Notices

Screwed by a surveyor

Old 09-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed by a surveyor

When I was looking for a used boat this summer, I found one and had a "surveyor" go out and give me a report. I got the guys name from the Insurance company's recommend surveyors in the area. He charged little over $350 and gave the boat a good report, detailed and said the only problem was that the prop was in need of repair/replacement and that the batteries needed replaced. No evidence of any damages, salt, or mechanical etc.

Fast forward 3 months.... I blew out the engine coupler, no big deal the boat had some hours on it and I knew it would go eventually. While in the shop, the mechanics call me and say I need to come down and talk about the boat. I go down there today and I'm screwed. The motor mounts are corroded from salt, and had to be cut out, the exhaust is corroded from salt and the manifold bolts broke removing one of the manifolds to remove the engine, rear main leaking, intake is leaking, use of non Coast Guard hoses and filters on the gas lines, and on and on.

Should I go after this guy and try and recoup my money? Is there any regulatory agency that govern this? I've already notified my insurance company about the survey report he submitted to them and me. Do I have any legal recourse to recoup any of the repair bill on parts that are/were bad at the time that he did the survey?

Thanks-
Chris
Old 09-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Screwed by a surveyor

Originally Posted by Chris In Vegas
When I was looking for a used boat this summer, I found one and had a "surveyor" go out and give me a report. I got the guys name from the Insurance company's recommend surveyors in the area. He charged little over $350 and gave the boat a good report, detailed and said the only problem was that the prop was in need of repair/replacement and that the batteries needed replaced. No evidence of any damages, salt, or mechanical etc.

Fast forward 3 months.... I blew out the engine coupler, no big deal the boat had some hours on it and I knew it would go eventually. While in the shop, the mechanics call me and say I need to come down and talk about the boat. I go down there today and I'm screwed. The motor mounts are corroded from salt, and had to be cut out, the exhaust is corroded from salt and the manifold bolts broke removing one of the manifolds to remove the engine, rear main leaking, intake is leaking, use of non Coast Guard hoses and filters on the gas lines, and on and on.

Should I go after this guy and try and recoup my money? Is there any regulatory agency that govern this? I've already notified my insurance company about the survey report he submitted to them and me. Do I have any legal recourse to recoup any of the repair bill on parts that are/were bad at the time that he did the survey?

Thanks-
Chris
This is a touchy subject. I would call the surveyor first and discus with him the problem. What are his credentials??

Contact the Society of Accredited Marines Surveyor's assoc. (AMS) or the American Boat and Yacht council (ABYC) and see if he is a member. If he did screw up, they will come down hard on him. I would also have your insurance company try to put heat on the appraiser if it's something he missed. good luck!
Gerard
Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Registered

most surveyors only do a structural check on the hull and visually look over mechanics. they will require more money to do a full mechanical inspection. Did you pay for mechanical? i could see if you had a moisture problem you could try to do something. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

This sounds like little things that the surveyor wouldn't of commented on. How can he tell if some exhaust manifold bolts were corroded solid? The coupler is hard to tell if it's going to fail too. I highly doubt if any surveyors pull the drive to check the alignment. Ultimatly, you are responsible for these things. Now if the engine, drive or hull turn out to be junk, then you might have some recourse.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

about the only thing i see he should have caught is the non CG approved hoses and filters.....unless he did a sea-trial then there was no way for him to catch the leaking seals or intake. And i'm sure the previous owner cleaned things up to make it look good. On the rust issue, again theres no way to check unless its taken appart. Metal + Water = Rust....just a normal thing to see on a boat unless they are anal and spray everything down with WD-40 every season like i do!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Wally and others. The hoses, filters, and other non-USCG approved equipment should've been caught, but the coupler (as you said) is a regular maintenance item. The manifolds can only be inspected from the exterior without tearing them off the engine. The engine mounts he should've seen if the corrosion is that significant.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:21 PM
marine survey

Did you get a plain insurance survey from the surveyor or did you pay him for a prepurchase survey........Did you pay for a prepurchase survey and also pay for an engine survey with compression test?

If you payed for an insurance survey the price is much cheaper and all the survey is looking for is Hull integrity and seaworthiness..