Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which boat? and Why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87757-boat-why.html)

Chris 09-28-2004 04:42 PM

Which boat? and Why?

I am seriously looking at a new boat in the 35 foot range. I am 99% sure my mind is made up on my next boat. However I would love to hear opinions on all of the boats that made my short list or any others that stand out.
These are the boats that made my list:

33 Active Thunder
35 Cigarette
33 PowerPlay
34 Saber
35 Sutphen

Things that are important to me are in order:
1. Hard Core rough water performance
2. Build quality
3. cabin / cockpit size
4. speed
5. did I mention; rough water performance

All of these boats in my opinion are awesome boats and I would be privileged to own any one of them. The only thing holding me back is my current ride.

Don Adams 09-28-2004 04:48 PM

Re: Which boat? and Why?

Formula top quality

Wasabe 09-28-2004 05:01 PM

CIGARETTE Duuuuuuuuuur. It crushes waves better then anyother offshore boat. You know that ;)

getreal 09-28-2004 05:02 PM

I don't know way anyone would but a "V" over a "cat" but the 35' Nordic would be my choice.

birdog 09-28-2004 05:04 PM

Quite a list !!!!....But...... Only one has the big red 1 !! :D

articfriends 09-28-2004 05:26 PM

Chris,your requirements are alot like mine,i plan on jumpimg up to 35 range for my next boat,was the 35 fountain's cabin/cockpit too small to make your list,just curious,Smitty

thedonz 09-28-2004 06:14 PM

well i like your taste very much but like birdog said only one has that #1 and we all know which is the best in the rough cig or apache. i also love the 33 powerplay but then again ya want cabin , and their cabin are very plain. i don't like cabin at all but then again i will never but never use it. keep us posted

donz jr mike :D

birdog 09-28-2004 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
Chris,your requirements are alot like mine,i plan on jumpimg up to 35 range for my next boat,was the 35 fountain's cabin/cockpit too small to make your list,just curious,Smitty

Fountains do what they do, very well, but.......
See above.....Points 1 & 5

BADA BING 09-28-2004 06:26 PM

Opinion only:
Cig Cafe is a solid choice, the 353 Formula is another great choice and priced used...you could get a newer boat like a 99 or 2000 with 500efi power compared to buying a cafe that is 10 years old with tired power.

The other option to consider, you can find some fairly new 38 SCARABS on the market now within a price range of 90-130k, I am assuming this is the price range you are in by the list of boats you listed.

Others here on the board will probably have some useful advice, give it a day or two and then start your hunt for the right boat :cool:

frequentflyer 09-28-2004 06:39 PM

PowerPlay... No bias here... hehe :D

Biggus 09-28-2004 06:54 PM

Cigarette

For the quality

FOR THE WAVE MASHING RIDE

THE BEST RESALE VALUE

Chris 09-28-2004 07:00 PM

articfriends,
I really like fountains great lines and really fast. I don't think anybody could argue that fountain is a good boat , they just aren't for me.

BADA BING,
The price range of boat that I am considering would be new or next to new...depending on what I could find.

again, I am close to making a deal. I don't want to jinx it by blabbing too much at this time. I still like to hear what people have to say and don't want to over look anything.

BADA BING 09-28-2004 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chris
articfriends,

BADA BING,
The price range of boat that I am considering would be new or next to new...depending on what I could find.

again, I am close to making a deal. I don't want to jinx it by blabbing too much at this time. I still like to hear what people have to say and don't want to over look anything.

Sorry, I hope I did not offend by guessing or saying you only had 90-130k to spend on a boat, I figured since you said a CIG 35 you meant a Cafe, and most of those are about 10 years old, but if your talkin about getting a Playboy CIG...now your talkin, that boat was one of the nicest boats ever made...the black with silver accent's was a cool combo :cool:

Sick Nordic 09-28-2004 07:15 PM

I'll give you a great deal on a 35 Nordic. Good ride,great cabin and quick as hell with the 525's

Chris 09-28-2004 07:20 PM

BADA BING,
NO OFFENSE at all. You are right, the 35 Playboys seem to get over looked sometimes by the Top Gun

Tricky919 09-28-2004 08:02 PM

I just traded in my 2004 35' Fountain for a 2001 35' Cigarette. I took delivery on Fri and splashed it that evening, put it right on the lift and woke up sat. morning and took it to the Glen Cove poker run. It's an awesome boat. It's just two different worlds. The Fountain cockpit was to small and low for me. I am more comfortable in the Cig. cockpit.

TxHawk 09-28-2004 08:16 PM

The Cigarette. Too me they are more boat than the others. I have yet to see another boat next to a cigarette that i would rather own. Except a Skater or MTI.

Wasabe 09-28-2004 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by getreal
I don't know way anyone would but a "V" over a "cat" but the 35' Nordic would be my choice.

Because out in the ocean when the water is rough I don't want to go 20 mph.

When the video of the LB S.C.O.P.E. Poker Run comes you'll see all the scaredy cats eating Cigarette wake. yeah.

However if is for lake pleasure then the Cat is the way to go.

Ryan Beckley 09-28-2004 09:03 PM

Be different get the Sutphen. I just met Richie recently and know for fact he will build you a hell of a boat ANY way you want it. No questions either on the rough water performance.

Semper Fi 09-28-2004 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wasabe
CIGARETTE Duuuuuuuuuur. It crushes waves better then anyother offshore boat. You know that ;)

I guess you never rode in a 41' Apache

Smarty 09-28-2004 10:11 PM

Based on your choices, I would go with Sutphen, better rough water than all of your other choices, if we are talking used. If new, based on your boat manufacture choices, I would go Cigarette.

PatriYacht 09-29-2004 08:01 AM

Go 37 Active Thunder. For about the same price as a 35 Cigarette it would cover your needs better than any thing on your list. Fast, good rough water ride, lots of room and excellent build quality. There are a few late model used ones around too.

Stormrider 09-29-2004 08:09 AM

New???
33 Powerplay or a 36 Pantera.

trader1 09-29-2004 09:21 AM

You should take a look at my powerplay. It is not advertized but is for sale.

scottsumrall 09-29-2004 01:13 PM

What About A Brand New Cigarette Mystique, 33 Overall Feet With The Swin Platform.

BajaRunner 09-29-2004 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Too Old
Touch 'em, rub on 'em and take 'em for a ride.

Is that for boats or women? :D :D

BODYSHOT1 09-29-2004 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Too Old
Gee....let me think..... :D :D :D

Roger-that, Fred!... :D

Chris 09-30-2004 08:45 PM

Thank you for the feedback!

GLH 10-01-2004 07:42 AM

Everyone wants a Cigarette.

Whether they admit it or not. :D

thedonz 10-01-2004 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by GLH

but only the lucky have them :D

donz jr mike

Nauti Kitty 10-02-2004 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by GLH

Huh? :rolleyes:

Comanche3Six 10-03-2004 08:15 AM

35 Cigarette
The highest quality boat on that list. Famous for it's rough water performance.

bluellama 10-03-2004 08:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Take a look at the new Donzi 35 ZR, ZR style deck/hull, functional light cabin.

Byrdman 10-03-2004 08:45 AM

Go visit all the shops where there built and you will see the 1 company that is the best...take the time. Cigarette.

Nauti Kitty 10-03-2004 03:58 PM

How many of you on this board, commenting on this thread, have been to sutphen or saber's plant to see how they are made? Or the other three for that matter? I beleive Chris was asking for opinions, hoping there was some fact based observations, and I doubt many of you have that regarding build quality. Good "rough water boat"? No one on this board can even agree on how big a five foot wave is. If you don't know what rough water is how can you declare the ride of a good rough water boat? Particularily if you have not been out in all five boats in identical rough conditions. If it were my poll I'd ask the tough question of why after a response but of course the problem would be, few "fact based" opinions would be brought forth.

Just my humble observation. NK

J-BOAT 10-03-2004 05:34 PM

Not much help here. I haven't owned any on that impressive list.
But my next boat is a sutphen.

bob 10-03-2004 09:48 PM

Guess I am with Too Old and Bodyshot :D