Hendricks Motorsport Plane goes down >

Hendricks Motorsport Plane goes down

Notices

Hendricks Motorsport Plane goes down

Old 10-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hendricks Motorsport Plane goes down

I hate to see this and everyone will be in my prayers.

I just talked to an old buddie of mine that works in OKC for FAA and I must say this. I wish that pilots would learn how to fly in conditions and figure out that even though the person that owns the plane is the boss can be told that "we are going to a different airport because of weather". There was another accident near Austin earlier this year that killed a pilot that was a friend of mine, that just could not do this. I do not know what the cause is, but from what I have heard right now, this bothers me.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only speculation on my part,it looks like a accident that happens to often in aviation. Maybe even last week. They call it (CFIT) controlled flight into terrain. In aviation, situational awareness is paramount. In low weather and around mountains even more so. Not an easy task with alot going on. Some aircraft are equipped with (GPWS). (Ground proximity warning system). The major airlines are required to have it onboard. I'm don't know if their aircraft was so equipped. I read in the paper that the commuter crash in kirksville, they were to have GPWS installed by March 05. I have lost two pilot friends this way in two totally different situations. Both I considered good pilots. Another thread stated pilots are 3D bus drivers, that hurts. I will say that if one D is compromised the results can be disastrous. Very sad. My .02 Doug
Old 10-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

What a tragic loss.
I just had Dinner last Sunday with the Head engine builder Randy his wife and a VP with Nascar. He and his lovely wife were great. We're still thinking how it could happen to us also at any time. Randy was with hendrick for over twenty years. He was in charge of all engine related devolpment and also R/D with GM.
Besides being one of the top 5 people in the organization he was a down to earth great guy. Sat there drank wine and talked about BOATS/Motors for over a hour. He did all the boat motors for hendrick and dialed them in on his resent Skater. Man this is so wierd.

I hope his wife diane will be ok
GOD SPEED

Rick
Old 10-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This certainly was a terrible tragedy. Today's USA Today said that at least 20 pilots turned away from Blue Ridge Airport outside of Martinsville and landed at Danville Regional Airport on Sunday. I read elsewhere that the plane carried no recorders or ground proximity devices. I also read that Rick Hendrick cancelled from the flight because he wasn't feeling well and that Felix Sabates also cancelled from that flight. Felix was to have taken a helicopter, cancelled due to weather and then agreed to go on the Hendrick plane but cancelled at the last minute. Bill France notified Felix that the plane was missing and asked that he go to Rick's house to tell him that the plane was missing. Don't know if all this is true, but that is what is being reported. Rusty Wallace was on the Speed Channel Sunday night. He said that he has 9000 hours and felt that Martinsville and Talledega had the two riskiest approaches on the Nextel Circuit given their antiquated airport control systems. As I said, a terrible tragedy.