Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

Notices

Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

Old 11-07-2004, 04:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts
Default Re: Dually? is it really needed? Good and bad issues

I went from a '93 Chevy 454 dually crew cab to an '01 Chevy 2500HD crew cab with 8.1/allison. The 2500hd rides better and gets better mileage. Its a hell of a lot easier to drive around town. The dually was a pain in the ass. About the only plus of the dually over the 2500hd was a little more stability towing at highway speeds. The dually also had to be 4wd if there was any snow on the ground.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a1998 v10 Dodge dually, a 2003 Chevy 3500 dually, and I just picked up my 2005 Ford crewcab dually PS diesel. No problem driving them around town once you get used to it. You definitly need 4x4
Old 11-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

I already threw my 2 cents in but I just looked and seen you are in minnesota. My number one complaint with the dually i had is you had no choice but to run it in four wheel drive if there was even slush on the road because the tires don't track in every one else's tracks and with the extra flotation it climbed up on top of the snow/slush and wandered all over spinning the tires. I ran the skinniest tires with the deepest tread i could find and it helped but on long snowmobile trips to the upper penninsula i just dreaded driving it in four wheeldrive (absolutely atrocious gas mileage). These guys in florida and other states can say you should get a toyota if your worried about gas mileage but if your towing in the snow getting four-five mpg it really adds up fast at 2$ plus a gallon. I love my srw tire duramax and until i get a boat or race car trailer that weighs more than six tons i can go snomobiling too with the truck and burn 100$ worth of gas where i used to spend 300$,Smitty
Also,my srw 2500hd duramax has the SAME gvwr weight rating of the 3500 dually.

Last edited by articfriends; 11-07-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel and drone from Indiana to Arizona to pick up a 382 Formula I found on the internet. The truck had plenty of power and for the most part towed pretty straight. When it came to hills with turns and passing semis it got a little white knuckly. A month after I returned I purchased a new Dodge dually and have towed the boat quite a bit. I use the truck as a daily driver and have really gotten used to it. I would actually prefer the truck over my wifes or daughters vehicles! I actully look forward to towing with it.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2004 Ford crew cab 4wd long bed dually 6.0, I had an Excursion since 2000 with the 7.3 and had absolutly no compliants with the truck, I tow a 37 Active Thunder, the only reason I changed is we are thinking of getting a bigger boat one day, and I have had the need for a truck alot more than an SUV, it is only my wife and me. The dually is only a boat puller and purpose truck for me, I dont drive it much,for anything else. I have learned something from this post about duallys, becareful in the snow or dont drive it at all. I am lucky that I have another truck Toyota T100 4wd. Thanks