Please help me figure out how to drive my boat and get it on plane >

Please help me figure out how to drive my boat and get it on plane

Notices

Please help me figure out how to drive my boat and get it on plane

Old 09-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please help me figure out how to drive my boat and get it on plane

Props dude. Cleavers are surface props. Get 4 blade through hub exhaust props. You will not believe the difference. Talk to Matt or Julie at THROTTLEUP.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Registered

Had the same problem. Went from 25P Mirages to 24P Bravos on my 32 BT. Solved it completely and made the boat way smoother and lot more drivable.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of all of these tricks and a couple more......One was to get it going as best you can and when it starts to cavitate, back out, this will bring the nose down, then hit it again, until the nose raises and the props cavitate, then back out again, repeat as necessary!!

other was once I heard back when they where first trying to break 100mph in a V-Hull that actually had to pulled up on plain! Don't ask me how! or what kind of boat it was, I just heard the story!! (I would have loved to watch it though!!! from a safe distance!! )
Old 09-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All you need is the right props !!!!!!

Trust me ! I just did it . 3 blade cleavesr SUCK ! They should have NEVER been on that boat ! There is NO need to space TRS drives . They are too low now . Get a set of either "bravo 1 " 4 blades . or Hydramotives , also in 4 blades . ROUND EAR PROPS , NOT POINTED CLEAVERS ! We are setting up a 40' excalibur hawk right now . Almost the same as yours . It had the same package (TRS, and cleavers ) except about 450 hp 454's . cleavers SUCK ! mirage 3 blades were not much better ,but a little .... 4 blade bravo props work great ! We were using 23" 3 blades , then 23" 4 blades ( that were 24's turned back , THANKS "EXCAVATOR" ) Now we are going for 26 4 blades .

I am real surprised you have 21's ???

Don't sink your tabs so deep . Like Tonto said , they screw up the water into the prop . This excalibur planes with NO TAB AT ALL and in almost any drive trim up about 3 on the scale !

Good luck ! Joe
Old 09-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Also , you can wreck props by cavitating them to much . Boils the water and takes the edge off . With cleavers , most work by brings it up to 4,000 , then back it off to about 3,000 and it will start to hook up and then it will go . Just get 4 blades and fogetabotit !
Old 09-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Titos told me this trick.
Run the RPMs up and get the nose up as far as you can. Right as you start to blow out; yank the throttles back to 1000RPM, and let the wake hit the back of the boat. This will give you a huge wall of water to drive the props through, by quickly bringing the RPMs up. Be careful not to yank the RPMs back down below 1000RPM or so, so you don't get water up the exhaust.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Registered

Brian good call, that does work if you time it right.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Titos told me this trick.
Run the RPMs up and get the nose up as far as you can. Right as you start to blow out; yank the throttles back to 1000RPM, and let the wake hit the back of the boat. This will give you a huge wall of water to drive the props through, by quickly bringing the RPMs up. Be careful not to yank the RPMs back down below 1000RPM or so, so you don't get water up the exhaust.
Sure that might work but consider that this guy is asking how to plane a boat and has a huge scarab running cleaver props. He's not as advanced as you would need to be to pull this off consistently. I'm with Boot. He needs new props, preferably 4 blade thru hub hydros or bravos. He will get the boat up on plane every time with minimal effort.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Try tabs LEVEL with boat.
Drives IN all the way.

rpms to 3000 and hold it there. If you don't see/feel gradual speed increasing, then feed it a few more revs. Should come on out gradually but I wouldn't expect a good hookup till you are running over 30mph.

Mirages style blades will probably work much better.
I agree... tabs level or maybe just a little down.. all the way down creates so much drag... then slowly accellerate until it comes on plane.... then begin to trim out the drives...
Old 09-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have four blade props on my 357 Formula with TRS drives and 540 hp per engine. I get on plane easily and have never had three blade props. However, If I do put my tabs way down and go slow (2200 rpm) then my port prop will cavitate exactly like what phughes is talking about. When I bring the tabs back up it hooks.

I'm sure you've already tried rocking it on plane with the tabs all the way up and drives down but if not it's worth a try. Since you've only had it out two times you mighjt find a sweet spot and be able to rock it on plane. At least that might work until you round up some new props.

Quick Reply: Please help me figure out how to drive my boat and get it on plane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.