Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Starting my new job... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87798-starting-my-new-job.html)

Sean 09-29-2004 11:07 AM

Starting my new job...

Well...I've had enough of working in Manhattan and traveling to the Hamptons every weekend...

I've decided to chuck it all and leave my IT career behind...I've been in the business for a little more than 10 years and have finally had enough. I dread going to work everyday and count the minutes until my weekend begins.

So, I answered and ad in the local newspaper and I'm now the new General Manager at the Shelter Island Yacht Club. This one of the oldest and most prestigious yacht clubs in the country... The membership is a virtual who's who in some very elite circles...and the folks I've met are some of the most down to earth people you will find. No pretense here...just a great bunch of people that love the water and love to sail...yes...I said sail...it's not a bad word :)

And...they found out after offering me the job that I own a Cigarette...it certainly raised some eyebrows, but it seems they've accepted me anyway :)

Here's a link to the club's website...which is in need of some updates and on my list of things to do :)

http://www.siyc.com

One of my bosses is behind the development of the Ford Plantation with the Greenbrier Club outside Savanah, GA...which I will be visiting this winter to train for my new job. :) Golf anyone?

http://www.thegreenbriersportingclub...brsc/indx2.htm

Wish me luck in my new career :)

Sydwayz 09-29-2004 11:11 AM

Re: Starting my new job...

WOW! HUGE step, best of luck and congrats!!

Tabasco Cat 09-29-2004 11:12 AM

Best of luck and 'smooth sailing' :D

JROMY 09-29-2004 11:15 AM

Congratulations Sean - That sounds like the new job will work out great. I did the Manhattan thing for about 5 months and that was enough for me. It is so worth not dealing with the City!

Ange 09-29-2004 11:17 AM

Way to go Sean! Good luck!

29scarab 09-29-2004 11:19 AM

Best Wishes Sean!!!!!!!!

IceAngel 09-29-2004 11:22 AM

GOOD LUCK SEAN!!!!

Terra and Sean (the other Sean ;) )

rainmn 09-29-2004 11:23 AM

Good luck Sean...I envy you.
I work in telecom, and worked in Manhattan for years too. After 10 years in this business, I've had it.
Hopefully, sometime in the future I'll be able to put up a similar post.

CigDaze 09-29-2004 11:24 AM

Cool deal! Good luck with it.
I'm sure it'll be a huge change of pace. Enjoy it.

BonnieOutlaw 09-29-2004 11:26 AM

Good for you!!! What a wonderful opportunity! I wish you all the best.

ONESICKGLADIATOR 09-29-2004 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
GOOD LUCK SEAN!!!!

Next year I will stop off to see you there before I go offshore fishing or when I come back from fishing.

Rick OSG

Sloman 09-29-2004 11:47 AM

congrats good luck

Caincando1 09-29-2004 11:47 AM

Congrats. Talk about a big change of pace. Good for you!

rockstrmkr 09-29-2004 11:50 AM

Sean -
Awesome news !!!!!!!!

All the best,
Hans

SLIP AWAY 09-29-2004 11:50 AM

Sean,

Good luck, nice country out there!

Stormrider 09-29-2004 12:13 PM

Great move Sean. :D

Ms PatriYacht 09-29-2004 01:26 PM

The job sounds great, best wishes for your success. It should be a good example for people that are thinking about making a change in careers.

Indy 09-29-2004 01:32 PM

Sean...This is one of those great "follow your heart" stories. Sounds like a great job, now you can live out there and enjoy all that the area has to offer. Congratulations :D Who knows, maybe you'll even go sailing once in a while :p

BTW...are there any transient slips? Di and I might hunker down there for a night or two if we ever get another boat.

damdonzi 09-29-2004 01:52 PM

Nice! Congrats -when's the first poker run you will be organizing next year??? :D :drink:

Wasabe 09-29-2004 02:03 PM

http://www.imgag.com/product/thumbs/3054618t.gif <--------------Click me this is sooooo blonde!
:D:D:D

Sean 09-29-2004 02:26 PM

thanks for the card wasabe :D :D :D

sure hope i've made the right decision here...the well wishes certainly help! thanks everyone! even hans came out of hiding to wish me well. hope all is well with you my friend...

WesSmith 09-29-2004 02:29 PM

You're the MAN !!!!
Couldn't of happened to a nicer and more deserving guy.

Glad you grabbed the opportunity by the horns and went for it......now..need someone to mow the lawn out there ?
I'm sick of the NYC thing myself ! :D :D

Milord 09-29-2004 03:14 PM

Congrats man! I have only spent a few days in Manhattan and have no idea how people deal with that everyday of their lives! Great place to visit though. Good luck in your new endeavor, I'm sure it will be a much slower pace! :D

masi242 09-29-2004 03:21 PM

Congrats , Please take a pic of thier faces when you show up with the Cig. :D

mark

Pantera1 09-29-2004 05:27 PM

Hey the website has 420's for sale in the classifieds..
Nice move
"work to live dont live to work"

JCPERF 09-29-2004 06:01 PM

Good luck sean and you can make the dough to finish the tall deck engines.

Gary C 09-29-2004 06:08 PM

Wow, good luck buddy:):) That sounds like a dream job. You deserve it!

Shane 09-29-2004 06:39 PM

Good luck and best wishes. Can we have your new place a poker run stop? :p

BobbyB 09-29-2004 07:43 PM

Congrats

cig1988 09-30-2004 03:39 AM

Great news! Congrat's and welcome back. Hope everything will work out there. Does'nt Billy Joel keep his boat there?

Titan 09-30-2004 06:49 AM

Sean,

Shelter Island is a great place to be. My parents have a place in Dering Harbor up in the corner by the Second Bridge. Hope to see you around SI next summer. We need some new faces on the Island. I am sure that the hob nobs from the club will learn to deal with the Cig. You will definatly have to bring the Cig to work a few days this summer because it is getting old being the only performance boat in Dering HArbor. I worked at the club when I was in college running the race committee boat on Sunday's. Met a ton of nice people and always had fun.

Congradulatons and Best of Luck

Clay Washington 09-30-2004 07:40 AM

Best of luck to you, Sean.

P.S. I still want to buy your Cig one day. I just have to sell my boat first.

Sean 10-01-2004 07:27 AM

thanks again to everyone...i'm really looking forward to this change. :)

The club is very big on racing and its junior program is one of the biggest. My bosses share the same love of the water and boating and in reality that's all that matters to them...they really could care less that I have a Cig...and no Trout...I ain't trading the Cig for a sailboat. My goal is to get in side and teach sailboaters that us performance boat owners ain't so bad after all. :)

One of my bosses told me a story about the first time he showed up at the club with his Porsche...and got some interesting looks...they're really a laid back group and not "showy" with their money...mostly because it's "old" money...

As for a card stop...mebbe :) :) gimme a year to wear 'em down :)

WesSmith 10-01-2004 08:17 AM

BTW...Denise and I already ordered your white Captain's hat. :D
It comes as a special with a red ascot !!!!!

Just kiddin' there Buddy !
You gonna trek east this weekend or ya still working ??

Sean 10-15-2004 01:00 PM

well, today is my last day here in the city!

i start my new job on monday and i'm pretty psyched...i get to hang around boats all day long...even though some of them are sailboats :) I look forward to meeting all my new bosses(the members) and I think this is gonna be fun!

I'll be off the board for a bit while I get my house squared away with broadband and wireless...so if any of you guys are looknig at my parts for sale, call me instead of email or the board... my number is 516 455 1200.

sea ya later !!

Tbonepmp 10-15-2004 01:18 PM

Congrats... Best of luck!

Dave M 10-15-2004 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats! I think of doing the same thing all the time but I'm to afraid to take the leap.

Dont forget the ..... :D