Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ideas on why my Air conditioning in my truck doesn't work >

Ideas on why my Air conditioning in my truck doesn't work

Notices

Ideas on why my Air conditioning in my truck doesn't work

Old 08-18-2004, 10:42 PM
merlin540

Default Re: Ideas on why my Air conditioning in my truck doesn't work

sounds like no orifice tube in system e/mail me i could fax you a diagram off mitchell seeya

Old 08-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the system was open after the collision they may have only changed the broken parts and left the receiver/dryer open to the atmosphere during the repair. The receiver/driver will absorb moisture and most vacuum pumps wont be left on long enough to pull the moisture out of the dryer. So the dryer may be comprimised and limiting the systems potential.

Ron
Old 08-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

wow. odd.

Are you checking the high side before any filters or screens? (make sure you are, or if not, then that filter may be full of crap).

Orifice tube missing or torn. This is the main part that creates the high/low pressure separation. Right after the orifice tube, you would measure the lowest pressure in the entire system (if it was running and you had a pressure port there, which you don't).

Clogged dryer/filter would show low pressures on the low side, I think (I can't remember if the pressure port is before or after the screen on the dryer..).
Clogged or restrictive condenser would show high high side pressures.

Lack of a proper high low differential sounds to me like an expansion valve problem. GM's don't use expansion valves on most products, and instead use a metering orifice called an orifice tube. They make different sizes for different models (color coded) and you might have the wrong one...

It definitely ain't right.
And yes, bad compressor COULD cause the problem you're having, but I sort of don't think it is the compressor's fault.

Doesn't matter, insurance should pay to fix whatever it is, unless they can show that it is an unrelated problem. I've had Allstate go back and fix peripheral systems after crash damage. They were pretty good about it.

mc
Old 08-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like the orifice tube may have been left out or is an old R12 type(wrong size) because the 96 body style uses the same condensor as an 89 thru 93 which would have been an r12 vehicle. If it has an r12 orifice tube in it, the low side pressure will be high and the high side will be low. Many aftermarket condensors came with an r12 tube in them because they are OLD stock pieces. One other possibility is that a chunk of garbage became lodged in one of the compressor valves due to the collision or the repair.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:51 AM
OPA
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Your A/c Light On The Dash Is Blinking You Need To Change
The Switch On The Dash It Cost $169.00 At The Dealership I Just Went Through The Same Thing.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

No blinking light on the dash. The colision shop said they do not have the expertise to fix it, so now I have to get a hold of the insurance company and see what they want me to do.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any good AC shop will get you going quickly. My money is on the expansion tube like I posted earlier. The job should not take more than a couple of hours at most. Sam