Notices

Way to go Steve David!!

Old 08-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Way to go Steve David!!

Originally Posted by T2x
In the old days most of them were made by Ron Jones and various specialty builders (Lauterbach, Karelson, etc)

Today it seems most of the teams either have their own shops or buy used hulls from those that do...........

Steve knows a LOT more about this than I do.

T2x
I see. I have always wondered. So they have used basically the same design for years? I guees they don't change much. Hell of a design to run those speeds and stay together.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do those boats handle in that rough stuff? Do they float over it? You guys have an prop/shaft/trans problems when the props come out in the rough?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I agree whole heartedly with what has been said About Mr. David here, I also noticed that no one stated the obvious.............STEVE DAVID HAS VERY LARGE COJONES. 100 mph in a hydro in 3 to 4 foot rollers????? Wholy Crap Your Drawers Batman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Friends,

As to construction: T2X was on target. (as always my old friend) Most of the teams today have our own molds, etc. Ron Jones was the primary builder/designer from the late 60's to the early 90's. Ed Karelsen, Norm Berg and Jim Lucero were also respected designers and builders. Since then Dale Van Wearingen and others, Dale built the most recent Bud's (along with the Bud team) evolutionized the design with wider air traps, lower CG's, etc. Several other people have contributed to the newer designs including Doug Ford, Dave Vilwock, Mike Hansen, Dixon Smith and others. While somewhat similar in appearance to Unlimiteds of 20 years ago, they are in fact very different. Very little is symmetrical, from sponson depth and width, cockpit offset, transom lengths, airtrap depth, rudder and strut location, etc.

The Turbines have no transmission per se. There is a V drive (most built by Fairlane Tool of Detroit) The V drive reduces turbine speed anywhere from 48% to 54% depending on course and propeller size. There is no neutral. When you start the engine it's go. Idle is known as ground idle, which is around 46% of power, it's that speed when we're idling from the dock or returning. There is a foot pedal, and shut off is by cutting off the fuel supply.

Thank you again for the kind words. If you're ever at one of our races, please feel free to visit.

Steve
Old 08-25-2004, 08:07 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep at it Steve.

Your rig looks and rides phenomenal.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:26 PM
sre
Registered

Hey Steve,

Congrats on a great season and thanks a million for making Jake's day last Friday. He is the envy of all his friends!!!!

If I go to Miami for the show, I'll give you a call. I think I owe you a few beers!!!

Paul
Old 08-27-2004, 03:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Friends,

As to construction: T2X was on target. (as always my old friend) Most of the teams today have our own molds, etc. Steve
STeve: Is it true that BEFORE they made the two of us......... They broke the molds.

T2x

P.S....... application sent weeks ago....... no response since.