lost port Trs drive...CRAP >

lost port Trs drive...CRAP

Notices

lost port Trs drive...CRAP

Old 09-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy lost port Trs drive...CRAP

Tried to make the Mentor Hot Rod run Saturday... Running hard from Cleveland to Mentor... 1/2 way between Cleveland and EastlakeLooked at potr tach.. climbing to 6k...CRAP!!! shut 'em down.. lost lower gear set.....anyone got drives or parts??? left counter rotating gear set lower.... Thanks...Dave
Old 09-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Re: lost port Trs drive...CRAP

Don't worry Larz will hook you up. he has all the tools. I told him i had a extra shim pack he could use. we rebuilt mine two years ago and all is good so far. ask him to see if he still knows were to get the parts pretty cheap.

Jack Jr
Old 09-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Call ATB engine, Dave can help you 936-344-7200. tell him Tom Williams told you to call.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bummer man. Thats odd I thought the left rotating trs was the stronger.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

They are pretty easy to rebuild, I did mine 4 times. The last time I rebuilt them I made the preload on the carrier a little tighter than spec and that seemed to work the best.

Left hand rotation should be the standard rotation on a TRS. Right hand is counter rotation on a TRS. The gears in the upper are different that is why they are opposite say an Alpha drive.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: lost port Trs drive...CRAP

Originally Posted by Panther
They are pretty easy to rebuild, I did mine 4 times. The last time I rebuilt them I made the preload on the carrier a little tighter than spec and that seemed to work the best.

Left hand rotation should be the standard rotation on a TRS. Right hand is counter rotation on a TRS. The gears in the upper are different that is why they are opposite say an Alpha drive.
That is not correct. The left hand drive is the couner rotating unit. The uppers are the same for right and left. The only difference between a left hand lower and the right is the placement of the lower drive gear. On a left hand drive, the drive gear is located in the front of the lower gear case and the right is located behind the pinion gear against the bearing carrier. The only major difference between the right and left is the propshaft. Everything else is interchangeable including the gears. (just located either in front of the pinion gear or behind)

Yes, they are simple to swap parts but you have to ask yourself why did it fail? The shimming is VERY critical in a TRS. If the shimming is off you will not have the correct gear pattern and will only be utilizing a portion of the tooth contact.

Believe me, I've blown up quite a few TRS drives and the most cost effective solution for me was to replace the old TRS with a pair of Konrad 540's They do not break.

Kurt
Old 09-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
That is not correct. The left hand drive is the couner rotating unit. The uppers are the same for right and left. The only difference between a left hand lower and the right is the placement of the lower drive gear. On a left hand drive, the drive gear is located in the front of the lower gear case and the right is located behind the pinion gear against the bearing carrier. The only major difference between the right and left is the propshaft. Everything else is interchangeable including the gears. (just located either in front of the pinion gear or behind)

Kurt
Kurt,

Not to debate but I believe you are incorrect. A left hand rotation TRS (prop turning counter clockwise when running, Port side drive usually) is the standard rotation drive, the gear is located in the rear. The drive with the prop turning clockwise (usually stbd side drive) is the counter rotating drive with the gear located in the carrier. I had one appart about a month ago. Either I'm right or we've been running the drives in reverse for the past 6 years.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is easy to confuse the wording.

I normally use clockwise (right) and counter clockwise (left) rotation for the actual way the prop shaft turns when viewed from the rear when the transmission is in forward.

I would use standard and non-standard rotation for which is the preferred assy of sale from the manufacturer.

Two very different ideas.

By the way, the uppers are definitely identical, and the lower driven gear is as Kurt said on either side of the pinion for left or right rotation. Left is on the forward side of the pinion. Right is on the aft side by the carrier.

As for what Merc set as standard, ask them. It sure seems like a bunch of singles are right handed. You would think that the standard rotation would be in the singles. Also, back then right handed props were more available.

Konrad actually named the left handed standard because left propellers are easy to come by now and the left assy is cheaper to manufacture as there are less parts.

If 100% reversing transmissions were used, then the drives could be the same. We do that in diesel applications as standard.