Like Tree0Likes

Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

Old 08-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods
Default Re: Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

Troutly, I wasn't even thinking that. I just like to shed some light on what happens behind the scenes.

People like BajaBob, are never satisfied. He just should realize he is High Maintenance and be prepared for all outcomes. If you make your peace with the staff when you arrive it will kill most problems in the bud. I deal with it all the time. I consider myself laid back and understanding at 35. The kids in their teens and twenties serving you take it harder and sometimes personally. It can break them and they walk out and service suffers further. Not good for either end of that situation.

Greg
Old 08-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24 Hallett, 40 Hallett
Default Re: Hospitality Industry service problems explained..(i.e. Big Dicks, poker runs,etc)

bajabob sounds like the kind of guy who demands too much, *****es too much, stays too long, understands little and tips my kids (working overtime to get thru college) too little. In resort towns, the best solution is reservations only, no exceptions.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Wellcraft 22' Scarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ward
YEA.... BLA...BLA...BLA... SAME SH1T WE HEAR EVERY WHERE WE GO... EVEN THE KEYS SOME TIMES. HOW ABOUT WE OVER STAFF SOME TIME AND SHOW EVERY ONE WHO BOATS NOW-A-DAYS ,THAT WE ARE READY AND WANT THIER BUSINESS.... AND THEY WILL ENCOURAGE THIER FRIENDS TO BRING THIER OWN BOAT NEXT YEAR.... WITH ANOTHER GROUP OF FRIENDS. ***** WHEN YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS...... Make excusses when you suck at service w/you do. IF YOU HAD BEEN READING OFFSHORE ONLY, TO SEE THE RESPONSE TO THE dick's RUN, YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN WEEKS AHEAD THAT THE TURN OUT WOULD BE GOOD. AND I DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP WITH MY CROWD.
I bet you're first on their seating list now

Roby
Old 08-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered

As a recent collage grad who worked as a server for two years. I can tell you that just being polite, sociable, and understanding to the fact the your food taking forever is not my fault will make me work a lot harder for you. When people get grumpy most servers just shut down and stop giving a ****. A server is in essence self employed. Just as a entrepreneur can write off a client, a server will decide when his opportunity cost to satisfy that table is just too high. Dont think complaining to management will show them, if they are a strong server who is on top of their game I will guarantee you that you will leave unsatisfied.

Now, if you come in and your server is an idiot, by all means complain. If your server is great, stop a manger on the way out and say something.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Registered

You don't need to be in Management to understand the inner workings. You don't need to be in management to have compassion and understanding. You can be a food runner, a busboy, a host or hostess, bartender or a waiter or waitress!

One thing I have learned is that if you are nice to the people who serve you and you say thank you every time they come to your table I guarantee your service will be better.

Also, take a look around. If the place is packed and if there's a seating wait understand that service will be slower too. If you really want to eat there be patient... if not DEAL WITH IT POLITELY! or leave!

Last edited by Wasabe; 08-31-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods

Well said Wasabe!!

I didn't mean only management sees whats happening. I've done it all from busboy at 14 to ownership at 30 and back and forth since. I appreciate those that appreciate me.

It's amazing what setting the tone the right way in the beginning will get patron in the end.

Greg
Old 09-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Registered

My Boats: 368 Skater, 33 Scarab AVS(Sold), Fountain 48EC Yanmar/Arneson, Deep Impact 33LS

Having grown up in the industry I know how one complaint or one disastisfied customer can ruin your reputation. Especially with the internet now available to allow people to rate restaurants and bars and satisfied people don't bother to rate just the negative ones. People need to understand that some times things do get messed up but with politeness are easily corrected.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 Formula 400SS

On most Poker Runs, it's the same problem. Lots of hungry people show up all at once and want food and drinks fast. The simple buffett is the answer.
Pick up your food, and pay the cashier!