Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How to become a marine tech? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/89898-how-become-marine-tech.html)

MILD THUNDER 11-04-2004 06:31 PM

How to become a marine tech?

I am 24 years old. I am looking to get out of my construction career. It makes me miserable. I have been giving a lot of thought about going back to school. I have some experience on automobiles. I worked for 2 years as an apprentice through General Motors, at a pontiac gmc dealer. I attended classes for this program. I have also worked on cars since I was 14 years old. My question is, is there a lack of marine techs in the industry? I would love to work on performance boats and rig them. So why not make a career out of something I enjoy so much. Any input on this would be appreciated.

BRUCE SEROFF 11-04-2004 06:45 PM

Re: How to become a marine tech?

once you start doin it for a living, it wont be so much fun anymore.

just my .02

MILD THUNDER 11-04-2004 06:50 PM

I dont think it could be any worse than pouring concrete in 100 degree weather, and shoveling 10 tons of stone fill a day. :rolleyes:

BRUCE SEROFF 11-04-2004 06:52 PM

good point :D

LapseofReason 11-04-2004 07:39 PM

Well I turn a wrench for a living, I started on motorcycles as a kid then went to cars at 14 or so then pro at 18, ASE master tech at 24 then went back to bikes at 25 full time. I did bike's on the side all along because I raced, I was better at it than the people that worked at the bike shops so I had so much side work it was hard to do and I liked it better, so I went full time.

I do all of the work on my boat, this year it's a 98 Nor-Tech 5000 V I had to pull the center motor and take the front off the port motor. I laid on top of the generator for 6 hours,it suck's working on boat's Justtonight pt 6 new tires on my truck and aligned it, that sucked.
I like fixing stuff and I train new people all the time and the main thing that holds them back is being able to buy tools. I got luck I didn't have to many bills when I started and was able to buy tools, if you are going to get into this Field to be able to get it done fast enough to make $$$ you will have to buy 30-50 K in tools the first 2 years. I don't owe a penny now but have over 200k in tools and still have to buy stuff from time to time.

tizbad4 11-04-2004 08:48 PM

If you are a contortionist, with thin long arms and can stand on your head for hours your in.

offthefront 11-04-2004 08:58 PM

Umm exuse me ....but so far everything I have done to the motors ...they get pulled ...piece of cake to work on out of the boat ...Course I'm paying for it ....

R Addiction 11-04-2004 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
once you start doin it for a living, it wont be so much fun anymore.

just my .02

I used to love workin' on my cars, race cars.....Now after 22 years as an Auto Tech.... :( :hothead:

I'd love to work on boats all day...if it were my boat ONLY!! Turning a hobby into a job has it's bad points!!! :p

R Addiction 11-04-2004 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I dont think it could be any worse than pouring concrete in 100 degree weather, and shoveling 10 tons of stone fill a day. :rolleyes:

At least you get a good tan and stay in shape!!!! :D

C_Spray 11-05-2004 12:45 AM

On the constructive side - check out Universal Technical Institute's Marine program. They're a first-rate operation. After that, go to T'n'T Custom Marine and beg them for a starting-level position. You'll learn everything the right way.