Notices

Long Lake & Loud Boats

Old 07-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Long Lake & Loud Boats

Originally Posted by cuda
Boater29=Troll
Cuda....Shooosh! It's feeding time and I'm busy doing my job.

Buck
Old 07-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol

You guys are a riot. Too bad you are serious about this. It will just put a crimp in your fun over time.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Registered

Interesting concept. Someone offers suggestions on how to improve your sport and fun - and they get banned. Odd, self-centered approach.

High performance boats can be a lot of fun. I like my boat and before I bought it I did a test drive to make sure it was quiet. I like my neighbors and see no need to get them ticked off at my noise. I seriously feel this will go a longer way to promote what you all like to do.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC performance engine
You will soon be banned.
Why ?......

29....I am old...I hate Fart Tubes,Loud Rap Music,Noisy jap bikes & screaming kids......But, Others probably like it....It is none of my business....
I have more important things to worry about................
Old 07-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by boater29
Interesting concept. Someone offers suggestions on how to improve your sport and fun - and they get banned. Odd, self-centered approach.

High performance boats can be a lot of fun. I like my boat and before I bought it I did a test drive to make sure it was quiet. I like my neighbors and see no need to get them ticked off at my noise. I seriously feel this will go a longer way to promote what you all like to do.

Self centered approach...sheesh, ummm...look in the mirror.

Your boat is quiet...it's not a high performance boat.

You remind me of the little boy that always cried to mommy when somebody didn't play nice in the sand box, or at least didn't play the way you wanted them too.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

This issue hits very close to home. Over the last couple of years, the local marine patrol in my area has been getting more and more noise complaints. The lake that I boat on is 38miles long and 1 mile wide. It's a fairly sizable lake. This year, since I play an active role in the Seneca Power Boat Association, I decided to set-up a voluntary db. testing work day with the marine patrol and the DEC. The officers agreed not to issue violations but rather let people know where they had to be. The day went great. We had approx 20 boats show up. 16 passed (under 90 db.[NYS sound limit] 1 meter back and one meter up, ) 4 failed. After everybody had their boats tested I had an opportunity to talk with the officers. They were thrilled with the results and were even more excited that they FINALLY had some AMMO to take to the local legislation. I also found out that many (MANY) of the complaints were reported by the same two individuals (One guy called in over 150 times). Most of the guys with the marine patrol or DEC actually think performance boats are pretty cool. They do however, have to act on a complaint which takes time, most of which could be doing something more productive. I was really surprised with their attitudes. It was kind of like they were happy as hell to have something to finally jam in the face of the complainers. I imagine that complaints get old after awhile. One of the tiny little factors that "complainers" have to remember is that a 90 db. boat is still a LOUD BOAT. It is also a passable boat in the state of NY. All of the test were done very professionally. Ambient air noise readings were taken, air density, Air temp, the proper distance was measured etc. etc. Each test took about 20 minutes.
I was really happy with the results. I felt it was a good step in getting involved with the noise issue. I really think that more performance groups should take similar steps to get involved. At least it lets the local authorities know you want to get involved and remedy the problem. Our attempt was the first ever of it's kind on Seneca Lake. just my .02
Check out www.senecapowerboats.com to see a few pictures of the db. testing day.
Attached Thumbnails Long Lake & Loud Boats-3-db..jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Registered

I bet boater29 lives on lake norman, we have something every summer on the news or in the paper about speed boats and how we need speed limits on the lake.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:40 AM
Banned

Wow, have things changed. We had a summer camp on Long Lake in Bridgton back in 74. The family boat was a 17' Larson with a 110 mercuriser. Then the speed boats were bass boats with 125 mercs. The big issue was laundermat discharge. It was a great place to spend the summer. Wish I had my Dominator on that lake. Reading this thread makes me miss the place.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:51 AM
Registered

Lake Norman is a great place. There are rules of the road that boaters must follow - otherwise we have accidents. Going at high speed increases the risk of an accident - and not seeing the other boat. I can not remember where I saw the picture - of a boat cut in half by another boat going at high speed - at night. Everyone on board died.

High speed depends on the situation. Out in the open ocean is very different from on a small lake - even Norman. On a weekend it can be like driving fast in a supermarket parking lot. Irresponsible behavior in both cases. The boats are not the problem. It is drivers who do not realize they have to stay at least 200 feet (in most states) away from other boats, skiers, docks, swim floats, and downed skiers. Plus, the overtaken boat has right of way. Have a large body of water and the situation gets better for everyone.

How big is that Long Lake Red mentioned?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you read this on their web site?

We have temporarily removed the boat noise videos from our website so as to more clearly emphasize LRSLAÕs broad mission. The videos were displayed online to give viewers some idea of the negative impact boats that operate outside MaineÕs boat noise regulations have on our waterways. Noisy boats are just one of our many concerns as we work to make our state waterways safe and enjoyable for all users.

It appears they are not an arm of the governement but a private vigilante group using a law to extend their self serving agenda. They do not have the right to tape you and post it on their web site as an offender of their self imposed righteous wishes. These idiots apparently have never heard of the privacy act or liable suits.

They have the same laws in Ohio. As long as you are NOT being an idiot they leave you alone

Last edited by expresscat39; 07-25-2005 at 05:27 AM.