Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anyone have info on the Sabastion Inlet are of Florida? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/85999-anyone-have-info-sabastion-inlet-florida.html)

Payton 08-27-2004 06:45 AM

Anyone have info on the Sabastion Inlet are of Florida?

Last winter while driving from Melborne to my sisters in Boca Raton we drove down A1A through Sabastion Inlet. My wife fell in love with the area. It almost seems remote compare to the rest of the coast of Florida.
We are talking about doing something special next year for our 25th wedding aniversary, maybe Tahiti, or for the same money we could spend a month or more in the Sabastion area.
Anyone have info on this area? Cool spots? Places to rent with a lift for a 34' boat?
Are manitees a pain here in the winter?

Thanks
Mark

cuda 08-27-2004 07:23 AM

Re: Anyone have info on the Sabastion Inlet are of Florida?

Sebastian Inlet is one of my favorite places! When I lived across the state, we'd drive there in the morning just to fish, and drive home that night. There are basically three towns near it. Melbourne is just south, Vero Beach is just north, and the town of Sebastian is west of it.

I used to fish constantly, and fishing off that jetty at Sebastian was THE most exciting fishing I ever did when the bluefish were running.

I'm sure there are slips to be rented in the Melbourne area.

Sebstian Inlet is about an hour south of me, about 45 minutes to Daytona Beach, and about an hour to Orlando. I always thought Melbourne would be a good place to live, big enough to have what you need without the traffic of the big cities.

One thing to be aware of is that inlet can get ROUGH! With an onshore wind, and an outgoing tide, I've seen fifty footers turn around rather than shoot the inlet.

Slick02 08-27-2004 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
Sebastian Inlet is one of my favorite places! When I lived across the state, we'd drive there in the morning just to fish, and drive home that night. There are basically three towns near it. Melbourne is just south, Vero Beach is just north, and the town of Sebastian is west of it.

I used to fish constantly, and fishing off that jetty at Sebastian was THE most exciting fishing I ever did when the bluefish were running.

I'm sure there are slips to be rented in the Melbourne area.

Sebstian Inlet is about an hour south of me, about 45 minutes to Daytona Beach, and about an hour to Orlando. I always thought Melbourne would be a good place to live, big enough to have what you need without the traffic of the big cities.

One thing to be aware of is that inlet can get ROUGH! With an onshore wind, and an outgoing tide, I've seen fifty footers turn around rather than shoot the inlet.

Ditto,,,,I've actually seen a yacht sunk in that inlet, and more than one pleasure boat swamped,,,We used to camp there at the state park(south side of the inlet) damned near every weekend.

TomFTM 08-27-2004 01:03 PM

I know that area very well. My mother has a condo/boat slip on the water in Sebastian on the Indian river . I have kept my boat at Intercoastal Marina in Melbourne during the winters a few years ago. No one in the Sebastian area could handle a 38 Cig.(rack stored) .I would then cruise down the river to the small marina in the delevopment were my mother lives and leave the boat there for the weekend. The Sebastian inlet is about 16-18 miles south of the City of Melbourne. If your looking for any night life it is almost non-existant , except for Capt. Hirams resturant bar / resort. Sebastian area is definetly a more laid back area as oppossed to the hustle and bustle of southern Fla. Tom

bearpaw 08-27-2004 03:05 PM

Ditto on that inlet, lived in Indialantic for years and this is where most surfing contests are held that will tell you alittle on how rough it can be. Let us know when your coming, or drop that Hawaiian by us in Burnt Store Marina.

Payton 08-27-2004 10:24 PM

Bearpaw, You are down there?? when did you move?
Where is Burnt Store Marina? Cool name where ever it is.
Do you still have the Scorpian?

bearpaw 08-29-2004 08:09 AM

I moved to Naples at the end of March,owned a place in Park Shore for 5 years. In July we moved up to the marina its on the boarder of Lee & Charlotte Countys access to the gulf at Boca Grand, can ride my bike down to the water.By the way my son and I saw you and your wife coming into the ditch back at the end of July we were fishing one last time before we hit the road. The Scopion is at Scotts getting rigged for salt, may try to sell to get into a center console Pantera,Concept,Manta or Scorpion.I will leave the boat in storage till next spring and come and get it.

Payton 08-29-2004 08:18 AM

Cool, maybe we'll see you down there sometime.

Poorsche 08-29-2004 04:42 PM

All the comments about Sebastion and Melbourne are on target. I've lived in Melbourne for the last 15 years.

If I can help when you come down drop an email.

Intracoastal Marina is getting ready to go condo conversion so the rumor mill says so check out other faclilties between Sebastion nad Ft. Pierce.

Poorsche

www.boatmat.com