Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Speakers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86303-boat-speakers.html)

thedonz 09-01-2004 12:09 PM

Boat Speakers

Hey Yall We Need A Lil Help. We Just Picked Up Our New Toy (38 Gun) And We Just Relize That The Speakers That Came In It Were Not All That. What Speakers Do Yall Advice Us To Get. We Want Nice And Clear And We're Not Going To Put A Amp On It For Now Cause We Need Them For This Weekend . Thanks For Your Help In Advance.

Donz Jr Mike

Audiofn 09-01-2004 01:33 PM

Re: Boat Speakers

You can try BABBS, MB-Quarts, or Clarion. They are really the only players in the true Marine speakers. Kicker makes some but I have yet to hear them and there are a few others but those three are the most popular.

Jon

Jamie B. 09-01-2004 01:36 PM

You'll get alot of different opinions on this, pending on what sound you want and how much you want to spend. I'd contact board member Andy ( Andy Buzz on here ), he has an audio shop in Tampa. Good guy. 813-882-8473

Pantera1 09-01-2004 01:37 PM

For 6x9's go with infinity 692M's .. They kick ass with just a 25 amp head unit , no amp .. 3 years old and they still sound crisp

thedonz 09-01-2004 02:53 PM

thanks guys keep it coming it will be a great help

donz jr mike

Whirlygig 09-01-2004 03:14 PM

Hey Donz,

Congrats on your new purchase. I have a set (2 pair) of MB Quart Marine 6 1/2 inch full range speakers. I have been saving them for my project boat but my project boat isn't happening right now. I would be willing to sell them if your interested. There about the best full range marine speaker you can get your hands on. They are new in box and have the protected cones and suspension woofer so they will last in the marine conditions.

If your interested I will cut you a deal, just give me a PM.

Whirly

RJ1340 09-01-2004 08:55 PM

Pioneer has a new 8" two way for about $200 a pair and they're supposed to be great.

Strip Poker 388 09-02-2004 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by RJ1340
Pioneer has a new 8" two way for about $200 a pair and they're supposed to be great.

The new 8 inch is more of a mid bass speaker with a twet.I am a Pioneer dealer and get them FREE and did not even use them :eek:

I shopped around and the MB Quart seem to be the highest quality that I have found . Even though Rockford bought them out they are still made in Germany.

The Babbs are made in Texas,Allen Babb was a good guy when I talked to him and he did not bad mouth any speakers but gave ya the hint what not to buy.I was very Impressed with him!!. I was not Impressed with the speaker it self but It plays a little louder than the MBQuart It serves it purpose :D

I just need more room to put more speakers.388 Hustler doesn't give ya enough

There is day and night difference between the Poly [junk]Planers and the MBQuarts.

I used the Rockford amp from them there chaep and powerfull ,just dont run them in a 2 ohm load ,it will get hot and clip.

JL audio is supose to be coming out with some marine speckers and Allen Babb Spoke very highley about them . He also said there amps are comming along good.
I have been playing a pair of there 12's since 1996 :D

thedonz 09-02-2004 12:28 AM

Strip,

I need to fit them in the existing holes, I believe they are 5.25....do you have a deal on the Pioneers? Are they worthy?

MnFastBoat 09-02-2004 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Whirlygig
Hey Donz,
If your interested I will cut you a deal, just give me a PM.

Whirly

I know this was not aimed at me, however, giving donz the first dibs on these if he does not want them I might be interested. mine a chit now with the new head unit :(
I sent you a PM

Thanks

thedonz 09-02-2004 12:44 AM

whirly,

thanks, but I need 5.25....first dibbs are waived

Strip Poker 388 09-02-2004 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by thedonz
Strip,

I need to fit them in the existing holes, I believe they are 5.25....do you have a deal on the Pioneers? Are they worthy?

I have not heard anything about the 8 inch ,they just came out ,My distributor doesent even have them yet. The 6 1/2 2 way are suppose to be a decent speaker for the money.I dont think they will fit the 5 1/4 hole . They do make adaptors but you probably would want to cut it larger if ya got the room .

If got room for the Babbs there about the same price as the 8 inch Pioneers.The hole for the Babb 10 inch is a lot smaller than a 10 inch but still has a 10 cone surface area.

cobra860 09-02-2004 06:05 AM

Stay away from infinity 6x9 marine speakers.

They do not like water at all. So marine speakers are they not!

I had 3 pairs in my boat last summer. They all start to make a ugly sound due to the glue that hold the basselement dissolve when the element gets wet.

I have got new from the store I bougth them from every time. But it is very irritating.

Wellby 09-02-2004 09:01 AM

The Babb are good speakers,but they take some decent power to get good sound out of them. If your not going to use an amp, I would use something else. Depending on what you want to spend... Bazooka makes marine speakers... I have had good luck with them. They are mid range priced.

mcollinstn 09-02-2004 09:23 AM

Give me a holler on the 6.5 MBQ's.
I bought some Boss speakers cause they were cheap and I'm not all that impressed with em.
Been considering the MBQ's. Shoot me a price if they're not already spoken for (which ones are they? the NKA116?)

batty 09-02-2004 09:56 AM

I just installed 4 JL AUDIO 6x9 3-way speakers in my dads sea ray coustic 240 and a pioneer premier deh-900p ?head unit (I think thats the model number) those speakers kick azz. speakers and amp were about $500 very loud and still some good bass. we were at put in bay and a guy in a newer sea ray was mad at us because we were drowning out his BOSE system.

Doller Offshore 09-02-2004 10:42 AM

audiobahn builds some great marine speakers(great warranty,water proof,great sound) different sizes,woofers etc.---give a call 800-376-1616 or 954-237-0332 art