Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Saving yourself from double hurricane deductables (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86652-saving-yourself-double-hurricane-deductables.html)

Iggy 09-08-2004 11:25 AM

Saving yourself from double hurricane deductables

Heard on the radio that if you suffered damge from Charley or Frances you should wait until Ivan passes before filing a claim.
Anyone who has started or processed a claim will be billed for a second deductable for any "new" damage. All those that wait will only have to pay a single deductable.
So, if you have an appointment with an adjuster, cancel it now! Make up a story, tell them you are going out of town on business, tell them anything, just don't start a claim now. Wait till Ivan has passed.

robyw1 09-08-2004 11:51 AM

Re: Saving yourself from double hurricane deductables

I heard the same thing and I'm in Houston. How funny.

Roby

BajaRunner 09-08-2004 12:17 PM

what is the time limit to file a claim? would hate to have time run out on someone. --but good point

robyw1 09-08-2004 12:33 PM

I believe my policy says 30-days or as soon as realistically possible in extenuating circumstances.

ChrisK 09-08-2004 06:52 PM

and the clock would start when Ivan passes.. not the first one...

Risk Taker 09-08-2004 08:24 PM

Boy...you guys think you have it all figured out..... :rolleyes: . If your house was damaged that bad from Frances, it would tend to reason that yours was not the only one in the neighborhood damaged. Your neighbors have already had their damage adjusted and settled, and here you come 2 weeks later with your claim for damage AFTER (maybe) a second storm.......

....with no witnesses to the fact that your home was damaged the FIRST time..... :rolleyes: :D .

Insurance companies are not that stupid..........and everyone else on this board will pay for your "working" the system...... :D .

Just my $ .02. (retired insurance guy). just trying to help.

florida gator 09-08-2004 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Risk Taker
Boy...you guys think you have it all figured out..... :rolleyes: . If your house was damaged that bad from Frances, it would tend to reason that yours was not the only one in the neighborhood damaged. Your neighbors have already had their damage adjusted and settled, and here you come 2 weeks later with your claim for damage AFTER (maybe) a second storm.......

....with no witnesses to the fact that your home was damaged the FIRST time..... :rolleyes: :D .

Insurance companies are not that stupid..........and everyone else on this board will pay for your "working" the system...... :D .

Just my $ .02. (retired insurance guy). just trying to help.

Obviously you have never been through anything like this. It is very possible to have one house severely damaged and the one next to it with absolutely no damage.

My power was only out for 24 hours. I knew others in my area still had no power (my mom is staying with me until hers comes back, and several other family members are using my shower, pool a/c etc.). While on my run tonight, I noticed one section of a road in my developement seemed dark. I realized that I was very ucky to b on one of the blocks that had been restored.

Risk Taker 09-08-2004 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by florida gator
Obviously you have never been through anything like this.

Wrong....I was in Ft. Lauderdale for Andrew....and 23 years in the insurance business....

I know what i'm talking about...

My mother is currently 5 days withoot power in Wellington. I'm just waiting for the flights to get straight so I can be down there to help.....

Iggy 09-09-2004 05:15 AM

When a homeowner has to pay 2-5% worth of deductable (that's 5K to 12K+ on a 250K home), because the insurance industry won't write a policy with a normal deductable, I'd be looking to save as much as possible. And I don't feel it's cheating.

How would you feel if you filed a 15K claim for damage from Charley, knowing you had a 2-5% decuctable, then Frances comes along and does even more damage (another 15K claim). Could you afford 10K to 24K for double deductables? Or even paying the entire repair bill out of pocket? The average homeowner can't afford it. I know I can't.

I know I'm one of the lucky few, but my deductable is $500 across the board.
Yes, even for hurricane windstorm.
Whatever happens to my home, even total destruction, I know I can afford to repair/rebuild.
I know policies like mine won't last. The insurance industry will lobby to get laws passed and my policy will be changed without my consent.

Slick02 09-09-2004 06:53 AM

Fraud is fraud no matter how you justify it. I understand yor position but there is no polite way to put it,,,its still insurance fraud.