Notices

ValvTect Marine Gas

Old 10-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ValvTect Marine Gas

Has anybody used this product in a blower motor? They claim that it raises the octane 5 points and that it contains a fuel stabilizer. I noticed that a lot of Florida marinas carry it.

DaveHam
Old 10-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: ValvTect Marine Gas

Hey Dave

Ask Howard about valvetec he uses it in his topgun. He doesn't use the premix at marinas though he mixes it himself.

Michael
Old 10-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the Valvetec out of the pumps quite a bit over the last few years in the Merc 800 SC's and haven't had any problems .

JM
Old 10-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: ValvTect Marine Gas

Originally Posted by DaveHam
Has anybody used this product in a blower motor? They claim that it raises the octane 5 points and that it contains a fuel stabilizer. I noticed that a lot of Florida marinas carry it.

DaveHam
The guy at my Shell gas dock says Valvetech is basically an engine additive detergent that is present in most gasolines these days but in higher concentration in some premium gasolines. Prevents varnish; frees sticky valves etc.

I didn't hear that it has anything to do with octane ratings but who knows.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Does anyone know if duralt raises your octane? I was going to drive my boat from anchor bay in lk st claire to sandusky ohio acrossed lk erie (weather permitting) this summer with a group of fellow boaters but where they stop for gas they only have 89 octane w/duralt fuel conditioner and my boat(blower motor) needs a very minimum of 92 octane,i usually use 93 or 94. The weather kicked up bad and we ended up going on a friends cruiser instead,when we stopped to fuel up the fuel attendant told us the same thing,that it raises octane 5 points. When ive seen valvetec i thought they claimed it lowered your required octane by cleaning the chambers,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 10-07-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Registered

Have a question, not to be a pessimistic jerk.....

Why not run AVGAS? The octane you want, and do you really need stabalizer? I dont know anyone who has a problem with keeping gas in their boats for too long of a time, I wish I did though!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

hyper,some guys have fountain 27 ft's with little gas tank's and have to buy gas on the water,others may need gas while on a long trip. Most hoses at airports wont reach the nearby lk or river,so avgas isn't always going to be the answer!Smitty (don't take my comments as a attack on fountains or hyper,i'm partly joking)
Old 10-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Valvtect additive is a:

Cleaning agent, yet one that isn't hard on the rubber parts of your fuel system. Most commercial cleaner treatments are made to run thru and flush out so they don't harden rubber. Not so with what is in the Valvtect.

Stabilizer. Great from two standpoints. One - a marina that sells a low volume of fuel can keep it in their tanks longer without worry. Two - a boat that sits can keep it in the tanks longer without worry.

Octane booster. This part is of very minimal benefit. Please note that the common way of rating a booster on a label is to call it "points". I believe in most cases, ten points is ONE octane point. Or maybe it is 100 points to ONE octane point. Anyhow, the octane boosting is not enough to notice. Keep in mind that you gotta cut gasoline pretty heavily to get much benefit. 50 gal 89 unleaded plus 50 gal toluene (114 octane) only gives you 100 gallons of 101 octane...

To dump 16 ozs of ANYTHING in 50 gallons of gasoline (91 octane) and expect much improvement is not realistic.

Take this example: Let's say you have some "booster" with an octane equivalency of 150 octane (ain't no such beast). Adding 16 oz to 50 galons would net you a 91.15 octane result. If you could find something that was "492 octane", then adding IT to 50 gallons of 91 would net you a FULL 92 octane brew... A WHOLE octane point.

We have a local marina that uses Valvtect additive. I like the stuff. But it isn't for raising octane...
Old 10-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperBaja
Have a question, not to be a pessimistic jerk.....

Why not run AVGAS? The octane you want, and do you really need stabalizer? I dont know anyone who has a problem with keeping gas in their boats for too long of a time, I wish I did though!
People seem to think that you can run aviation gas in anything... Gasoline is measured in several ways.... Octane... and Reed vapor pressure. The latter is the ability of fuel to atomize at a lower tempurature.. Gasoline in areas of the country that get cold have their fuel "seasonally adjusted"... in the winter.. for ease of starting the fuel has a higher vapor pressure... it evaporates at a lower temp.. If you ever see someone testing on a dyno... they measure the amount of humidity and barometric pressure... because the denser the air... the more power the engine will produce. That is why boats run better at sea level. Aviation gas is formulated to be able to vaporize at a high altitude and lower tempurature. Put av gas in a boat ... and without the jetting being adjusted for the fuel... it is very easy to run lean and detonate...Piston driven planes run at a almost constant rpm... and the jetting is adjusted during flight for optimum power and economy. Most airplanes have pyrometers in the exhaust and the engine manufacturers have specifications for exhaust temps... the rule is usually lean to maximum temp on the hottest cylinder.. and then richen until the exhaust on the hottest cylinder is 30 degrees cooler. I've seen guys put av gas in bikes and wonder why the pistons had holes in them after a while.Don't think because the aviation gasoline has a higer octane rating that it will work properly in a supercharged engine.... ONLY if the engine has been jetted for such fuel.

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 10-08-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
hyper,some guys have fountain 27 ft's with little gas tank's and have to buy gas on the water,others may need gas while on a long trip. Most hoses at airports wont reach the nearby lk or river,so avgas isn't always going to be the answer!Smitty (don't take my comments as a attack on fountains or hyper,i'm partly joking)
Gotcha.

reed- we always add a little 2 stroke oil to the gas.