Notices

erie islands today?

Old 10-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: erie islands today?

Thanks Fund... I can remember going to the Perry peace monument on one of the islands.... took off my sunglasses to take some pictures... walked a few yard... realized I'd left my glasses behind... and when I went back... my glasses were history... So I had to buy a new pair on the island........ Lessee.... that was 1978,.... hee hee hee... I still have the glasses I bought there... but now they are so scratched up... I just use them as safety glasses in the sunlight........
Old 10-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fund Razor,

That is a great history of the island. It makes me homesick for the "island"!!

Other facts:

The island was infested with rattlesnakes when first inhabited. AKA, Rattlesnake Island.

PIB is the village and S. Bass is the township (island).

The world's largest wooden Hotel stood on the island back in the 20s-30s until it burnt down. It stood where the state park currently resounds on the south side of the island.

SCT
Ex Gibralter Island resident.
Ex B.B. bartender (in another life).
Old 10-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by X-Driver
The island was infested with rattlesnakes when first inhabited. AKA, Rattlesnake Island.

PIB is the village and S. Bass is the township (island).

The world's largest wooden Hotel stood on the island back in the 20s-30s until it burnt down. It stood where the state park currently resounds on the south side of the island.

SCT
Ex Gibralter Island resident.
Ex B.B. bartender (in another life).
Rattlesnake Island is a small privately owned island nearby.
It has an estate, a couple homes, a dock, and an airstrip.

The hotel attached to the old Beer Barrel was wooden too. Until it burned down one memorial day weekend back in about 88. I was standing there when the BB went up, and I was snapping 35 mm shots as fast as I could. (After running down C dock and grabbing the camera off of the boat.) I have shots from the moment it caught on fire, the rotunda going up, everything until it was a smoking pile of rubble 90 minutes later. (When I ran out of film.)
the black smoke was unreal, and it's wierd to see the smoke and flames behind all of the boats in the muni marina.

Maybe I should scan some and put them on line. Many people would probably like to see that puppy as it went up.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Registered

Although they don't have rattlesnakes on south bass, they do have some Lake Erie Water Snakes, which are often mistaken for cottonmouths and killed. They were an endangered species until recently.

It's possible that a limited number of Mississauga (sp?) rattlers could have been found on PIB, because they are at least indigenous to Ohio, but they aren't common.