TELL ME BEST BOAT UNDER 28ft

Old 09-15-2004, 08:54 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: TELL ME BEST BOAT UNDER 28ft

I vote for the 28' Saber.
Of course, if you really want to jam through the rough stuff........
27' Activator or 27' Kryptonite or 27' Progression or 28' Pantera or etc........and the list goes on and on and on!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sydwayz,they are higher maintenance than the boat but worth it
Old 09-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

yes its a new option i started for warlock, so far its been a good seller
Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

sonic31, the boat has about 300 hours on it. The boat is garage kept, adn professionally maintained.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with something proven in the ruff.

28 Cig
28 Saber
28 Pantera
28 Powerplay

These are just some examples of boats that may not be the fastest but remember it's not how fast you go ...but how fast you get there.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by sonic31
Looking for a single engine no more then 2-3 years old or even a new one under $75,000 if possible, not so much the fastest thing but one that rides smooth and is built well thanks
dont know if its still around but Mel Rigs has/had a brand new unrigged 28 Apache that could be finished in your price range.
anyone have his number?

Old 09-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sydwayz,
Top of list recommendations:

28 AT
26 Sonic
288 Sunsation
271 Formula

Yeah if you a looking for Shmaltz.

Activator!!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Every boater is different. In the area where he is going to boat, the Chain Of Lakes, in IL/WI; the worst they are going to get is 2 footers, and most boaters in that area won't even go out in those conditions.

I based my recommendations on several things, including this is going to be a new boat owner, probably going to make a few mistakes, and probably going to resell the boat within 2-3 years. I still stand behind my recommendations 100% for Sonic31; as any one of the boats I mentioned is well suited for all needs mentioned.

Activator is a race proven hull, designed for wave skipping, not wave crushing right? How much racing is a guy with a troublesome back going to do? What's he going to do when it comes time to sell an Activa-who? in IL?

How many DCB or Howards do you see for sale in South Carolina?

I would highly recommend Pantera as well, IF he was going to spend time in Lake Michigan, again citing aforementioned needs. With only going to see at worst 2 foot waves, does he need to cart a Pantera all the way to IL for himself, just to have a hard time selling a Pantera-what in IL in a few years?

I will admit I have spouted off quite a bit of info for Sonic31. I hope everyone benefits somehow, even if just to point a finger, laugh, and say what an idiot Sydwayz is. We all need to realize we can't go around touting our own boat brand is the best for everyone, just because its our own boat brand. Different strokes fit better for different folks; now and in the future. We only get 3 pickup trucks to choose from for the most part. What if we only had three boats to choose from?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-16-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
We all need to realize we can't go around touting our own boat brand is the best for everyone, just because its our own boat brand. Different strokes fit better for different folks;
Very well said Brian. I constantly see that when someone asks a question like this. People are so proud of thier own boats they think it's better than every boat out there just because they have one.

Can't see where people come up with activators and skaters when the guy is looking for cabin, amenities, and comfort ????
Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

1, Also, when you are shopping, check out how much boat is actually in the water. I say this based on beaks and molded in swim platforms.
A 32 AT has more hull in the water than a 31 Sonic (molded platform).
A 26 Sonic (molded platform and notched transom) and a 25 Baja have about the same. A 27 Fountain has less than both aforementioned (beak and molded in platform). A 25 Checkmate including its bolted on Extreme Marine Tubular Swim Platform, was actually longer than my 26 Sonic.

2, Get in the bilge, and see what changing the spark plugs is like, and removing the sea-water pump.

3, Heck, even which side the gas fill on the boat is, makes a difference, if its on opposite side of the boat than the side your truck is on. Then it takes you 10 extra minutes to fill up both because you have to move around the pumps at the station.
three VERY good points, I didnt realize a 25 mate was bigger than a 26 Sonic....may be worth a look!!

ease of maintenace is also very important, especially for those of us who do it ourselves.

The gas fill side may seem like nothing, but believe me, when you wanna get to the water, and the gas station is busy, its not fun turning the rig around, and fighting to get back in line to pump another 100 gallons in the pig after just pumping 40 into the truck.

Quick Reply: TELL ME BEST BOAT UNDER 28ft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.