Notices

Coast Guard documentation

Old 11-01-2004, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coast Guard documentation

Hey Guys--

I am looking at a boat that is Coast Guard documented. There is no name or port of call on the back of the boat. I cannot easily see any numbers in any pictures of the engine compartmant either. I have not seen this boat in person yet. It is a high performance boat.

My question is this: If I ask the seller to give me the documentation info, how can I research any history on this boat?? I am curious if this boat was ever in salt water.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Coast Guard documentation

you can contact the documentation company and they will give you a history on the boat. i know there about 3 months in the rears with processing docs. submitted my paperwork the first week of july and was told 12-15 weeks til i receive mine
Old 11-01-2004, 04:12 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the documentation number or name of the boat and search here;
http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/commercia...g_vessel2.html

As for liens registered, order an abstract title here for $25 you'll get the transfer history and all liens current and past for the boat:

https://diy.dot.gov/cust/cdeploy?eca..._walkin.en.htm

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen a little quicker turnaround 10-12 wks. If you don't see any port of call or official # placard, perhaps it is documented but the guy is just non compliant with the display regs.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:37 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The titleing thing took a good 3-4 months here.

To get an abstract title on any rig is a lot faster. The one I got for the rig we bought last Feb. took no more than a week to come.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the documentation number and tonnage must be on the boat, the name and hailing port should be on the transom

Last edited by buckknekkid; 05-16-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

NJ State requires that a documented boat be registered as well. You know just another way for the state to get more money. Well anyway, I got my boat from the previous owner who lived in a non-title state. Went to the DMV to get registered, titled, and pay taxes. They told me I can't register until I get the official documentation. Good thing for me, I don't need to pay sales tax for another 3 months unitl the papers show up!!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow. No documentation numbers, hailing port or boat name. Lotsa red flags. Documentation numbers while big may be hidden (Mine are under a big Halon bottle). I'd definitely request the info from the seller. Lots of good info here from the board members, but what else would you expect?
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Registered

He has to have the numbers glassed into the engine compartment, Name has to be 6" tall, port 3" In MI we have to register also but they still don't see the price. It is a pain and the only benefit is not having to show numbers, we still have a reg sticker and I have found the no numbers thing to be a great probable cause to be pulled over. I don't drink a drop due to this, not a drop. For the $400 it costs to transfer I would say it is not worth it.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Registered

You do not need to go through a documenation company. I did it myself with help from the coast guards website, cost me $35.00 as opposed to HUNDERDS from a company. Really no big deal.

Quick Reply: Coast Guard documentation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.