Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Viper car vs. Viper Velocity Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85540-viper-car-vs-viper-velocity-boat.html)

CAP071 08-19-2004 03:33 PM

Viper car vs. Viper Velocity Boat

Did anyone happen to read the article in this month's Boating magazine about how they raced a Viper car and a viper powered velocity boat from Miami to key west cannonball run style ?

magnum27 08-19-2004 03:40 PM

Re: Viper car vs. Viper Velocity Boat

I have read where a magazine did that with a Ferrari and a Cigarette many years ago. From what I can remember, the Ferrari won by not much.

jmeng 08-19-2004 03:48 PM

Actually the old article was a Ferrari vs a 42' McManus

CBR 08-20-2004 10:58 PM

Yeah, the guys in the boat had balls busting through six foot seas, outside all the way to Key West. Broke a tab in the process, not a fun trip but definately one to remember....they beat the Viper by 45 minutes!

CAP071 08-21-2004 05:43 AM

yea the Viper was stuck in traffic also. Didn't the Viper also get stopped by cops and a ticket also?

mr_velocity 08-21-2004 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by CAP071
yea the Viper was stuck in traffic also. Didn't the Viper also get stopped by cops and a ticket also?

But the Viper didn't have to deal with 6' speed bumps. If the Viper had a clean shot there wouldn't have even been an interest in promoting this, it would have just blasted all the way down at 150 mph. Both had to deal with what was thrown at them, the boat had the big seas, the car had traffic and cops. I've dealt with all three on my way to Key West.

open87 08-21-2004 07:55 AM

550 hp. sure would like to hear what that motor sounds like :D last time i drove to k w it took forever going and coming back. think next time i will fly or take the boat from marco island or did the storm damage that area to??

open87 08-21-2004 08:05 AM

i wanted to do the seaplane thing out to the fort. that has got to be a unbeliveable view. :)

Jamie B. 08-21-2004 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fever Mike
What is the top speed of the 390 Velocity with the Viper engines?

It was stated as 100 mph, and I think it was a 360 Velocity, not a 390.

CBR 08-21-2004 12:39 PM

Open72, take the ferry to the Fort, along with your camping gear and a rental kayak from Key West. Camp there for a few days, then take the seaplane back. We did this about ten years ago, it was fantastic! Nothing like walking around the ocean surrounded moat "sidewalk", next to the creepy fort at 3 in the morning, watching all the nightime sealife cavort in the clear water at your feet. Then, in your own kayak, you can cruise/snorkel for miles over the shallow water, far away from the crowds that come to the fort between 11 am and 3 PM.