Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Please pray for my Dad...... >

Please pray for my Dad......

Notices

Please pray for my Dad......

Old 09-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Please pray for my Dad......

Don, Our prayers are w/ you. Pantera fam.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God Bless him, and you and your family. My father died at 61, and my wifes mother, at 60. Both within the last couple of years, and because of cancer. Way too young. We miss them both terribly. During these times, its amazing how much clarity one can gain about what in life truly matters, and how much of what we stress over daily is crap. Hug your family, tell them you love them, and do something un-ordinary with them. Everything else we surround ourselves with daily means nothing if you stop and look at it.
By the way, for every heartache we must endure through cancer, and other ruthless diseases our families are stricken with, there are also many wonderful stories of people who beat the odds, reminding us to never give up. Its also God's way of telling us, to get our heads out of our ass and be thankful for all the things we take for granted every day... God Bless your Dad !
Old 09-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Has anyone heard from Dyno today? I hope and pray all is going well with his Dad.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well Dad made it through the surgery today had a lymphnode removed his gallbladder and a piece of his liver, all went well now a few weeks to recoup and then chemo will probibly start. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers you guys rule.
Don
Old 09-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Don,

My thoughts and prayers are with you through this difficult time. I know all too well what you are going through. I lost my mom to renal cell cancer last May at the age of 62. Unfortunately, my colleagues in the medical profession had overlooked it on a CAT scan two years earlier when it was still contained within her kidney. By the time it was diagnosed, it had widely spread into her spinal column in two places and was inoperable and unresponsive to radiation.

Despite being completely paralyzed from the armpits down, she used to tell her doctors and others that she was going to "go ballroom dancing". I discovered a very quiet strength in her I had not known before. We had some of the best times and deepest conversations together.

Her suffering ended exactly one year to the day from the diagnosis. She fought valiantly until the very last day when we all knew it was time. As always, she was more worried about how everyone else was going to be with it. I actually had to tell her that it was OK to go. I find comfort knowing she is no longer suffering, now dancing on air in the grandest ballroom ever imagined. She is with me always now, and I feel that quiet strength she left to us.

I share this with you as I feel I have come to know you. My intent is not to discourage you, but to let you to know that you are not alone in this. You have my number ... please feel free to call if there is anything I can do, or if you just need someone to talk to.

Prayers and Best Wishes,

Chris
Old 09-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too lost my mom almost one year ago to kidney cancer. She had just turned 62 years old. She wasn't feeling well, and being the trooper that she is she kept going to work (they couldn't spare her). Finally after a week, she couldn't eat and was throwing up, she finally went to the doctor and they told her she had renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer). They made a appt. for biopsy (to see how far it spread), they called a few days later, needed her back in they didn't get a proper sample, so they made her another appt. By the time her second appt. came around she had to be admitted into the hospital, she was soo lathargic (not eating) and in soo much pain. She couldn't even talk to me on the phone (I live in NY, she in TX). My sisters called me and told me I better get down there. She died when I was in transit down there. It was three weeks since she started feeling sick. It all happened soo quick, I never got to say goodbye. We prayed and wished for a miracle, but it wasn't meant to be...I just wish I could turn back time so we have caught it before it spread through out her body, and maybe I could have said goodbye and saw her more often, it had been several years. I don't mean to be a downer, I hope all goes well with your dad Don, sadly I can relate with what your going through. At least you can spend quality time with him. My thoughts are with you and your Dad!!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Prayers are with you and your family.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

Glad to hear he made it thru, now it is time to get to work, when can we see him and where is he at? In Holland? Le t me know if we can go together and when, remember to use me, I am seconds away. I will be away this weekend but not till Fri late so once again....USE ME. Lets put some cheer in his life, got any boat pics we can put in his room, load him up with family photos and things that make him want to fight to enjoy again. I am sure just opening his eyes is a relief, now lets make him remember why. He is a fighter, he has proven that time and time again. Great news Don.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:12 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Thanks again everyone......Mitch and Chris you guys are always there for me. Going back out to the hospital tonight I'll bring some boat pics to cheer him up (great idea Mitch) We cant start treatment until he heals from the operation maybe 3-4 weeks thats going to be frustrating....If I have any more medical ?'s I'll call you Chris and thanks again!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:42 AM
Registered

Dyno...I'm so glad he has made it through the surgery okay. I'm sure you realize that this is a major step towards his recovery, but there are more steps to take and I pray that each of you has the strength and peace needed to attack it back as a family.

I share this next part with you not to discourage, but to hopefully prevent you and your family from experiencing what my family went through.

My grandfather had breast cancer about 10 years ago. They removed his breast and gave him chemo. It was thought that all was well, and for some time, it was. About 5 years later he began getting sick. Tired all the time, losing weight and his skin tone was "off". It took almost 2 years for them to figure out what the problem was...it was kidney cancer. The type of kidney cancer he had (forgive me, I may screw part of this up) was a secondary cancer, in that it came from some other place in his body which was his "primary" cancer. The only other cancer he had was his breast. They removed his kidney but his body was so worn down from the cancer he passed within 6 days of beginning his chemo. We often wonder if we had gone the "extra mile" and he had both chemo and radiation after his breast cancer, he may be with us today.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a downer message. Please know that I'm thinking of you and can relate to what you're going through on many levels. It's difficult to say the least. I think of your Dad often, and found myself looking for an updated post from you quite often yesterday. I just felt it was important to tell you the radiation part...while it may make him sick in the short term, if it's at all possible - I think it's worth it (and don't let the Dr. tell you any different..and they will try).

God Speed.

Amy

Quick Reply: Please pray for my Dad......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.