Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
DIRT cheap cat project? What should I look for? >

DIRT cheap cat project? What should I look for?

Notices

DIRT cheap cat project? What should I look for?

Old 02-25-2016, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIRT cheap cat project? What should I look for?

I've posted this elsewhere so I apologize to any of you who have already seen it on RDP or SaF..

I live in North Texas (Dallas) and would like to find an ULTRA cheap cat or picklefork hull.. I am talking something that needs to be flipped, sanded, painted, maybe even the transom redone, interior completely redone, powered, etc... I am not looking to get on the lake with this boat this summer but I do have a very high interest in getting into the tunnel hull boat fun eventually..

With that said - I'm not necessarily asking if anyone has one for sale/etc - more like asking what would be good to search for on the various forums/craiglist/etc.. Eliminators come up a lot but not rarely in bad enough shape to be cheap enough for what I can do.. Are there any other models that were earlier (early to mid 80s?) and possibly plentiful enough that I would have a good chance at finding one abused? Looking for something 18-22 feet..

Also.. I am not looking for anything fast.. 60mph would be totally fine by me - therefore I don't really care about blow over concerns/etc as I will never reach speeds to need to worry about it.. Just love the look and am wanting a project..

Thanks for any and all replies..

doc

Last edited by doc_texoma; 02-25-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Doc, Like I stated in another thread, a cat is of no use at 60MPH. They just aren't working at that slow speed - like trying to ride a bicycle at a crawl. The hull is confused at speeds that do not produce hull lift. Driving a cat, one wants to blow thru those mid speeds to reach speeds where the sponsons are on top of the water, not plowing thru it. I think that you need to take a ride in one to understand how they react. Try to find a 21 Cougar MTR or Eliminator or something similar. Also note that that size boat is a 4 person max boat, IMO, two is best and not for water above 1' to 1.5'.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Registered

Taboma - thank you for the reply...

Based on the term "air entrapment" I sort of thought that getting a pretty high speed would play a key part in making that type of hull "work" ... Makes perfect sense..

I am not terribly concerned about carrying a gaggle of people.. Me and my girl and a cooler and some towels would be about it.. With that said, I've even been looking for stuff like a Magnum Missile or similar... I am assuming due to the low weight I would be able to get the hull working without as much power ..

I was afraid a smaller cat would not be good for rough water.. Lake Texoma is where I boat normally, but I'd like to find something small enough that I could take anywhere and play on other lakes whereas my V hull boat is just a pain in the arse to pull around with the truck I have.. Basically I'm a poor guy looking to have more fun than my available funds will allow..

I know there are the micro cats at 12' or 13' or whatever.. Just not interested in any of that and would want/need at least 16' ...

I apologize for not catching the reply in the other thread you mentioned.. Any further comment (on something like a missile fitting my needs) etc, would be welcome by you or anyone else...

There is also the "classic boat" factor that I kind of like about with something like a Magnum or a Glastron Challenger or something similar..

doc
Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a Donzi Sweet 16 or the Clone, Four Winns U1-17 or U-19. I have the 19 with 5.8 DP with some mods. Avery classic look - they were build from '96 thru '97 as I remember. A great ride in 2' to 2.5' chop up to 70 MPH. Deep vee with a great boat feel! Not too $$. Find a nice one and it would be a great boat for Texhoma. I have taken my U-19 to Texhoma and no problem. David.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Something like this may be your best bet. We had one growing up and had a blast.
Attached Thumbnails DIRT cheap cat project? What should I look for?-southwind-tunnel.jpg  
Old 02-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Registered

All sweet boats... I already own this though - so the V hull thing is taken care of.. I've owned a lot of Glastron Carlsons, a VIP vindicator, etc.. Nothing extremely fast but I'm a lifetime boater. I'd just like to try something different .. Like you guys say maybe I just need to hitch a ride on a small cat and see how I feel about it...

Ugh.. not a full member so I cannot post.. But I have this boat (though this isnt my exact boat!!)

Old 02-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by doc_texoma
All sweet boats... I already own this though - so the V hull thing is taken care of.. I've owned a lot of Glastron Carlsons, a VIP vindicator, etc.. Nothing extremely fast but I'm a lifetime boater. I'd just like to try something different .. Like you guys say maybe I just need to hitch a ride on a small cat and see how I feel about it...

Ugh.. not a full member so I cannot post.. But I have this boat (though this isnt my exact boat!!)

Doc,
The jet boat pictured above is a tunnel boat. Jet boats with a shallow tunnel run great. You don't want a catamaran at less than 30 feet, they ride like ****.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Registered

That last post wasn't fair. What I was trying to say if you're looking for a catamaran between 18-22 feet with speed expectations around 60 mph your best bet is a tunnel boat where the center pod is deeper than the outside sponsons at the transom. If you're looking for dirt cheap a jet drive is a nice option. Damn Bota Box and evening posts! Good luck with the purchase.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 AM
Registered

Thanks SecondWind.. You guys are the experts so I'm listening and learning... Quite honestly I simply love the look of a cat/pickle.. I've never been a excessive speed/builder type guy. Will keep my mind open while looking around for options..
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is that css glastron again..ill put the word out for a single outboard pickle hull less power,and send you a text if anything comes up in this area.i know a few wholesalers from this side of town who are always out and about looking at and buying boats. Roys boat yard has a stash of interesting boats also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.