Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Notices

Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Old 11-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Originally Posted by mpally
$20 bucks a foot and it is not even covered!!
In fairness, they do flush and cover your boat. What IS nice is that you call ahead and your boat is launched and waiting for you.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:17 PM
45 Lip Ship / 900 Zul's
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't have a truck, and don't particularly want to get one. What are people's thoughts about mooring a boat, and using a hydro-hoist to get it out of the water, spraying it down after use, flushing the cooling system, and covering it with a full cover? Is anyone doing this, and what are your experiences?

I live near the Pacific, so this would be salt water. I've seen people do this here on occasion with offshore performance boats, but I am not sure how well it works out.

Thanks.

Michael
Buy a sea ray

Rick OSG
Old 11-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ONESICKGLADIATOR
Buy a sea ray

Rick OSG
Or a Buddy Davis.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

I keep all my boats on lifts and don't own trailers for any of the boats. They even spend the winters on the lift all wrapped up. I couldn't imagine having to tow my boat someplace to use it and dealing with the idiots at the ramp. Or if I come home from work and decide to take a ride but can't because the high-n-dry is closed for the night.
Put the boat on some sort of lift, like a hydro-hoist or the lifts that are advertised here on oso look good.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mpally
$20 bucks a foot and it is not even covered!! That seems really high. Our boats sits in a covered dock on a lift at LOTO. Boat is in the water in 15 and that is with both a cockpit cover and full cover. I can't image paying $800 a month for rack storage and the boat is still exposed to the elements.
Move to West side Los Angeles... Outside storage for an automobile without any cover is over $100.00 a month... If you want to store an automobile inside it's over $200.00 per month.... $800.00 a month with unlimited launching and washdown/backflush is pretty reasonable. Compared to the cost of maintaining a big tow vehicle and trailer,, it begins to look cheap. I used to do my own trailer maintanence so it didn't kill me... but then you have to have a place to park the boat while it is on the trailer. Unless you own a big yard... you are f---ed.. Some of the neighborhoods in the nicer areas of Los Angeles have ordinances about parking boats and rv's in your yard. I know in Glendale that if you want to park your RV overnight while you get ready for a trip... you have to go downtown and purchase a parking permit. There is something to be said about living in the country.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Registered

If you don't want to tow... you can always put the boat in a slip on a hydro-hoist. But.... then you have to do all the maintanence on the hoist and the boat. If you want to pop 12 grand for the hoist and about 15.00 per foot then your monthly outlay is less... but you do all the work.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fightclub
Leaving the boat in the water can and will take years off its usuable life. If you dont want to trailer which is a PITA, how about Rack and Launch in a marina? Much better option that Morring. Pick up the phone and wala your boating my man!

It would get old in a hurry trying full cover a boat on the water.

My .02
I agree in salt water,but here in Lake George everybody who can afford it
has a slip and leaves their boats in the water. There are alot of 10-20 year
old boats that look great. It's all a matter of how you care for them. The
major upside is you just jump in it and go.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

I bought my HydroHoist for about $7k . . . my slip is $350/mo ( just jacked yesterday to $400 ) . . . it was about $11/ft. @ $350/mo.

So right now, I'm trying to decide whether to dump the HH boatlift, and start trailering, . . . OR jack up the rent on my rental house by $50 to pay for my habit. . . it's a tough call.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Registered

I remember pricing a hydro hoist in 99.... it was almost 12 grand..... where did you get one for 7K?........
Old 11-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
I bought my HydroHoist for about $7k . . . my slip is $350/mo ( just jacked yesterday to $400 ) . . . it was about $11/ft. @ $350/mo.

So right now, I'm trying to decide whether to dump the HH boatlift, and start trailering, . . . OR jack up the rent on my rental house by $50 to pay for my habit. . . it's a tough call.
Are you moored in Newport?....

Quick Reply: Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.