Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   PIB Mystery Sickness and not the normal hangover (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85430-pib-mystery-sickness-not-normal-hangover.html)

cgarrett 08-18-2004 12:45 AM

PIB Mystery Sickness and not the normal hangover

I finally have something to blame it on other then all the beer.

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com...s/1064631.html

By RICK NEALE
Staff writer
Port Clinton News Hearld

PUT-IN-BAY -- County health officials have received a new outbreak of reports from people who say they were sickened by an unidentified gastrointestinal illness at Put-in-Bay.

"(Monday), we received 94 calls from 94 people who said they have symptoms," Health Commissioner Nancy Osborn said. "We have not yet interviewed those people."

In recent weeks, a mystery sickness has afflicted Put-in-Bay residents, summer workers and visitors. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, fever, headache, abdominal cramps and diarrhea, typically lasting up to 24 hours or so.

The Ohio Department of Health classifies the incidents as an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness, Osborn has said. Laboratory analysis is being performed on stool and vomit samples from stricken victims.

As of this morning, the source of the illness and methods of transmission had not been identified. Osborn said results are expected later this week.

In addition to Monday's wave of 94 calls, Osborn said health officials previously interviewed 73 people stricken with illness associated with the outbreak. Interview statistics from Monday's calls remained unavailable this morning.

"We're very busy -- and we've taken people from their other jobs to be disease interviewers," Osborn said.

Health inspectors continue to visit Put-in-Bay on a daily basis. Osborn provided the following details on the ongoing investigation:

Some food service establishments are now operating on alternate water supplies.

Water sample testing has revealed some unsafe wells on South Bass Island.

Samples of the village water supply have tested safe. Put-in-Bay's public water network primarily serves the downtown area.
On Aug. 6, county health workers emphasized frequent hand-washing during a pair of public meetings at Put-in-Bay Village Hall. The meetings were geared for island residents and workers in "at-risk" occupations, including food service, child care and health care employees.

To report the illness
Victims of the unidentified Put-in-Bay gastrointestinal illness should contact the Ottawa County Health Department at 419-734-6800.

Reed Jensen 08-18-2004 01:19 AM

Re: PIB Mystery Sickness and not the normal hangover

Hmmmm maybe PIB stands for Poop in Bay... :eek:

packinair 08-18-2004 02:00 AM

Ha !!!! Lame!!!! I Have Had That Problem Every Time I Have Ever Been There

CigDaze 08-18-2004 07:56 AM

What I want to know is who's puttin' what, where, in the bay?
Maybe there's your answer...:D :D

JUSTONCE 08-18-2004 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Baja Daze
What I want to know is who's puttin' what, where, in the bay?
Maybe there's your answer...:D :D

P.I.B. everybodys putting everything evrywhere. A flu is the safest thing you'll catch there. :crazy:

CigDaze 08-18-2004 08:27 AM

Okay, but we need pics! :D :D
Uncensored preferred...

Airpacker 08-18-2004 08:30 AM

So just how does PIB dispose of the toilet water anyway? Submerged drain pipe in the bay perchance?

Chris 08-18-2004 11:17 AM

All kidding aside, I was going to go to PIB this weekend, now I am not sure if I should.

fund razor 08-18-2004 11:24 AM

Chris,
My cousin and his family are full year residents and own a home there.
Go ahead and go. The "city" water at PIB is fine. A couple private systems that have wells and septic systems close together are suspect. Specifically: Heinemanns winery and that store/bar with the guy's name that used to be Pat Dailey's (not on main drag)

The Jet Express boats are still taking 200 passengers an hour over there.

Idea: drink bottled water.

There is no plague on PIB. Just a little E Coli getting into a couple older wells.

Happens in rural areas more often than people think.

J-Bonz 08-18-2004 02:11 PM

Don't go!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's reeeaaaallll bad. The health department is shutting down the hole island as we speak!!! NO BOATS IN, NO BOATS OUT!!! Looks like that way for the whole weekend!!!!
So, if you have docking reservations at Lads Marina, CALL AND CANCEL.
Because I need a dock for this weekend