Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Summary of Top Speeds from previous thread (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85814-summary-top-speeds-previous-thread.html)

Hydrocruiser 08-24-2004 10:47 AM

Summary of Top Speeds from previous thread

Total at the time were 43 boat owners reporting top speeds. Here is the breakdown:

1- 55 mph

6- 61-67 mph

12- 70-75 mph

4- 75-79 mph

5- 80-84 mph

2- 90-93 mph

5- 95-98 mph

7- 100-116 mph

2- 120mph

1- 147 mph

Another way at looking at it:

20- 60-70's mph

5- 80's mph

7-90's mph

10- 100+ mph

The largest catagory of boats that responded in the last thread were boats going in the 60's-75 mph catagory.

Back in the 1970's-80's around 60-70 mph seemed the benchmark for an offshore boat most folks were interested in potentially buying as I recall. It would seem that on average 80-90 mph is where things would appear rest in 2004.

About 25% will be lower and about 25% will be higher. Almost a perfect "bell shaped" curve

Hydrocruiser 08-24-2004 04:30 PM

Re: Summary of Top Speeds from previous thread

I have been looking at some end of season "deals" there are a few but it seems many boats with bigger power in the same class of boats are going faster. Either they are a bit underpowered or overpowered and $$.

articfriends 08-24-2004 04:35 PM

Just remember,some boats seem to get faster at the local dock after a few drinks!!

HyperBaja 08-24-2004 04:53 PM

1- 55 mph

That is where the speedo ends.

;)

blackhawk 08-24-2004 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
Just remember,some boats seem to get faster at the local dock after a few drinks!!

What are you trying to say? That a boater would actually lie about how fast his boat is? I don't think a boater would ever do that! :rolleyes:

articfriends 08-24-2004 05:26 PM

Blackhawk,they seem to get faster at the local docks after a few drinks and then they also
1.have their OTHER PROP on (if you race them and beat them)
2. aren't running as good as last wknd (if you race them and beat them)
3.Must have been a little low on gas (thats where my boat is normally the fastest until it's so low it run's out!(if you race them and beat them)
Anytime i race anyone (if i think i'm going to have more than 2 mph on them) i slow down 1/2 mph slower than they are going ,let them get 1/2 length ahead and then open it up and walk away from them (if i can) until i'm 10 lengths ahead of them so there is no question they got beat when you run into them at the local dock or sandbar,it keeps the squirrels from claiming you didn't beat them!!

blackhawk 08-24-2004 06:15 PM

I've beaten more "80mph" boats than I can count. And I always sandbag like you do as well. It's even better when you know you have them by quite a few mph and you let them get a couple boats ahead of you and wait for them to wave bye-bye. Then, slowly pull up next to them and run right beside them for a few seconds, then have you and all your passengers wave bye-bye at the same time and then drop the hammer!

Clay Washington 08-24-2004 06:20 PM

Ditto to what articfriends and blackhawk said...

I never pick a "fight", but if someone wants to race me, I allow them to get one boat length ahead of me. Then I open it up, and walk away from them. After I get about 100 yards in front of them, I slow down to "no wake" speed and allow them to approach. Their first question is always, "What the He77 so you have in that thing?!!!" :)

I just smile and tell them a 502. I don't tell them about the Whipple. It would be too much for 'em! :cool:

blackhawk 08-24-2004 06:29 PM

I pick a lot of fights! Especially someone starts braggin that their boat runs some ridiculous mph. I always feed the fire a little. They tell me their boat runs 75 all day long with their 260hp 350 in a 24 ft boat. I'll respnd "Wow, what prop you running?" They'll usually tell me a 22 pitch or so. To which I'll respond, "No kidding, negative prop slip huh?"

Then I'll wait for them to leave and run them. What's even better is when they ask how fast you were going you passed them and it's 10mph slower than what they said they were going! :D

ActiveThunderTodd 08-24-2004 07:02 PM

Ive had peope with different types of go fast boats looking for a race...i always ask them.."can your boat go faster then 84, if it can you will beat me" and leave it at that.