An appeal to Insta Trim tab owners... >

An appeal to Insta Trim tab owners...

Notices

An appeal to Insta Trim tab owners...

Old 02-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An appeal to Insta Trim tab owners...

Hi guys/ gals,

I've recently been working on a Victory trim tab upgrade for the Insta trim trim tab by Boat Leveler. The largest obstacle to overcome is the fact that the original cylinders are quite short in comparison to say, a Bennett or Lenco ram (picture illustrates the Lenco, Insta Trim and Bennett trim tab rams) Of course this would put undue stress on the original rams when used with a much longer tab. My goal as always is to provide an upgrade that won't compromise the integrity of the existing rams.

I need some feedback from those who have experience running this particular brand. According to the factory there is an 11", 13" and a 16" angle cut tab used in production. Let's hear some feedback, good/ bad or ugly.

I may have to spread some prototypes out there...

Thanks all.

Brian Kamrath
Attached Thumbnails An appeal to Insta Trim tab owners...-lenco-bennett-insta-trim.jpg  
Old 02-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run their heavy-duty tabs seen here, pictured on the left.
Mine are 12"

I have nothing negative to say about them, they continue to perform as expected after almost 3 years.

The only complaint I have is that the electronic indicators are a little tempermental...Most of the time, I use the tabs purely by feel.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Registered

I have ran the single ram insta trim tab and they are horrible I could easily break two a rams a year. I now have the double ram insta trim tabs. They have been on for a year and not broke one yet.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered

I have a 280 Baja with small single ram tabs that I believe are insta trims. They are not worth much. If someone moves around in the boat, I need to use the tabs to balance the boat. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jim
Old 02-26-2004, 02:21 PM
Registered

Something else I wanted to 'throw' out there.

A simple way to overcome the cylinder shortness factor would be to build a stainless extension/ upper mount much like a standoff box used for outdrives. This would replace the current plastic mount and of course the lower mount would be incorporated into the Victory design in stainless. With this idea comes one catch...you knew there had to something, right?

In order to extend the ram with the aforementioned stainless bracket one would be required to pull an extra 2-3" of hose through the transom. Would this be objectionable to anyone? I realize it may be a bit of a pain due to sealants (3M 5200 would be a bear) and especially if there simply wasn't that much hose left to pull through. Just some more thoughts.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Brian
Old 02-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey Brian,
That's what I was thinking. With a bigger tab, you would want to mount the rams further out along the tab for leverage, which would require a longer ram or an extender block of some kind like you mentioned. I don't think the hose would be much of a problem, something that could easily be fixed. I know on my installation, I could easily come up with an extra few inches of hose buried inside the boat.

The only drawback to moving the mounting further out on the tab, would be reduced travel. But with a bigger tab, less angular motion is required to achieve a bigger effect.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Registered

Baja Daze- I couldn't have said it better myself. Still have you on my Insta-Trim 'wanted' list.

Did your tab installation utilize 3M 4200, 5200 or silicone? I know how well the 5200 series adheres to most anything but would be curious to know just how difficult it would be to pull some extra hose through the transom.

Brian
Old 02-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian... I haven't bought tabs from you because after looking at my Scarab I noticed they were insta trim not bennets... remember me inquiring before??? an 1983 34' Scarab-III.... their single ram... I'd love to to testing and evaluation for you ... and offer my boat... let me know if I can help... DAVE
Attached Thumbnails An appeal to Insta Trim tab owners...-poker-run-2.jpg  
Old 02-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Brian,
Thanks man!

You're tabs are on my list as well, but until now(soon?) you only made replacements for Bennits. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Anyway, the transom holes on my boat are plugged with 5200, the really tough stuff...however, it's not impossible to remove. 3M makes an equally good remover which makes de-install a snap. Pull the hose through and then re-seal it.

P.S.
That introductory price looks great! Any chance in extending that to the new insta-trim replacements.

Old 02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Too bad,

I couldn't wait, I have the dual ram and they SUCK. Bought a set of 23" fountain planes. Anybody want to buy a set with indicators and pump?

Quick Reply: An appeal to Insta Trim tab owners...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.