Notices

Diesel Fuel Question?

Old 10-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Diesel Fuel Question?

In the early 80's while I was going to school I drove a fuel oil truck. Heating oil with kerosene added to it (amount depended on the time of year) and voila, premium diesel fuel. I know they went to this low sulpher diesel and dyed the heating oil red. Probably more to make sure the tax is paid. Is heating oil and diesel the now the same stuff? (additives)You would think if air quality was the issue,heating oil would be low sulpher also? The price sure seems hooked together. Here heating oil is $1.62 pump diesel $2.06. I'm surprised somebody hasn't found a way to cover up or neutralize the red dye. Doug
Old 10-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts
Default Re: Diesel Fuel Question?

There is a HUGE fine for doing this, as well as every station that I have seen has the Kerosene pumps physically locked up, and controls what it is put into.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Registered

Most of the kersone pumps I have seen have a hose just long enough to touch the ground and no more. I have heard of using kerosene to cut diesel fuel in extreme low temperatures but have not personally tried it. I know farmers do it to allow for easier starting of the tractors.

I know marine diesel is dyed red. For tax purposes as far as I can tell.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

We get winter blend diesel around November. I'm not sure of the ratio but I think it's around 5-10% Kero. Since kero has a lower BTU content per gallon than diesel I get to see about 1 mpg decrease in my Cummins When spring rolls around that 1 mpg comes back
Red dye is home heating oil or off road diesel, and green is on road fuel, don't get caught with red or clear kero in your on road truck, it means you didn't pay your .50+ road tax!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The guys with cranes and backhoes on job sites have home heating oil buys bring home heating oil to fill up thier machines. That is fine as they do not go on the road.... It is fine to run the home heating oil in there as far as not doing any damage to your truck, but it is illegal......

Jon
Old 10-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah ,we just paid $1.98 for home oil. diesel here is $2.05 ................. Remember when diesel was about half what gas cost ????
Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Registered

When I drove this truck, if it was on road fuel the tax was added. Apparently there was alot of untaxed fuel used as on road diesel thats why the dye, and my last comment. I just keep hearing that the price of diesel is hooked to heating oil. So is it the same stuff? The reason I ask is I am servicing a 20kw daewoo genset. I have to refill the fuel tank. Do I put in taxed road fuel or I can buy red off-road fuel? Is the red off-road Heating oil? In this genset shelf-life is a issue. Winter gelling also an issue but I put additives in any way. Cleaner burning would be good. I have to fill cans either way. Is it worth the few bucks I save. Doug P.S. My truck is gas.

Last edited by outriggers; 10-07-2004 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: Diesel Fuel Question?

check out this option for you Oil Burner. Me being in the Restaurant business, I am seriously considering it!!

http://www.greasel.com/
Old 10-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Registered

I have spent alot of time around big airports. I talked to a person filling all the support equipment ie baggage tugs,belt loaders gensets,big air compressors. He told me they burn Jet-A kerosene in all that stuff, and thats what the truck said on it. Wow, Boot more $ for heating oil then gas. Hi Jon, Doug

Last edited by outriggers; 10-07-2004 at 09:07 AM. Reason: text
Old 10-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Red dye is home heating oil or off road diesel, and green is on road fuel, don't get caught with red or clear kero in your on road truck, it means you didn't pay your .50+ road tax!
Yeah , and I love the states that take the road tax for gas used in your BOAT.....Bastages

Can you say.....revolution?

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.