Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   backseat... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88472-backseat.html)

Chris 10-11-2004 09:46 AM

backseat...

I am not sure if this has been discussed before. When under way I notice most people that ride with me stand instead of sit. What would be more effective to have for the backseat and why?

R Addiction 10-11-2004 09:49 AM

Re: backseat...

Chris, Funny you ask this question. Just yesterday a 32 Baja was next to me at the marina with 4 standup/sitdown bolsters and a bench seat. I thought this was a great setup!! I personally would rather be in a bolster than a flat back seat. :D

CigDaze 10-11-2004 09:52 AM

Generally speaking, I much prefer the bench in the back. It's a good all around configuration which makes loading and unloading easier, boarding easier and is more comfortable for most people, most of the time.

However, for poker runs and high-speed running, the bolster config is better. It's more secure and something to grab onto is comforting.

Chris 10-11-2004 09:57 AM

I have seen boats with stand up bolster and I think that would be cool while underway. However, at the doc it may not be as practical???

skaterboy 10-11-2004 11:54 AM

There should be no comparison. Sit down bolsters in the right boat allow you to brace your legs and absorb shock through your legs compared to stand-up bolsters that transfer all of the impact to your spine.

R Addiction 10-11-2004 01:29 PM

I was thinking of the running in the rough stuff, Wasn't thinking about the docking aspect :rolleyes: I see how that would be a bit of a PITA!! :D

Waterfoul 10-11-2004 06:25 PM

I find my bench seat makes a pretty good third bunk when that buddy has had one too many to drive home. I find that aspect of a bench seat indisposable in my smaller (24') boat.

Reed Jensen 10-11-2004 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
For our type of boating (a lot of weekending and rafting off) the rear bench with two electric bolsters is the way to go. This gives a lot of cockpit room.

However, if all I did was tear up the water and run Poker Runs, then an extra set of bolsters or a rear bench turned into bolsters would be real nice.

Who are you trying to fool.... Trouty.... you'd install a big one piece perp seat in the back......... :D

HiPerf2000 10-12-2004 07:29 AM

In the edition of powerboat magazine where they covered the NYC poker run, there was a guy that made his own back seat. In the down position it was a flat bench seat. Then it was hinged towards the stern, and was able to flip up to make 3 or 4 stand up bolsters. I think it was a Nortech V ???? i think i remember a purple interior.

anyone else see this. they had a write up on the guy in the section where they covered the poker run.

BajaRunner 10-12-2004 12:59 PM

Bolsters are nice in the back, but i like the bench for 90% of my boating.