Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   22 Pachanga, how fast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90012-22-pachanga-how-fast.html)

Biggus 11-06-2004 10:34 PM

22 Pachanga, how fast?

We have an old 1986 22 Pachanga and we love it so much.

They have got to be one of the coolest little speedboats ever produced.

Ours has the orig. 350 Magnum.

How much power can the hull handle, set up properly.

masher44 11-06-2004 11:19 PM

Re: 22 Pachanga, how fast?

Owned an 88' with a 454... GREAT boat! I always wished I kept it... it only had 115 hours in 1998. I would think a 500 or 525 EFI would make her hit close to 70. I think you could max out at about 750hp and not get too sideways.

Waterfoul 11-06-2004 11:37 PM

I think a 500 would get your boat well over 70 Kurt. Hell, it does 60 with the stock 350 mag (I got a GPS 54 mph out of it on a terrible day, into the wind, 1/2 tank of fuel, and 3 guys in it).

Fun boat too!!

'Foul

HOUSTONPROP 11-07-2004 01:43 AM

Yep The Pachanaga is and was a hot looking boat back in the days ,I wished they still made them ,Back in 80's they were up there in price 30,000 for a 22 or maybe it was a 24 anyway post a picture if you can.I always wanted one just didn't go for it bad enough,stuck with my Bayliner 24 Cobra offshore which had the 350 carbed/260 hp and the Bayliner would almost take it ,due to it was much lighter ,one thing my old boat would take the big waves and it was one of the sleekest Bayliner Cobra's built. :eek:

Darin

Rippem 11-07-2004 02:25 AM

The 22' had an incredible (20'6") bottom. Fantastic handling boat. 500 hp will get you ~80 mph.

jaybird 11-07-2004 03:28 AM

I'd be carefull putting a ton of power into one of those. I was looking at buying a 27' a few years ago, and my fiberglass repair guy told me that he used to do warranty repairs for Sea Ray back then. He said that some of those were not built well at all and had some serious issues / warranty claims. That's probably why they stopped making them. So if yours is ok, might be better left alone. However, the 22' may be different than the 27.

Rippem 11-07-2004 04:55 AM

NOT. :rolleyes: I've seen a ****load of them come thru my (friends) marina since the 80's. A long time large volume Sea Ray dealer who sold a lot of Pacs (and ran them himself). I have never ever seen one with structural issues of any kind. I had two myself...22' and a 27'. They had some constuction and layup features that were ahead of thier time. Not profitable enough (remember this is SeaRay were talking about) is why they went away. Truly a gentelman's sportboat much in the same vien as Formula SR's of the time. They were done quite well and attractive. The 27' rode softer than the 32' and was a big 27' with an excellent cabin, both in terms of layout and styling. Those high back rounded bolsters with the stand-off headrests were awesome looking and comfortable. The 27' with SB mags was an excellent package. The 22' was just about the most fun boat I ever had. A little tail heavy with 454/Bravo...but man did that thing handle like a slot car. You could tuck the trim in and come around as hard as you wanted at speed and that boat refused to bobble, slide, or misbehave in any way. dig in so hard it'd pitch you right out if you didn't have a GOOD grip. I landed mine so hard a couple of times it stalled. My buddy did an oops and landed his (twin turbo small block) 22' so hard it drove the engine mount ears and bottom nuts to the bottom of the threaded mount posts. I still see both our old 22's (and many more, including 27's) every summer. Still in one piece 15 years later!!! Stress cracks are not even that common. There were none in my two when I sold them.

The warranty claims for blistering were common (for much of the industry I might add) at the time, some had gelcoat blistering, some didn't.

DON'T CONFUSE THIS WITH STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY! :mad:

BUIZILLA 11-07-2004 07:58 AM

Kurt, what shape is the existing engine package in now??

Jim

Airpacker 11-07-2004 08:06 AM

I met a guy on a poker run this summer that had a vortech charged 502efi in one. I looked over to my right at 80 and he was right there beside me. Says he runs 82 to 84 load dependant. Nice sleeper package.

DonziDog 11-07-2004 08:21 AM

I have an '88 22' Pachanga in my shop right now that is flawless--not a sign of a stress crack anywhere. This boat is a 454-Alpha , but I have not run it. I also have 2 late 80's 32 footers in the shop that IVAN mistreated.....Rick