Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Riding Mower....what brand? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86340-riding-mower-what-brand.html)

97BossHammer 09-02-2004 06:57 AM

Riding Mower....what brand?

Need to buy a riding mower this weekend w/all the labor day sales I figure now is the best time. I was looking at sears craftsman...but talked to several people and they all complain about it throwing the belt all the time. I was also looking at the Poulan but don't know too much about it. A lot have been telling me to get the John Deere....I can only afford one of the lowest models. I don't need much...only cutting about and acre and 1/2. What brands are you guys using and which one's should I steer clear of?

boss252 09-02-2004 08:05 AM

Re: Riding Mower....what brand?

I have an EX-Mark zero turn. Cut my mowing time in half. A little pricey but worth every penny I spent.

http://www.exmark.com/LazerZCT.htm

bglz42 09-02-2004 08:10 AM

I have a Craftsman DT3000 with the Kohler 20HP V-Twin. It ROCKS! Never thrown a belt. It'll cut through anything, (I have some serious coastal hay on my place.) Got it on sale for less than $1400.

Cruz-N-Thunder 09-02-2004 09:11 AM

Ex Mark, it is the best.

David 09-02-2004 09:12 AM

My next door neighbor is on his second Craftsman riding mower. He "fixed" :rolleyes: the first one, that's why he bought the new one. He never complained about it.

97BossHammer 09-02-2004 09:15 AM

I was looking at that DT3000...nice one. Personally I don't think I'll have a problem w/ the craftsman, but some folks have just recently turned me off on it so I'm not sure which one I'm getting now. I like the John Deere but personally I think I'm paying more for that name then anything else. For $1400 I get the bottom of the line John Deere with no oil/fuel filters. For $1400 at sears I'll get a pretty good mower with some goodies on it. But if the Deere will hold up more and be more dependable then I'm all for it.

mcollinstn 09-02-2004 09:20 AM

The low priced models of even the best brand names (Cub, Deere, etc) are junk. No better than the value brands. They had to begin mfg the low end (disposable) models to compete at the hardware store. This is straight from the mouth of a good friend who has been a Deere dealer for over 20 years.

If your lawn is relatively tame (no giant roots, no ditches or rocks) then any mower will work. If you get a multi-blade deck (and you should for the size you plan to mow) then you should compare the deck to choose the one that over time will keep the blades in alignment to each other best (bigger bearings, grease fittings, thicker deck material and stiffening ribs) else your blades will get out of level with each other and it'll never cut evenly again.

Craftsman does a good job of keeping parts available pretty much forever for their mowers.

The MTD and Murray mowers make up the lion's share of the hardware store models. As far as low priced mowers go, they are the baseline.

It's hard to beat a single blade rear engine Snapper ride-on, but it's going to be too small for your acreage.

BillR 09-02-2004 09:33 AM

I've had a entry level John Deere tractor for about 10 years and NO problems what so ever.
I'd buy another in a second!!

97BossHammer 09-02-2004 11:44 AM

I'm stuck between the John Deere entry model/ Sears model with Kohler engine / our Poulan

bglz42 09-02-2004 01:26 PM

All are good... just make sure you get the good engine. If it doesn't have pressure oil (with a filter), pass it up. And add an hour meter. Wash it and wax it, it'll last a long time. My old MTD, (everyone said was junk), lasted me eight HARD years. I gave it to a friend of mine, it's still going strong. It's all about maintanence. I used synthetic oil exclusively.

Another opinion: buy the V-Twin, not a single. The difference is amazing!

blownincome 09-02-2004 02:07 PM

Craftsman W/honda Motor Good For Light Use...otherwise
J/d 20 Plus Hp Models Or A Used/new Honda Tractor

97BossHammer 09-03-2004 07:05 AM

found a nice murray, 21hp twin......anybody have opinions on murray's?

SR-24 09-03-2004 07:25 AM

I don't like buying anything foreign, but my Honda is unbeatable. They are usually priced just beneath a Deere... apples to apples.

mcollinstn 09-03-2004 07:45 AM

Buy for looks. In the "under $2500" price range, they are all cutting corners. I don't care what brand it is.

Guys who get extended use out of value category mowers are simply taking better care of them or are using them in a gentle environment (which is a good thing to do).

Get a pressure lube twin cylinder motor. All of the major brands are fine as far as motors.

Murray, MTD, Toro, etc., they all have models from the cheapest ones using nylon wheel bushings to better ones with bearings. Just take a good look and get a "try it first" policy. Most mower shops will let you mow with it once to see if you like it - most hardware stores won't.

Formula Outlaw 09-03-2004 07:53 AM

Bang for the buck, I'd definitely go with Toro. Without getting into the stratosphere, pricewise, (which with their commercial grade you can) that's the brand the lawn cutting businesses use. They had a nice sale going on with an extended extra year full warranty at no extra cost. Don't know if that's still on or not.

Don't think you'd go wrong with a Toro.

The "commercial" guys down here cutting lawns for a living, use Toro 30 to 1 compared to a John Deere.

Lee 09-03-2004 08:06 AM

I mow 2 acres with a Craftsman Garden Tractor 46" deck, 22HP Kohler V-twin and hydrostatic drive, And I really like it, An X-mark or any other zero turn mower will cut faster and do a nicer job but I use my tractor for more that just mowing grass.

97BossHammer 09-03-2004 08:47 AM

read some bad things about Murray's....it priced quite a bit under what others are. I think more then likely I'm getting the craftsman. Found a vtwin pressure lubed one reasonable priced.

Zanie 09-03-2004 09:08 AM

Are you a Craftsman Club Member?
It's good for an extra 10% off during Craftsman Club Days (one week per month).

97BossHammer 09-03-2004 09:27 AM

Craftsman club member....I guess I'll become a member if i buy it :)

Just looked up and saw some recalls were issued for the Murray rider.....I'll mark it off the list. I think if I get one with a decent engine and deck and just take care of it, I'll be fine.

CMG 09-03-2004 09:46 AM

John Deere gets the highest rating - I got a 110 last year after too much research.

http://johndeere.com/en_US/ProductCa...20Series&tM=HO

Hydrocruiser 09-03-2004 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Deere and Simplicity are pretty close in design except Simplicity put a lot more $$ into their decks ; more than anyone out there. The Simplicity had 2 features I liked a lot. First it has a deck that without any tools slides out and off in less than 2 minutes for cleaning, blade changes etc. Second, it has the only deck on the market with a floating front end and full roller across the back. Nothing cuts smoother than a Simplicity.

I liked the Deere a lot but tried both and the Simplicity does cut much smoother and to me the final result is what counted. So I payed $3,500 for a Simplicity 16Hp V-Twin Vanguard with a 42' deck 13yrs ago. It has 420 hrs on it and is like new. Never a problem and will go another 13++ yrs easily without problems. They say it's lifespan is up to 50 yrs.

I like the idea of buying something engineered very well and having it be cheaper in the long run than a disposable unit. If this tractor lasts even 30 yrs that's only $ 116/season of use. For the same price or less over the long haul I can have a machine built like a tank, huge wheel and blade bearings, a very heavy deck, hydrostatic trans, and the list goes on.

Investing more $$ initially into something like a tractor is worth the price. They make a great "zero turn unit" too for prosumers.

97BossHammer 09-03-2004 12:25 PM

thats my main problem actually...tight budget. Going to be moving in a new house and won't have much to spend on a tractor. Not getting the lowest grade...but mid grade. I'd like to buy a really good one as some of you have mentioned, but just can't afford it right now.

Hydrocruiser 09-03-2004 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 97BossHammer
thats my main problem actually...tight budget. Going to be moving in a new house and won't have much to spend on a tractor. Not getting the lowest grade...but mid grade. I'd like to buy a really good one as some of you have mentioned, but just can't afford it right now.

Here is Hydro's recommendation:

The one I suggest you look at is Model # 27608

If you can only afford a grand then look at Model #27317

http://www.sears.com/sr/craftsman/ho...=Lawn+Tractors

It is on sale now; usually $ 2899.99 Now $2199.88 ($ 700.11 off)

Take off an additional $219.00 for opening a new credit card and the price will drop to $1980.88. You will be very hard pressed to get a machine with that kind of engine, hydrostatic drive and a 48" cut with a very high level of quality.

The engine alone it worth $ 1,200.00

Automatic trans (Hydrostatic)
26HP Briggs V-Twin OHV with pressure lube and filter
10ga 48" deck
electric clutch for blades

The only way to go cheaper is to get a manual tranny and you would only save $200 an auto is the way to go. This one is worth putting on payments and paying it off over a year or so. Open a charge and save an additional 10%.

This is a very fine tractor and worth every cent. If mine went out tomorrow with a major catastrophic problem I would get it.

This this might work? I love tractors and would be proud to own this one.

Hydrocruiser 09-03-2004 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by offthefront
27317 is only 1199.88 ???