friends. My wife is the greatest and I couldn't imagine going through this without her. My 4 year old son is taking things well and has seemed to have matured a bit from the experience. And now I don't feel guilty anymore for blowing a bunch of cash on a new notebook PC and a wireless network for the house last month.

Since my boating season is over for the year looks like I will have to experience boating through you guys for a while.

So.... POST UP GUYS... I'M BORED!!!!!!!!

Later,

Ron
Old 08-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Ouch! That totally sucks. Sorry to hear.

That's just one of the reasons I don't wear my ring.

Another reason is, one time I got a nasty bug bite on my ring finger and it began swelling up...it might of been a mosquito, spider, hell I don't know, but it was itching and swelling. Anyway, a short while later, there was no circulation and it was turning blue. A lot of ice and soap later, it finally came off, but I thought I was going to have to cut one of them off...the ring or my finger.

Then again, I just don't like rings. I'm not good with hand jewelry, I do too many things around the house, boat or truck without even thinking and I end up trashing them and scratching them all to hell.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good grief man. I wish I hadn't read this....I bet it'll happen to me next. Glad your ok now though....geez what an experience to say the least.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered

Yet another persuasive reason for me not o get married .m j/k glad you're o.k.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:26 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

Glad you are going to make a full recovery. That is one reason I dont wear my college ring anymore. Heard too many similar stories.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Ouch!!!!!!

Similar story, but not nearly as bad.

I was working on a resto job on a 69 Road Runner and it had no doors or windows. I was wearing shorts and stepped up on the door sill to wipe the center of the roof off. When I went to step down my shorts got caught on the body where the passenger door meets the rear window. (Non post car) My feet never touched the ground and I for a split second I was dangling horizontal from the ground....until my shorts ripped. Then I took the 3 foot fall to the ground on my azz. For about a week I had a giant bruise on each azz cheek.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Registered

Watched my neighbor swing around the chain link fence that seperates my yard and his, he was on the bulkhead. When he slipped off the bulkhead into the water his ring caught the end of one of the "wires" which turned his ring into a tear drop shape cutting him clean down to the bone. If the wire didn't bend and finally let go he would have lost his finger.

Jumping off the back of the Whaler once I caught my big toe in the center hole of the cleat. Almost ripped my toe off, took almost 2 years before it healed without pain.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 08-17-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjcardinal
................and if you wear rings think about taking them off when around your boat.

I bet most married guys do that already when the wife isn't around!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered

I have a friend who ripped his whole finger off, his was caught on a cleat.. He did the exact same thing. I can't beleive how many times this has happened. Another reason not to be married.

Quick Reply: A Man, His Boat, and a Wedding Ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.