Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how? >

Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how?

Notices

Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how?

Old 10-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how?

Dyno,

Thats cheap for a jib crane, Our shop bought one last year for our
proto-type department. 10' arm, 16' high, 1 ton capacity for $6000
plus another $2,000 for the electric hoist.

If your get one keep in mind the leverage point when you put that
much weight out on the end. Prints for the one here required a
6' X 6' X 6' block of concrete with J-bolts running 4' deep into the concrete.

Foul,

Don't know what you had for quote's but Central Steel and Iron in Grand
Rapids. You can get a nice used I-beam for about $75 . Then you
can use a trolley too. Can you put this up between your truss running
the same direction as your Trusses to gain more height?

Cougarman
Old 10-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how?

To build on what CougarMan said, You can go to the Harbor Freight web site and get a 2Ton Trolley for that I-beam for $70. Just trying to help.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

heres what i use in my shop,150$ worth of steel,welded tabs on i-beam every 24 inches and lag screwed into ceiling joist,re-inforced last 2 joist and let beam stick out 4 ft extra past where joist ended,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how?-ubly-oct-9.jpg  
Old 10-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I'm not looking to lift a motor out of a boat, or to put one in. I just want to be able to lift a motor off a motor stand and be able to fully dress it once it's off (can't put the bell hosing and stuff on when it's on a stand). Also, I only have one motor stand, but 2 motors, so I'll need to be able to put one on and take one off the stand when the time comes. I already have the chain fall, so I figured I might as well utilize it.

As for the joists in my cieling, it is 7' from floor to bottom of the 2x4. The 10' jib wouldn't work for me. And this garage is the same garage I park my truck in, it was built about 40 years ago, so I simply just don't trust the trusses to hold up anything, and the cement is old and pourous so the jib crane would probably pull out eventually.

I was just to Lowes. They did NOT recomend using a 6x6 for this project. They were sure that any knot in the lumber would make it weak enough to break. 3 2x8's was one suggestion they had. They also have a 9'9" engineered beem (was to be a garage door header) laying out back for $80. I'm going to call a few scrap iron places tomorrow and check into an I-beam.

Last edited by Waterfoul; 10-13-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This sounds like a job for the boys. We are loading up as I speak to come up and help engineer this project for ya Mike. Hold tight.

Buck
Old 10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Originally Posted by buck183
This sounds like a job for the boys. We are loading up as I speak to come up and help engineer this project for ya Mike. Hold tight.

Buck
LOL!!!

Y'all come on up! Pizza and beer is waiting for ya!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Mike,

Did you know that you left an engine stand at my place? The infamous 3 legged one that was a little tippy. I seem to remember an alternator making the ultimate sacrifice in order to save the BBC from serious damage while rotating the motor. If you come over to pick it up you can look at how I have my I-beam supported across the trusses and see if that gives you some ideas.

Call me, Doug
Old 10-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Answer your phone....
Old 10-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mike

The company that I work for makes square and rectangular steel tubing from 2" X 2" up to 10" X 10" and 1/8" up to 5/8" wall thickness. Many of the sizes are ID flash removed so they can telescope on other sizes. Let me know if you need any. Nobody will beat my prices.

Roger
Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
Nobody will beat my prices.

Roger
That's for sure!
Dan

Quick Reply: Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.