Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Re-gelling the bilge, pics included (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88860-re-gelling-bilge-pics-included.html)

Pure Energy 10-17-2004 12:02 PM

Re-gelling the bilge, pics included

1 Attachment(s)
This summer my exhaust risers corroded to the point of failure and water leaked into the heads. Exhaust was removed and heads sent out. Thankfully no internal damage!!

Went to marina 1 day to take a look, opened the engine hatch and my eyes almost popped out of my head!!! If anyone has followed my ordeals with this boat you know that there have been several diff. marinas working on these engines. Well, it now looks like a spaggetti dinner!!!! There were wires everywhere, plumbing was a mess, non-stainless and galvanizes parts all rusted, fiberglass dust from when the fuel tanks and bulkhead were replaced, corroded wire connections, and my own doing paint overspray everywhere!!!

I made the decision to pull the motors, gelcote the bilge, and re-rig all the wires and plumbing!!!

Today I finally finished sanding and prepping. I can't believe what a lousey job Sonic did! The gelcote job was horrible!!!! So I took my angle grinder and 50 grit sand paper and went to town! Now a final vacuum and rinse with acetone and I'm ready to shoot.

29scarab 10-17-2004 12:14 PM

Re: Re-gelling the bilge, pics included

Keep us posted.

glassdave 10-17-2004 01:56 PM

what kind of gel are you using and how do you plan to mix it? will you be using waxing agent or duratech? looks like you did a nice job prepping it which is what gives the best final results. :cool:

VelocityMark 10-17-2004 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Do yourself a favor and go ahead and remove the transom Assembly's and replace the gaskets on them while you have it down that far. It makes it a lot easier to to do the work you are doing and if they ever start leaking you will wish you had done it when you had the chance. I did mine last year and at the last min decided to change mine and I am glad I did.

R Addiction 10-17-2004 02:05 PM

Wow!! I thought my bilge was clean!!! :eek: :D :cool:

RLW 10-17-2004 02:35 PM

I am with Mark in regards to removing the Transom Assemblies. I just went through the same ordeal this spring. I like the gelcoat idea.
I went with a Pettit polyurethane high gloss paint.

Pure Energy 10-17-2004 02:37 PM

Glassdave- I got the gel from Fiber Glast and will be mixing with Duratec 1:1 as directed. I will do a final "wash down" with acetone to make sure all contaminants are out.

Velocity, I was thinking about that and probably the right thing to do!

I hope to get it done before the temp drops too much.

Audiofn 10-17-2004 08:54 PM

DO NOT go 1 to 1 with the Duratec if you ask me. 2-1 TOPS has been my experience. It gets WAY to little coverage if you go 1-1 and you can go 2-1 and still get the good results and advantages.

Jon

CBR 10-17-2004 09:41 PM

Looks great Pure Energy!!! I could not believe my 30SS bilge was black before I had mine redone. I assume yours was black also.

Trouble is, my engine compartment is beginning to look like spaggetti again!

glassdave 10-17-2004 10:06 PM

you will like the duratech but like audio said watch how much you use. 2 to 1 max (thats 2 parts gel to 1 part Duratech). also what type of gun will you be using?

by the way do you have any other pics of your boat you could post? i am going to be moving up from my scorpion in the next year and i think i have my mind set on a 88 to 90 31 foot sonic ss. i have always thought they were great looking boats and good performers as well. they seem to have everything i am looking for. thanks :cool: