Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Gallardo is SWEEET! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85640-gallardo-sweeet.html)

thisistank 08-21-2004 07:16 PM

The Gallardo is SWEEET!

Anyone thinking of buying one of these Lambos? I drove one last night and that frickin thing straight gets it! Amazingly enough that v-10 feels like the v-12. A little rocket. The only bummer is they didn't put the gull wing doors on it.

Reed Jensen 08-21-2004 07:18 PM

Re: The Gallardo is SWEEET!

Isn't it amazing how tiny the front end of the car is... I swear the distance from the leading edge of the windshield to the front bumper can't be any more than about 30 inches.... It's amazing what you can do with a Volkswagen..... :eek:

thisistank 08-22-2004 09:18 PM

Hey, fastest VW I've ever driven!! 110 in about a block :eek: :drink:

PhantomChaos 08-23-2004 10:37 AM

Tank........you're such a baller!!!!! :D :D

Hydrocruiser 08-23-2004 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
Anyone thinking of buying one of these Lambos? I drove one last night and that frickin thing straight gets it! Amazingly enough that v-10 feels like the v-12. A little rocket. The only bummer is they didn't put the gull wing doors on it.

Everybody with an exotic sports-cars has a love-hate relationship with them. They all have one thing in common in that they are unique and rare and thus very appealing attention getters. The one thing "they" lack is reliability. Even a Ferrari owner will tell you that. The 348's had to have all new electrical systems put in at the owner's cost of 18k+. The 360's are the first reliable car so long as the laundry list of costly maintenance is performed religiously.

I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to sports-cars if you can be happy with a Corvette you are lucky; happy with a Japanese car very lucky; happy with a Porsche in great shape; but if you have to "take a trip to Italy to satisfy you well then you will be ecstatic if you have lots of extra $$$. I have seen older Italian sports-cars torn down waiting for months if not years for parts to be cast and shipped. Newer exotic Italian cars are finally actually drivable and potentially daily drivers. The 420 Modena is supposed to be near perfection and due next summer. They may increase production significantly (meaning maybe an extra 50-100 copies/yr) and the price would stabilize around 180k and a lot more public relations activites as well would help the brand out even more.

thisistank 08-23-2004 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Tank........you're such a baller!!!!! :D :D

Hey Nort, it was kinda like the night I drove your CL55! Remember that? Cause I barley do :eek: :drink:

Hey HydroCruiser,

The 355 is pretty reliable and user friendly. The late model Diablos weren't too hard to maintain either. The newer "super cars" are in a different class than the old maintenance nightmares of yesteryear. Still expensive as HELL to do any type of maintenance but waaaaaaay more reliable.

Hydrocruiser 08-23-2004 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
Hey Nort, it was kinda like the night I drove your CL55! Remember that? Cause I barley do :eek: :drink:

Hey HydroCruiser,

The 355 is pretty reliable and user friendly. The late model Diablos weren't too hard to maintain either. The newer "super cars" are in a different class than the old maintenance nightmares of yesteryear. Still expensive as HELL to do any type of maintenance but waaaaaaay more reliable.

Agreed, the 355 Ferrari was a big turning point. Still a lot of 348 issues which is too bad because the car looks great. AT least now if you have the 200k - 800k budget you can buy a car that runs great and you just have to realize that they cost a fortune to keep running and depreciate quickly when you hit around 30-50k miles.

I am starting to like the GT--3 Porsche a lot. It's non Turbo, still makes 380 HP. Very agile and track ready all for 100k. It is a baragin for a supercar I think. Paint it in Guards Red and an instant attention getter. It rides a little rough but that goes with the teritory. The car will go forever if you change the oil.