Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Should shop assume some responsibility ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87957-should-shop-assume-some-responsibility.html)

offthefront 10-01-2004 08:27 PM

Should shop assume some responsibility ?

Took my 311SR to local shop to check Starboard motor not wanting to idle and missing ....They pulled the motor found one bent valve and one with slight corrosion . They had heads tested and replaced the two valves. They put it back together and test ran it and said all was well .....I picked up the boat and its a fve mile run across the lake to my dock ...It ran ok going over about 4000rpm top ...came off plane and Starboard motor quit ...Cranked it back up and motor was missing ...Shut it down and idled back over. They pulled the motor today and found same valve bent ...They say now that problem must be in the bottom end ....So I asked them if we are starting over from zero ? .. yup ...they fixed the other bent valve ...must be another problem ....This post is not about what is wrong ...( see " Valves Collide with Pistons" thread in Tech section) . I just think they should share some of the burden here .... If fact I asked or pointed out before we put it back together that we really didn't know what caused the first valve to hit the piston .... What ya think ?

Formula Outlaw 10-01-2004 08:38 PM

Re: Should shop assume some responsibility ?

Without question they should share the burden. I would think that it would be their responsibility down to the point of the original problem. I would also think they should have figured out why the valve bent in the first place. Any chance you can stop payment on a check if you wrote one? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

All else fails, sic the power of OSO on them. We can make their lives miserable. Russ

mopower 10-01-2004 08:43 PM

Yeah , what FO said. Valves don't bend for no reason at all. They didn't fix the problem...they fixed the result...and doing so allowed the problem to continue. If they were to fix it right this time , the least they should do it credit you with the last repair.

wwwTOPDJcom 10-01-2004 08:44 PM

? how many hours on the motor, did the shop recommend you have them gone through? Or did they say its just a bent valve... NO problem

offthefront 10-01-2004 09:22 PM

motors are Jasper remans. 25 hours ....as I posted earlier ...I stated several times that we really didnt know why the valve bent ...still dont ...head shop checked all the springs ...replaced 2 valves and all the exhaust seats ....very reputable head shop ....

R Addiction 10-01-2004 10:28 PM

Shop should back up their end of the repair. Stop payment!! :mad:

Reed Jensen 10-01-2004 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by mopower
Yeah , what FO said. Valves don't bend for no reason at all. They didn't fix the problem...they fixed the result...and doing so allowed the problem to continue. If they were to fix it right this time , the least they should do it credit you with the last repair.

I scream at the top of my lungs when a customer asks me to " just eliminate the symptoms... don't worry about the problem". That is what happens when the mechanic "changes parts" but doesn't understand the underlying problem that caused the bent valve in the first place. It could be the valve lifter is pumping up and causing the valve to be hit by the piston. ( unlikely ) It could also be that the "throw" on the one crank rod is longer and it strikes the valve during the overlap. ( unlikely ) I always have told people that the customer can always afford to have it fixed correctly.. But if it isn't.. then you as the mechanic get to fix it correctly for free. I once made the mistake of letting a customer dictate what brand of piston to put in his Aston Martin engine.. He had some cheap replacement pistons that he wanted re-installed in the engine with just new rings... I told him that the pistons were junk... both in design and manufacture... He tells me " I'm not spending a thousand dollars for new pistons just because you don't like the brand."... So I repaired the engine and he went out and flogged it... Well... the number 5 piston disintegrated and got chopped to pieces by the crank. Plus it took a big chunk out of the cylinder wall... He tells me I should stand behind my work... I told him... I do... but I don't stand behind his crappy used parts.. He tells me... " I would have changed the pistons if I thought they would have done this".. I tell him... Well... what do you think happens to pistons when they fail?.... Needless to say... he wanted me to then repair the engine at my expense.. plus give him a new set of pistons at my expense... hahahaha... Nope... his little decision to keep those old pistons cost him 10 grand...

offthefront 10-02-2004 05:49 AM

It just seems to be they should at the very least share the expense ..I did find out they called one of the more experienced shops to ask some questions ( they dont know I know) ..Its unfortunate ..but should be for both parties ..I went to them for their expertise ...

PatriYacht 10-02-2004 07:51 AM

Stop payment and then find another mechanic. He already had the heads off, what does he expect to find in the bottom end?

offthefront 10-02-2004 08:17 AM

you got me there ....seems if bottom end was bad ...the piston would come up ...damaging the piston and head ...I haven't seen it this time but last time it was just a imprint of the valve on the Piston ....which sez to me the valve is sticking,floating or sumthin ...