MORE CRAP! Three Florida counties hit with new speed zones

Old 09-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MORE CRAP! Three Florida counties hit with new speed zones

Three Florida counties hit with new speed zones

Boating Industry
Thursday September 23, 2004

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has passed sweeping new protections for manatees, creating slow-speed zones along extensive shoreline areas of Hillsborough, Pinellas and Manatee counties, according to a story in the Tampa Tribune today.

The commission adopted the new boating restrictions at an all-day meeting Tuesday with more than 40 speakers arguing for and against the speed zones, according to the newspaper. The commission unanimously approved most of its staff scientists' recommendations, which underwent nearly two years of public meetings and public comment.

The speed-zone changes apply to all watercraft. Some of the more significant changes, as reported in the Tribune, included:

– In Pinellas County, the commission approved slow speed zones - between 5 mph and 10 mph - along the coast from Courtney Campbell causeway north to, and including, Safety Harbor.

– In Hillsborough County, the commission enacted a summer-only slow-speed zone on a section of Tampa coastline just north of Courtney Campbell, with a 25-mph channel along the north side of the causeway. The Little Manatee River, which had no speed limits, will have a limit of 25 mph for its entire length, except the shallow grass flats at its mouth, where watercraft will be limited to idle speed.

– In Manatee County, all of Bishops Harbor will be a slow speed zone. Watercraft in the shallow areas along the banks of the Manatee River also will be limited to slow speed. Most of the Braden River will be a slow speed zone except for some eastern recreational areas.

To see the new speed zones in their entirety, go to www.myfwc.com and click on news from the Sept. 22-24 commission meeting, then click on agenda. Scroll down to manatee protection rules.

The new rules take effect as soon as the affected areas can be posted, according to the Tribune.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: MORE CRAP! Three Florida counties hit with new speed zones

Yep, more bad news!
F'in things!

You can see the maps here:
http://myfwc.com/commission/2004/Sep...WC_Sept-04.pdf

Looks like a lot will be affected. For now, it's mostly just along coasts, but it won't be long before more trouble follows.

The worst that I can see is between Anna Maria and Sarasota Bay...It's all going to be no wake!!!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Welcome to the world of boating in FLorida!!!! It all started over here in Brevard County and I hate to tell you it has not got any better. They just continue to SUCK the enjoyment out of this sport. We currently have a one hour idle when we leave our so called water front homes. Good Luck.

Dail
Old 09-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 908 Likes on 456 Posts

MAN!!! WTF am i looking for property for then!?!?! By the time i would find something nice it wouldnt be worth having a boat down there!!! I think CA is looking better and better!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Registered

"Street Sweeper", and "underwater demolition charges" and eradicate the problem.

I caught a blurb of this on the news last night.

The Save the Manatee Club is the worst bunch of "zealots" I've ever come across. And the Wildlife Commission is buying their "Chicken Little/the Sky is Falling" hook, line, and sinker.

Manatee population has increased by over 300% over the last ten/twelve years, while boating registration and useage has skyrocketed at the exact same time. Where is their logic?????

Oh, I forgot, it's government, logic doesn't exist in their world.