Notices

Re-appearing drive oil

Old 08-24-2004, 02:11 PM
blackhawk

Default Mystery - re-appearing drive oil?

Had my input shaft/u-joint seal replaced a few weeks ago and has been holding up great. Then the other day after boating I checked it an lost about a 1/4" in my resevoir. Being paranoid I pressure tested the whole system through the resevoir. The lube level always drops a little when you pressurize the system. Left it on for about 30 minutes and held pressure great. Relieved the pressure and let it sit without the cap for about 10 minutes. I went out to make sure drive oil level came back.

Not only did it come back, but the 1/4" that I lost was back as well?

Last edited by blackhawk; 08-24-2004 at 05:15 PM.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re-appearing drive oil

not using merc oil?
Old 08-24-2004, 02:14 PM
blackhawk

Joe, I only use the high perf merc oil.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:07 PM
blackhawk

Anyone have an explanation?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Scott!
I am not sure what is happening with that 1/4" of fluid. But I wouldnt worry about it until you see the level go down an inch or so. I had to fill mine up about 5 times, well it went down about an inch or so, I would fill and down it would go, then again and again. I was ready to pull the drive and it hasnt used any more since. I have the ITS cap and I think that is where it goes.
But the best strategy is to let the drive think your going to pull it and tear into it. It will behave after that for sure!
Where there any temp variations during your tests? Maybe an air space, I really dont know.

Dick
Old 08-24-2004, 07:47 PM
blackhawk

Thanks Dick. I just thought it was weird that the 1/4" that I thought I "lost" came back. Didn't make any sense to me.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the drive was being exposed to direct sunlight, it will heat up and the fluid will grow( expand) and the level will rise. If its left overnight and it cools, it will shrink(contract) and the level will drop.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Registered

"if the drive was being exposed to direct sunlight, it will heat up and the fluid will grow( expand) and the level will rise. If its left overnight and it cools, it will shrink(contract) and the level will drop."....you gota be bull$hitting me!...

our oil level in the rez and or the drive level does not change AT ALL. from the time it's bolted on to the time it comes off/apart (1 race or 1 test day MAX).....maybe the sunlight heats the drive up more than racing one for 1 hour?

Last edited by audacity; 08-25-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:42 PM
blackhawk

I'm just happy the seal is holding up. I guess I was just curious as to why the level might drop and then come back to normal. Didn't make any sense to me.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Registered

"I guess I was just curious as to why the level might drop and then come back to normal. Didn't make any sense to me."...now, i can't B giv'n up all my secretes bro!

but, like dick said ...."But the best strategy is to let the drive think your going to pull it and tear into it. It will behave after that for sure!"