Labbed Bravo Props Cracking

Notices

Labbed Bravo Props Cracking

Old 09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Labbed Bravo Props Cracking

I had my 26P Bravo 4 blade props labbed this year and back in July one of the blades on the left hand prop cracked after running the boat. I called the place that labbed them and was told that left hand bravo’s are known for cracks. I took it to a local shop for repair and the local guy said that these props were WAY too thin and he repaired it. (I took the prop to the local shop for a quick turn around)

Later in the summer I noticed that 2 more different blades on the same left hand prop each had a crack in them. I took the prop to the same local shop for repair. That is a total of 3 blades on the same prop that had to be repaired.

Now, I have noticed that the right prop has a good size crack in one of the blades and the first crack that I repaired on the left hand prop cracked open again.

I called the place today that originally labbed the props because I wanted to hear an explanation for the right prop cracking since I was originally told that “left hand bravos are known for cracking”.

The prop place now tells me that “bravos are known for cracking”. I explained that I ran these props all last year (put about 45 – 50 hours on them) and had no problems. I told him that I truly believe that if they didn’t lab my props that they would not be cracking as they are REALLY thin now.

I asked him to send me a new or used set of props and they declined. He gave me a price for a new set and I said how about we split the cost – I will pay for one and they will pay for one. Answer was still no.

He said that he has fixed cracks for other people and they have never come back. So I asked about him fixing both of mine now and he said no because someone else has worked on them. But the local guy has only worked on one of them. So they told me that they would fix one of them.

My question is, what is the fair answer here? Should I be given a new or used set of props? Should he at least offer to fix both of them?

I borrowed a set of the same size props that were labbed by Merc and they performed almost the same (within less than 1 mph) but had a lot more meat on them. They are not NEARLY as thin as the ones that I had labbed.

Also, anyone have any 26P Bravo's that they want to sell?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Labbed Bravo Props Cracking

labbed props crack... thats that... or are prone to crack... anyway its like all performance mods void warr. and fix at your cost... sorry
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am losing them on a the stock bravo props also. I just cracked one this week end .Here is the link on what I had. Mine are Not labbed .I could not imagine if they where labbed

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ighlight=crack
Attached Thumbnails Labbed Bravo Props Cracking-bolixi-race-prop-etc-027.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 09-08-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:26 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Labbed and higher pitched props are more prone to crack than stock lower pitched ones. Labbing weakens them and there is also more resistance and force needed to spin higher pitched props.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Props cracking are a fact of life. Blades are like slender cantilevered beams with high loading at the root, which happens to be very cyclical. By labbing the blades and thinning them, you further exacerbate the problem by lowering the bending resistance and drastically decreasing the fatigue life. Labbed props are life-limited devices.