Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Intro from So. Cal. Newbie (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/89446-intro-so-cal-newbie.html)

Michael1 10-28-2004 01:01 AM

Intro from So. Cal. Newbie

Hi!

I just joined the OSO forum. I have been a boater since I was a kid (now in my 40s), and have piloted everything from flat bottom V-drives, jets, inboard ski boats, jet skis, outboard fishing boats, party boats, twin engine cabin cruiser, and even sailboats. The one boat I have never even ridden in is an offshore performance boat. I know, sad but true. :D This forum has been quite educational, and I am very impressed with the quality of the posts.

I live in Southern California, about 1/2 hours drive from the Channel Islands Harbor. Lately, I have been getting anxious about getting back out on the water, and in particular, out around the Ventura and Southern California Pacific. I have always enjoyed performance boats (and cars for that matter), so an offshore performance boat appeals to me.

My other dilemma is, while I have been on many of the lakes, delta, SF Bay, Colorado and Sacramento rivers, and the ocean outside the Golden Gate, I have never been on the ocean in So. Cal. (except for ferries, and they don't really count). I don't really know what boats work here.

So I was wondering if some members here could give me some advice.

1) What is the minimum size boat to get, and still enjoy yourself, not get beat up by the waves, and not be shut down at the first hint of wind?

2) Any particular models which work really well in the So. Cal. waters? I intend on purchasing used, and under $50K. I'd like something that can handle rough water, and probably twins (a little safer for the ocean)

3) It seems like most of the action is on the east coast. Anyone bought boats there and had them shipped back, or is it just not practical to stray out of So. Cal.?

4) Anyone mind letting a newbie tag along when they go out sometime, to show me what this is all about? :D

By the way, I will be at SEMA, if anyone wants to say Hi, or someone who can't make it wants me to look at something for them.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Michael

Love Machine 10-28-2004 07:55 AM

Re: Intro from So. Cal. Newbie

Welcome to the sickness called OSO! :D There are plenty of left coaters on this forum. I saw another thread asking about who's going to SEMA. You may want to search for that.

BajaFresh 10-28-2004 08:15 AM

So I was wondering if some members here could give me some advice.

1) What is the minimum size boat to get, and still enjoy yourself, not get beat up by the waves, and not be shut down at the first hint of wind?

I'd say 27/28 foot. You can go smaller (I used to run my 20' Baja Outlaw all the time) but size does matter.

2) Any particular models which work really well in the So. Cal. waters? I intend on purchasing used, and under $50K. I'd like something that can handle rough water, and probably twins (a little safer for the ocean)

CIGARETTE!
:D

3) It seems like most of the action is on the east coast. Anyone bought boats there and had them shipped back, or is it just not practical to stray out of So. Cal.?

I got mine from Ontario, Canada. Drove out and hauled it back.

4) Anyone mind letting a newbie tag along when they go out sometime, to show me what this is all about?

See below.

I've got this up for sale:

http://server1.offshoreonly.com/geoc...php?a=2&b=2521

I'm local to you (Simi). I may be going out of Channel Islands this weekend for a short run. Probably Saturday or early Sunday.

This is a great wave crusher yet still small enough to easily haul to Havasu. With seating for 11 it makes a great party / family boat yet it is a Cigarette and just do some checking here to see their reputation for ocean boats!

If you are interested in an acean run this weekend e-mail me at [email protected].

-Al

Formula Outlaw 10-28-2004 08:18 AM

Michael1, welcome to our mad mad world of OSO. Like "the Eagles" sang, "you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave".

Lots of good boats to choose from, I would spend the time and look for a very well kept older boat as you will be able to buy "larger" than a newer "smaller" boat.

Two older GREAT rough water boats are the Cig Bullet, and Formula 311 SR1.
With stock power neither are the fastest, but they handle the rough stuff as good as it gets for their size.

Lots of boat builders on West Coast that I'm not overly familiar with, others here I'm sure can post other valuable info.

Again WELCOME.....

lucky strike 10-28-2004 08:22 AM

Welcome to the board. I would look at OSO Member "Lofty's" 29 Fountain Supercharged 454s or "THISISTANK's" 24' Baja Outlaw with a 525SC.

LS JR.

Lofty 10-28-2004 11:59 AM

Hey Lucky, How's it going? Been talking to Lucky Jr.....

Michael, welcome. This is a great forum and most of the people are pretty good. Don't worry if you can't understand Puders posts, you'll get used to it. :D :D

As far as boat? Cig Bullet is a big bang fort buck. Lucky has a sweet Top Gun for sale that would treat you well. An non-step Fountain 29 twin is another good one in your $ range.

Just make sure to get a survey before you buy. Nothing worse than getting home and finding that you have a punky transom!

Whatever you end up with you'll want something faster. :rolleyes:

lucky strike 10-28-2004 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lofty
Hey Lucky, How's it going? Been talking to Lucky Jr.....

Michael, welcome. This is a great forum and most of the people are pretty good. Don't worry if you can't understand Puders posts, you'll get used to it. :D :D

As far as boat? Cig Bullet is a big bang fort buck. Lucky has a sweet Top Gun for sale that would treat you well. An non-step Fountain 29 twin is another good one in your $ range.

Just make sure to get a survey before you buy. Nothing worse than getting home and finding that you have a punky transom!

Whatever you end up with you'll want something faster. :rolleyes:

I said that, sorry. I would actually buy Lofty's 29 Fountain. This way he can buy our boat. It's got supercharged 454s right?

LS JR.

Lofty 10-28-2004 12:39 PM

:d :d :d

BADA BING 10-28-2004 01:44 PM

Welcome to the addiction :D

Michael some of the SCOPE guys live and boat up in your neck of the woods, Phantom Chaos (Nort), THISISTANK (TANK, Tank is aslo selling a 24 Baja you might be interested in as a starter boat???

Anyway welcome aboard, I will be @ SEMA next week too, booth #42927 www.cecwheels.com maybe I'll seeya there, I will be at the show Tuesday and Wednesday.

You can also check out the scope site @ www.scopeinfo.com

:cool: Jimbo!!!

Steamin Rice 10-28-2004 02:42 PM

Welcome to OSO.. I worked in Newbury Park a few years ago.. The Alamo and Sushi Oaks were great places there.....

Good luck with your boat shopping. I would suggest trying to get something 30+ feet with twins if possible.. I had a 29' Shockwave with a single engine and it worked well in the ocean, but I am now in the process of getting a 34' with twins..

Keep an eye out for that Bada Bing guy at SEMA.. Here's a pic of him working a deal at SEMA 2003.. :D

http://www.scopeinfo.com/images/2002...p/DSC00860.jpg