Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hurricane Ivan Going North (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/86794-hurricane-ivan-going-north.html)

Donzi Corleone 09-10-2004 11:08 PM

Hurricane Ivan Going North

Well when I ck Sunday to see if the track says its going to be over Tpa Tues Im outa here. Im leaving town with boat in tow around 3 pm Sunday. Where to go is still to early to tell. If stays far enough out in the gulf I will head over to the East coast and wait to head South behind it. If it shows it going in near Sarasota and heads toward the interior then im headed North to Macon Ga. or maybe TN. This is like battle stations for the fourth time in 4 weeks over the weekend. I hear the hotels are booked up for the State of Fl. and Georgia. You should see I-75 NB here now,it's moving at 5 mph North and we havn't even started to evacuate the Gulf coast yet. This looks to be the real deal this time. It's a mass exodus to leave Fl.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts lets here what you would do. I have to decide where Im going to head and be able to stay cause the wife 2 daughters and an infant are on board so I cant afford to take chances on the road when things start going bad. Cat. 1 hurricane I might stay close by but this one is not up for discussion.

Audiofn 09-10-2004 11:14 PM

Re: Hurricane Ivan Going North

With the family I would pack up as early as you can and head North. If this thing stays as strong as it is you DO NOT want to be around. Best of luck to you.

Jon

articfriends 09-10-2004 11:27 PM

Leave in middle of night when traffics not as bad,leave NOW to beat the rush. I always leave florida to come back to michigan when everyones going to bed as to beat the traffic (like on easter weekend). Whats a few extra days on the road compared to waiting too long and being stuck in worse traffic sunday when panic sets in ,Best of luck,Smitty
(my sister and family live in Largo and they are going to wait until sunday night too,i said leave NOW,it's the weekend anyways,if it turns west come home mon or tues).

cuda 09-10-2004 11:54 PM

Frank, I took 75 north to come home today. Traffic wasn't bad, just a bit heavier than usual. The way I come here is 75 to hwy 44 then east to Deland. Not bad traffic that way. The trip takes a tad over two hours. The I 4 route sucks.

Cash Bar 09-11-2004 01:05 AM

Hey Frank, let me know if you think about Atlanta. I may be able to pull some hotel/motel strings. Just give me an idea when and what kind of place. We can always tear up lanier for a day or two.

Greg

hp500efi 09-11-2004 06:23 AM

Yikes, this is ONE nasty storm. . be safe out there.

Formula Outlaw 09-11-2004 09:02 AM

Ever so slowly the storm appears to be heading a little more west than originally projected, as that High Pressure Ridge over the Atlantic has not disapated like they thought it would. More and more of the "spaghetti" models are showing a westward course. Over the last 18 hours or so it seems to have moved about 100 miles westward. Thusday morning, Charlotte Harbor was ground zero. Now it's looking more like up in the "big bend" area of the panhandle. Still won't know for sure until it passes over Cuba, but slightly more encouraging than 24 hours ago.

And since we made the decision to ride it out, I pray that stays true.

Strip Poker 388 09-11-2004 10:07 AM

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/environme...es.pl?8ir-full

On this loop is looks like its going west some off Jamaica

Formula Outlaw 09-11-2004 04:29 PM

Frank, it looks like we just might get lucky with this one. The five pm update looks like it's going to be about 145 miles off the coast in our area around 2:00pm Tuesday afternoon. We can expect winds in the 40/45 mph area. Apparently a high pressure debeloped over the Gulf and over Florida which is keeping it away from the west coast.

Andrew Corn 09-11-2004 08:18 PM

Just remember, one's luck will be someone's misfortune.

Be prepared to offer support, assistance and prayers to those that are unlucky enough to get this one.

AC