Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which Would You Do. Fly Into The Keys Or Miami And Drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88238-would-you-do-fly-into-keys-miami-drive.html)

berns29scarab 10-06-2004 04:56 PM

Which Would You Do. Fly Into The Keys Or Miami And Drive

Going down to the keys for the worlds and debating on wether to fly from newark NJ to Miami and drive the rest, or fly to miami than catch a grasshopper to the keys ?

tizbad4 10-06-2004 05:16 PM

Re: Which Would You Do. Fly Into The Keys Or Miami And Drive

Fly in. We use to fly to miami then drive. It's a nice drive. But if you want to party fly in.

berns29scarab 10-06-2004 05:28 PM

high 5 on that...flyin in wednesday AM and dont want to miss races...so i probably will fly right in

Ms PatriYacht 10-06-2004 06:18 PM

what are the airlines that fly from KW to Ft Lauderdale or Miami
I checked on Orbitz and their prices seem high. I was thinking of
just booking the return back direct since I will be down in the Ft Lauderdale area prior to the races.

Jonas 10-06-2004 06:19 PM

we land in miami 3 pm on monday and we are driving in from miami the next am that way can have fun night in miami and nice drive tue am.
never don it so looking forward to it

Quiet Storm 10-06-2004 06:38 PM

We are going to fly in. It is a nice drive from Miami but pretty long. Its not bad on the way down but when the party's over, its gets real long. :drool:

tizbad4 10-06-2004 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
We are going to fly in. It is a nice drive from Miami but pretty long. Its not bad on the way down but when the party's over, its gets real long. :drool:

Yes most times you have to leave kw at 3:30 am to catch your flight in miami. :eek:

CigDaze 10-06-2004 06:50 PM

Unless your cutting it close on your timing, I would fly into Miami and drive. It's a nice, scenic drive which will only take a couple hours.

Key West has a small airport. Service will be limited, the planes will be small, and the rates will usually be much more.

otis311 10-06-2004 07:03 PM

You will be lucky to get flights to KW this close to the worlds.

berns29scarab 10-06-2004 07:11 PM

unfortunately due to work schedule can only swing wed to sun so tryin to fly out early weds am and as late as possible sun pm...tryin to stretch monday

Spicy 10-06-2004 07:37 PM

I have to say everyone with the previous posts, are all right!!!!!!!!
It is a beautiful drive, stop for lunch in Islamorada on the way down, but such a long drive home. Flying is the way to go, but if you dont have a flight by now, good luck!!! Either way everybody have fun and be safe....

open87 10-06-2004 07:52 PM

the drive is great, lots to see and do along the way. but if time is a concern , fly.

The Menace 10-06-2004 07:57 PM

We fly from Fort Myers to KW. About 45 minutes. "Rapid Transit Air". :D

Ron P 10-06-2004 07:59 PM

Bernie, don't go to Newark. Catch the early flight on Spirit out of A/C to Ft Lauderdale, then get the puddle jumper to KW. It's a hassle free experience compared to going to Newark.

florida gator 10-06-2004 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by expresscat39
We fly from Fort Myers to KW. About 45 minutes. "Rapid Transit Air". :D

Have you tried the hi speed catamaran out of Ft Meyers?

I went with a group of people early summer. I culd not leave when they did so I flew from Tampa. I beat them there by far and was able to get hammered without worrying about dui.

I drove back with the group and after 4 days of partying, it's a lonnnnng ride. I vote fly.

Ron P 10-06-2004 08:18 PM

Not a bad option. A/C to Ft Meyers then to www.keywestshuttle.com.

Where does it dock? It might leave you off 10 feet from where you'll want to be. Otherwise, from the airport, take a taxi to Roosevelt Ave and rent a scooter. Parking is tough and expensive near the docks and Duval St.

CAP071 10-06-2004 08:30 PM

I've done both, But only driven it once. It's one of those things You just gotta try, The drive from Miami to Key West.

Just make her hum a tune on the way down over the bridges :D :eek:

Madcow 10-06-2004 08:47 PM

The drive down is great The drive back on the other hand (after partying all weekend) SUKS!!! :(

Ted G 10-06-2004 09:06 PM

Fly down to Ft Lauderdale, ride on the FPC poker run to KW, then ride back Monday with the gang :drink: :drink:

That is the only way to do it :D

R Addiction 10-07-2004 03:31 PM

Bern, We always fly into Ft.Lauderdale or Miami then drive down to KW. Once you hit the Keys the scenery is great!! Stop in Key Largo at a place called the Fish House......great food!! It will be on your left and right on the road. Looks like a shack but it has some awesome seafood. It took us 3.5 hours to get to Islamorada a few years ago and KW is another 1.5 hours WATCH YOUR SPEED!!! :D See you there!!! :drink:

We also leave on monday morning and fly out of Ft. Lauderdale at 3pm!!

GLH 10-07-2004 06:40 PM

Drive to Miami splash and Poker Run your rear end to KW.

CBR 10-07-2004 07:48 PM

Second and third AYE! for the Fish House in Key Largo! Some weathly Brit there last year said it was his favorite Restaurant in the "whole World."

I like their tropical fish Christmas lights. <gg>

MARK BENTLEY 10-08-2004 08:54 AM

Regarding flights. Here are two inexpensive commuters (usually). Try Gulfstream (Continental connection) or American Eagle. I have used both. American has the most flight options out of MIA.

R Addiction 10-08-2004 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by CBR
Second and third AYE! for the Fish House in Key Largo! Some weathly Brit there last year said it was his favorite Restaurant in the "whole World."

I like their tropical fish Christmas lights. <gg>

Got the Palm Tree lights in my basement. Keeps me in warm state of mind during the winter....That and a bottle of Captain!! :drink:

BandF 10-08-2004 10:19 AM

Last year we flew from Burlington. Vt to Miami, rented a car and drove to Key West, we spent on night on the way down, It is a great ride but once in Key west we never took the car out of the parking garage. The cost of the car rental and parking while in Key west was a waste, so this year we are flying into Key west and getting a shuttle to the Hyatt.

Hope to see you all there, somewhere.

Dixie Doug 10-08-2004 11:08 AM

If you guys are gonna tout driving, tell him some places to stop."Holiday Isle" about 87mm a must stop if you drive.

BODYSHOT1 10-08-2004 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ron P
Bernie, don't go to Newark. Catch the early flight on Spirit out of A/C to Ft Lauderdale, then get the puddle jumper to KW. It's a hassle free experience compared to going to Newark.

Roger-that....I've flown "Cape Air" from Lauderdale to KW...pretty cool actually... :drink:

Ike 10-08-2004 03:02 PM

We are flying to miami and then driving to KW. It bad enough that i am flying for the first time, i sure don't want to get in one of those puddle jumpers :eek:

R Addiction 10-08-2004 06:51 PM

Wuss!