Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is paypal 100% safe?????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90050-paypal-100%25-safe.html)

Namwot 11-08-2004 08:50 AM

Re: Is paypal 100% safe??????

If he is over seas, it is 99.9% SCAM!

Do NOT trust anything.

Cashiers checks can be forged, I have one for $3500.00 that is fake!

Do some searching on the net, I bet you can find some info about the deal.

Nothing is 100% safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paypal had some really big scams, people sending out email to verify account info, now these people have 100's of real account info, they can pay with someone elses account, ask you for their money back with a sob story, you fall for that, then the real guy with the pay pal account catches it, Paypal can't make the real guy pay for it, he probably don't have that kind of money, now you lose all the way around.

Run while you can!!!!!!!

ofshore 11-08-2004 08:59 AM

Like njgr8ful said, i think it is much riskier for the buyer to use paypal but nothing is 100% for the seller either. I'd probably opt for a wire transfer just to be safe but if he insists on using paypal tell him you'll need to hold the boat for a couple of months to make sure the funds clear.

Johno 11-08-2004 09:05 AM

Hey Rick,
Paypal sucks! I got screwed by Paypal & had fight & threaten the buyer. I got paid :D Paypal still froze my account due the other guy trying to scam the system. Long story short , they got their commision $352-00, I had fight to get my money through other channels. If you get paid by Paypal, withdraw the funds from your Paypal account, ie cash out. Then redeposit the cash into another account. Do not do anything electronic! The banks/Paypal will reverse anything electronic they want! Drop us line if I can help.
John
PS: http://www.paypalwarning.com/
Also much has been said about Paypal here on OSO

MESABALANCING 11-08-2004 09:11 AM

I don't know other peoples problems with them but i can tell you from my personal experience that I had money taken out three different times and my password was also changed those three times I had to close my account and they have never made my money good or given me any type of answer as to were my money went this was to the tune of $1500 this is not bullsh*t they just prolonged the problem and never gave me an answer I will never do business with them again Laz Mesa

Johno 11-08-2004 09:12 AM

Rick,
Just remember that the Banks / Paypal are a law unto themselves. If they suspect anything suspicious/ fraudulent they will cover their asses. There is no such thing they "can't" withdraw funds as previously mentioned earlier. The word "can't" does not exist...should read.."should not". I experienced the the withdrawl of funds 1st hand!

Andy Buzz 11-09-2004 07:42 PM

I am an ebay platinum powerseller and can tell you that paypal does not offer seller protection on international transactions. Once you ship out of the 48 states all bets are off. Paypal is great for ups shipped transactions within the 48 states that can be shipped to a confirmed address with signature required delivery. Without that, you are kissing your money goodbye.

I would not suggest doing any international deal without prepayment of certified funds. Even a wire transfer can be cancelled and reversed. Get you certified, wait five business days for clearing, and then only after verification begin shipping process slowly.

There are enough good buyers in the US to not need the risk of an international deal.

FastForward 11-09-2004 08:36 PM

No, It's not safe at all. At anytime they can freeze any of your funds is the buyer disputes the purchase. They are not FDIC insured. See WWW.PAYPALWARNING.COM

MIAMIBOYZ 11-09-2004 09:14 PM

Rick I use Paypal everyday local transactions only and it is safe, however, overseas wire transfer only.

FastForward 11-10-2004 06:06 AM

I also used it every day as well, That dosen't make it safe. I lost $2100. I sold a 2 GPS systems to someone in California. 51 days after he received them he wanted to return both of them but he already mounted and used them and no longer had the boxes. (nothing was wrong with them, he said they were too sophisticated for him) . I told him I wouldn't take them back, I can't do anything with them. They are now used goods. He disputed the credit card he used to make the Pay Pal payment and they immediatly took that amount out of Pay Pal account and they charged another $10 for the reversal.. When you sign up for Pay Pal you agree to let them do this. I contacted Pay Pal and they said they will look into the matter it can take up to 120 days. That was 6 monthes ago. I got nothing, not even an email.