Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ford Trucks 7.3 or 6.0 ???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86536-ford-trucks-7-3-6-0-a.html)

Smitty 09-06-2004 05:05 PM

Ford Trucks 7.3 or 6.0 ????

I am looking to buy a used Ford Super duty truck. I have looked at some with the 7.3 and some with the 6.0 engines. The 7.3 is very noisey and has a 4 speed trans and is relatively trouble free. The 6.0 has a 5 speed trans and has had some issues, but is much quieter and seems to run better (faster) . I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years. I only drive my current truck 5K per year. Which engine should I get ??? Price is around the same for either engine equipped trucks.

Dave

BRUCE SEROFF 09-06-2004 05:14 PM

Re: Ford Trucks 7.3 or 6.0 ????

I have a F250 6.0 and love it. 17k miles in 4 months. no problems.

if you go with the 6.0, make sure its not a 2003. you may be buying someone elses problems.

bobkatz 09-06-2004 05:46 PM

I have two 7.3's

- one 98 w/269k miles and had to replace one injector, one alternator, and
one starter

- one 2002 or 2003 w/50k miles and runs flawlessly

Had a 92 cummins, everything fell apart on that truck except the motor

I don't think you can go wrong w/ the 7.3

Good luck!

Havasu Cig 09-06-2004 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
I have a F250 6.0 and love it. 17k miles in 4 months. no problems.

if you go with the 6.0, make sure its not a 2003. you may be buying someone elses problems.

Ditto...We lemoned our 03 Ex with the 6.0.

blown formula 09-06-2004 07:43 PM

7.3 no question. Noiser yes, but put in a Bully Dog 75hp chip, stock exhaust & gas milegae went to an overall 19.3/highway-city. Kicks my neigbors '04 6.0 hands down.
I pull a 312 Formula on a triple axle trailer & hardly know it's there.
I wouldn't trade it for anything now. (90K miles)

stecz20 09-06-2004 09:10 PM

chip the 6.0 and it will whippppppppp the 7.3. really does not mater what you have 7.3 or 6.0 both bad ass. i have a 04 f-450 6.0 and love it. i pull everything with it, and can tell the difference right away between the two.... stecz

MitchStellin 09-06-2004 09:18 PM

I would say the 7.3. I had a choice and went for the displacement. go to TheDieselStop.com and read what people think in the real world, as Troutly said it must be after 9/30 or it is a possible turn in. The 7.3 is tried and true, the 6.0 is still being debugged. I am reading that the guys with the 6.0 want the 7.3 back. There is a specific forum for the 6.0 so go read up and look for what is being said, it can save a ton of headaches. It is a great engine, just hasa a few bugs right now.

jtmiller02 09-06-2004 09:26 PM

My friend has a 6.0 dually with a chip and that thing would walk all over a 7.3 with a chip, not even close, besides it is years ahead in noise/vibration.

MitchStellin 09-06-2004 09:30 PM

Go read the thread on the 6.0 with the Edge programer, it blew an injector and took out a piston. Now Ford will not warrent it, they flagged it on OASIS and he is out a motor. Do your homework here, you can make any engine go fast by adding fuel, thats all the chips do. It is a 40 page thread and there are many who have the same problem. It can be a good engine, just get the right one.

h2owarrior 09-06-2004 09:43 PM

I am not an expert on this but I think the 7.3 would be the choice for another model year (until the 2005's are out). Ford and Navistar went a different direction in injection systems on the 6.0. The change was made from the Caterpillar HEUI (Hydraulic Electric Unit Injector) system to a similar unproven system. If I remember it was a combination of cost and noise. Most of the noise from the 7.3 was from the poppet on the injector slamming closed. Those of you that have dealt with Cat know they do nothing cheap....but it appears you get what you pay for.

The problems with the 6.0 will be solved and it will be a very good engine......but there are still some issues.

Outdrive1 09-06-2004 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I Have An 2000 Excursion With The 7.3, The Motor Has Been Flawless, 72,000 And Never Had Any Engine Problems. Replaced The Alternator This Year, But It Was No Big Deal.
The Tranny However Is A Pile. I Lost Mine Last Year, My Bus. Partner Has Been Through Three On His 2000. I'm Sure Having Ten Inches Of Lift On Mine With 38's And My Partneer Having 15 Inches Of Lift With Forty's Doesn't Help, But Shouldn't A 3/4 Ton Truck Be Able To Handle That? I Know Others That Have Lost The Tranny As Well (with Lifted Trucks). I'm Surprised No One Else On This Thread Has Had Problems With Them.
Dont Tow In Overdrive And Dont Hop The Motor Up If You Are Going To Tow With It. Its Barely Capable Of Handling The Torque The Motor Puts Out Now Especially Under A Load, And If You Are Going To Lift It Change Out Your Gears And Add A Second Tranny Cooler. The Tranny Cooler Is A Good Idea Just For Towing.
I've Ridden In A Brand New One, I Think The Power Range Is Better Or The Extra Gear Helps, Cant Tell What Makes The Difference But Its Definantly Got More Of Something. I Will Probaly Get One Next Year With The New Motor And Tranny As Soon As They Work Out The Bugs On The New Motor.

Buddy OO 09-07-2004 04:01 AM

Have had both. have a new 6.0 crew with the edge with attitude chip, and is a rocket. pull my 50v nortech with trailer is 22,000lbs, and it pulls with ease. gets 19mg on highway. have 25,000 miles. not one problem.

Slick02 09-07-2004 07:33 AM

Had an 00 F350 4x4 with a 7.3 and with a super chip it pulled fine EXCEPT for trans/converter problems and noisy as hell, just bought an 04 F250 harley trk with a 6.0, the 6.0 stock will run away from the 7.3 with a chip, its quieter, gets better fuel mileage and gotta love the new 5spd auto that ford came up with..both are good trucks/engines and as stated above stay away from the 03 6.0 . Also the problems with the edge programmer don't seem to be so much mechanical as DRIVER ERROR. All the instructions tell you not to tow on the higher settings (I always reset to one when towing and run on two or three to drive(excellent power/throttle response)

boot 09-07-2004 08:09 AM

Like stated, The 03 6 liters have trouble . Not all , but most .
The 04's had something like 50 upgrades to the engine alone ! I have very few problems with the 04's. The 05's are quite different again .

When you get a 6 liter that runs , it RUNS GREAT ! Nothing else will touch it ! :D The new trans is awesome too .

The old 7.3 is good for sure ,but the trans has issues from time to time .

Chips are a whole different thing ..... Get a truck that runs right first ! :rolleyes:

Twinmags 09-07-2004 12:33 PM

I would go with the new 6.0. I have worked with several of them by adding performance parts and can say with the Bully Dog performance package added to the 6.0 it is a definite choice for me and moves like a raped ape.

blown formula 09-07-2004 06:54 PM

88K on my '01 Platinum Crew 7.3 and runs better than my neighbors stock 6.0 Crew (has a lift kit ). Never a tranny problem or any other problem, but then I don't abuse it when pulling ( and I pull even in overdrive with over a 10K load except in steep hills). Yes it's a little noiser but roll the windows up and you can't hear it on the highway, so who cares??? So are we taking acceleration, pulling, normal use or ??
Given the right year and proper maintenance either I'm sure would be satisfactory. :drink:

PhantomChaos 09-07-2004 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lyall's truck.......can you guess what he's had problems with? :D

Got an email from him over the weekend..............

================================================
I am slowly pissing these guys off.. The truck has been parked in the customer service area. They call and said it was going to be towed. I sent him the vehicle code section that defines "customer" ...in that I have it (the truck) serviced and bought it From Santa Margarita Ford I am a customer. I also told him that they would be liable for any damage as well as the towing cost as the curb is green and not marked for any time limit. Under the vehicle code I can park there since I fit the definition as a "customer" according to the vehicle code.

They are so livid now that they had someone tape floormat paper over the sign! (whimps!)

I'm getting under their skin and pissing the **** out of them!

Anyone have any good legal ideas for ways for me to further my piss of campaign?

Lu....

boot 09-08-2004 10:18 AM

:eek: :D :D THAT IS GREAT !!!! I know a few people that should do that ..... :cool:

turbosonic1 09-08-2004 11:41 AM

Just budget ~4k per year for transmissions!

I'm on my third as Nort posted my e-mail

robyw1 09-08-2004 12:13 PM

I must say, chips on a whole almost never gain a vehicle any performance other than a turbo in which the boost is raised. What I want to know is how you all are getting substantial gains out of putting chips in your p/u's? Is Ford not doing their job? If the chip improves it so much then Ford ought to take notice of this and make the changes in a recall or in the next production year.

Roby

bshzba 09-08-2004 02:59 PM

In the past 5 years my dad and I have had over six 7.3s and four 6.0. we have put on over 100,000 mile on one truck in one year. Have had chips to propane to nos to 10''of lift. you cant kill a 7.3 but if you get a later 6.0 they are quited faster and you get the touqueshift tans with has a awsome towhaul mode. we have hauled a 53' car hauler that weighted 26,000lbs at 70mph in overdrive and never had a problem( chip and propane). We had a few problems with the new trans. but that has to do with the chips. go with the 6.0 the 7.3s are a thing of the past.

bowtie 09-08-2004 06:56 PM

My 03 6.0 is has been flawless. 24,000 miles and not one problem. It is a late 03 and that probably makes a difference. The only thing I must do is let it warm up at least a few minutes before taking off. My 96 7.3 also was trouble free but much more power with the 6.0 and quieter. Both tow very well and you'll be ok with either. Much better technology with the 6.0 though. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

boot 09-08-2004 09:21 PM

robyw1, Did I read that right ? YOu don't think chips make performance gains ??? :eek: HAve you ever been in a PROPERLY chipped diesel ? :cool: If you have never blown away a mustang in a 7500 lbs dual wheel crew cab diesel 4x4 truck ,then you just don't understand .... :D The "RIGHT" chips do dozens of things to increase milage , make more power and help SAVE the transmission !

First of all , a good chip relies on ALL the sensors of the engine to make the best choices as to what changes are best suited for that exact moment .... Changes like timing, injector pulse width, fuel pressure, fuel volume, turbo pressure, on some diesels even electronic valve timing, shift points, torque converter lockup , etc.etc......

Most low quality chips do not increase turbo boost and that helps cause high exhaust temps, lots of smoke , and poor ,milage . I just installed a programmer and exhaust last week for a guy . I told him, but He wouldn't listen ...... Truck lost ,mileage and smokes like a pig ! Now he wants to swap back for the RIGHT chip... :rolleyes:

In the simplest form , adding more fuel to a diesel makes lots more power ! BUT , to do it right you need a lot of other things to happen at exactly the right time to make it all work efficiently and safely .

I got a call today from a guy that I did a truck for last week . 2003 7.3 ford. I did a Western diesel quad power chip , high flow filter, and a 4" MBRP exhaust . He Gained >> 4 MPG set on 80 hp <<< !!!!! :cool: :D He is getting 21.5 mpg on his 8 hour comute to work !

PS. propain is a cool idea BUT, Does the word "BOOM " mean anything to you ??? :( In my book , there is just too much to go wrong with propane . I have 2 guys in the midwest right now that called to see if I could figure out what went wrong...... A dodge and a duramax ... BOOOOMMMM !!! Blew the cranks right out through the oil pan on both trucks ! Neither guy knows the other , I didn't sell them the kits, and they are new trucks that USED TO have a warrenty ...... I sell (or could sell) kits from 5 different companies .. I WILL NOT sell it to a guy for a street truck . RACE only . To much can go wrong ... Just my .02

boot 09-08-2004 09:33 PM

For the guy that wants the most power from a chip , GET THE RIGHT CHIP TO START WITH ! IF you need more at that point , look at the F.A.S.S. system . (Fuel air seperator system) ... They work great on MOST trucks and give you that extra fuel you lack . Really good on 7.3's and dodges with lift pump problems . We've Gained about 40 hp on 7.3's with no chip . Just get the air out of the fuel ! truck runs smoother , quieter, better milage , more power ..... :cool:

>>> Also , coming soon (MAYBE) for you 7.3 ford guys ,,, Edge Juice with attitude monitor !!! Plug in ! No chips to deal with !

I am testing one right now for Edge . DON'T TELL ANYONE .IT'S A SECRET !! :drink:

Mac 09-08-2004 09:53 PM

have a 03 f350 super duty with pre 9-30-03 6.0 I pull a 42 fountain with the only mod being a 60hp chip i have had no trouble at all you dont know the boats back there i will soon be pulling a 44mti and expect no problems so far so good

cuda 09-08-2004 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by bowtie
My 03 6.0 is has been flawless. 24,000 miles and not one problem. It is a late 03 and that probably makes a difference. The only thing I must do is let it warm up at least a few minutes before taking off. My 96 7.3 also was trouble free but much more power with the 6.0 and quieter. Both tow very well and you'll be ok with either. Much better technology with the 6.0 though. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Don't you have the wrong avatar? :p

cuda 09-08-2004 10:07 PM

I test drove the very first O5 F250 diesel that Deland Ford brought in. That thing is sweet! They have done a bunch of changes on the engine, but the biggest difference to me is they changed the front to coil springs. It rides much smoother, and best of all, turns much sharper. That's the reason I bought a supercab instead of a crew cab on my 02, I hate to try to park those long sob's. The 05 I drove was a crew cab and turned much shaper than my SC. I gotta have one. I just have to wait until they start discounting them more. Drive one, you will be impressed.