Notices

Who knows DOT stuff??

Old 08-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who knows DOT stuff??

We just picked up a Kodiak to pull the Formula (and whatever the hell else we want to ) and I am trying to figure out whether we have to go through all the DOT crap. I mean, this is not going to be a commercial vehicle but it is rated for 26000 lbs and has air brakes (I heard this makes a difference). On the website it talks about "private" trucks but that relates to not-for-hire but still owned by a company(like a beer company hauling their own stuff). It doesn't say anything about privately owned trucks which leads me to believe they are DOT exempt-or am I wrong?? (Not the first time)

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Who knows DOT stuff??

Ted,

Call me when you get a minute. We just got our DOT numbers for our trucks. It really depends on how you intend to use them and how you describe them to the DOT.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:12 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lets see some pics
Old 08-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Registered

if you are hauling your own stuff and everything is in your name, no dot. if its in a co name, you need a dot.. air brakes and weight does not make a diff if its in a private name for your own use....
Old 08-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks, that's what we were hoping. Maybe we'll glue on a porta pot and call it an RV I'll try and get pics this weekend when we test fit it to the boat trailer. It is a little rough though so it is going to get cosmetics over the winter. Gotta love anything with a CAT diesel and air brakes
Old 08-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why the "not for hire" sign is on, it denotes private and skips the DOT BS. Get one and be safe. It is a lot of rig. Nice.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Registered

I bought a Top Kick ToterHome last winter to pull the ol' Tempest and race car and tagged it as a motorhome. Pulled the Hondo flatbottom once and That looked funny... Anyway It is "under" DOT as they call it here in Kansas. Basically no airbrakes,no fuel permits etc. I talked to several drag racing friends who have old semis and various type trucks and found out you're best bet is to call your home state HiPo's or DOT and clarify for yourself. Also need to check fuel permits,insurance etc. One buddy found out when it comes to full size trucks,log books and permits you Don't BS your way on down the road. I came out good but if it had been "above" DOT insurance and everything else would be a whole different world. Also my insurance guy asked about commercial truck for personal use and Heavy Commercial truck for personal use. So ?????
My biggest mistake was getting a 4:63 gear so I'm looking for something closer to a 3:70. But it pulls the 38 footer effortlessy??? even being a 366 FI Gas burner and Allison Automatic. Being a Ford Guy if a late model Powerstroke shows up in the area over the winter...
Old 08-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that each state has its own specific interpretations of the law. What do you mean by DOT?

I tow a boat with a Top Kick also.

In CA for example, if you are over 15,001 lb GVW (the trailer of the towed item) you will need a CDL. This does not matter if you are private or commercial as once the weight exceeds that threshold, the law has a change point. Received an award for that one.

I have permits for the width, I thought I was legal for not needing a CDL or a log book but the CHP had a different take on the situation.

Law is that you only need a log book if you are like 90 or more miles from home port. But there is a little provision in the law that says if you stay overnight with the rig, regardless of the distance from home you will need a log book. Received another award for this one.

Your truck is longer than the standard pickup so you might want to measure the overall length of the combined package to see if you need an over size permit before the nice police officer does. Received another award for this one too.

In CA, I found that the only cops that know the law are the ones in the area where there are a lot of trucks, such as the scale areas. The local police don’t seem to know much other than standard automobile stuff.

Like the others said, call the local state police or the DOT people and ask questions. Get things that are important in writing as the police do not fall for “someone told me ……”
Old 08-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree with what Rik stated, also I believe that you need Air brake endorsement on your license even if it is for personal use, it's a separate endorsement from the different classes of CDL(commercial drivers license) which you shouldn't need for a private coach.

Caleb